Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

winegums posted:

it is a gaffe. It passes on to the majority decisions made by the elite. it makes people feel affronted and angry when they're accused of making decisions they not only don't make, but ones which they don't have the agency to make.

Yea I get the point, and Abbot isn't exactly know for her careful language or nuanced positions on complex topic. But this was literally the purpose of our empire which wreaked misery and destruction across the globe for centuries and if our politicians, and we as a country, could maybe be a little more honest about that then maybe things would be a little less poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Lets not forget this article had to be written a few days ago because lots of people got mad that a small music venue named after a literal slave wanted to change its name.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/27/bristol-city-slave-trader-edward-colston

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"We are not the descendants of the people who colonised your country, we are the descendants of their servants"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

vodkat posted:

Yea I get the point, and Abbot isn't exactly know for her careful language or nuanced positions on complex topic. But this was literally the purpose of our empire which wreaked misery and destruction across the globe for centuries and if our politicians, and we as a country, could maybe be a little more honest about that then maybe things would be a little less poo poo.

Yes but quiet introspection isn't popular at the moment. You need to deal with the country you have. Which is full of angry reactionary racists. You can "tell it like it is" all you like, don't expect to get in power.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 30, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TomViolence posted:

Funny thing about Trotskyism, Marxism-Leninism and all their offshoots: they're all named after dudes who've ostensibly got the definitive inside track on what Marx actually meant, so I guess it's no surprise they're susceptible to cult-like behaviours.

Pretty sure Marx know what Marx meant

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This would be really loving funny if it turns out to be real (which it probably won't):

https://twitter.com/DrAlakbarov/status/858726636019228673

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

I think it would be legitimate to ask why religions have to run such places as The Passage in the first place,

Because government doesn't fund it and communities of churchgoers dedicate lots of their time, energy and money to good causes?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pretty sure Marx know what Marx meant

Yeah but in this case the relevant component of marxism-leninism is the leninism bit, and that (the political-organisational component) is where you start to see the weirdness creep in. Trotskyism could just as easily be called Marxism-Trotskyism; same for Stalinism, and a bunch of other approaches. It's all these massively egotistical and power hungry dudes who basically broadly agree on the economic questions and the Marxist analysis of capital, but who fight like cats and dogs over how you get there and how you organise to do it.
This is all helped (read: made far worse) because Marx's political (as opposed to economic) opinions were mostly just implied in the text that everybody read (Capital). He never really sat down and laid out his own views for what Communism should look like in real detail, nor did he lay out a detailed strategy for getting there. The Manifesto is just that - a manifesto - and doesn't even vaguely approach the detail of Capital. This left a lot of wiggle room for the aforementioned egotistical shitheads to promise everybody that they and only they knew how to get to Full Communism, so you better shut up and get in line if you wanna get there.

Same poo poo still happening today.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

learnincurve posted:

"We are not the descendants of the people who colonised your country, we are the descendants of their servants"

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes but quiet introspection isn't popular at the moment. You need to deal with the country you have. Which is full of angry reactionary racists. You can "tell it like it is" all you like, don't expect to get in power.

I'm sure the descendants of slaves, who's countries are still dealing with the shitshow empire left them in (remember there are still lots of people alive who were born into the british empire) will be very receptive and forgiving to these arguments.

Oh wait, nevermind here's a very diplomaticly stated sampler of whats to come:
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/apr/28/tories-imperial-vision-post-brexit-trade-deal-disruptive-deluded

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TheRat posted:

This would be really loving funny if it turns out to be real (which it probably won't):

time to find out if being under investigation during an election only affects women, or only affects those remotely left of centre

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if your preferred nomenclature is "Marxism-Leninism" despite the superior cadence of "Marxist-Leninism", which all good cadre will know is crucial.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Corbyn shouldn't have stood with the SWP but the Home Office helped to cover up rape aligation in immigrant detention centres so while Theresa May was in charge of it.

TheRat posted:

The most the BBC would cover it would be saying Corbyn didn't land any real blows on it and May didn't seem bovered mate like every time the Tories get caught out being crooks.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

TheRat posted:

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a (popular) cult that actually self-identified as a cult?

They had a resurgence of popularity with the tracks "rain" and "she sells sanctuary" being on gta soundtracks but much of their other work is a bit samey tbh

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What about the descendents of women who only got the vote after the empire was falling? Do the men have to apologise to all women who never got to vote as well?

Expecting people to apologise for the people who used to live in the same country as they live in now for something they had literally nothing to do with, is as silly as football fans chanting two world wars and one World Cup at football matches with Germany.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

learnincurve posted:

What about the descendents of women who only got the vote after the empire was falling? Do the men have to apologise to all women who never got to vote as well?

Expecting people to apologise for the people who used to live in the same country as they live in now for something they had literally nothing to do with, is as silly as football fans chanting two world wars and one World Cup at football matches with Germany.

Most people now think that women should have equal rights with men. Most brits still think empire wasn't all that bad. Its not that uncommon for people to be fond of it, and even remember it with a warm nostalgia. There is a very big difference between these two things.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

learnincurve posted:

This is a bad opinion. We in the first world still, still enjoy the material advantages of the dispossession of previous generations, and their descendents both at home and in the diaspora still suffer the consequences of that exploitation and its many hangovers. The disruptive, corrosive effects of western colonisation and exploitation of what would later become the global south and the attendant uprooting and displacement of their populations is a historic wound that may never be healed, the least we can do is be contrite about it and let those voices into the discourse about what in our past we do and don't celebrate.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

They had a resurgence of popularity with the tracks "rain" and "she sells sanctuary" being on gta soundtracks but much of their other work is a bit samey tbh

Fire Woman was pretty good.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

learnincurve posted:

Actually yes, it's right that individuals who are the beneficiary of circumstances from before their time, but who now live at the same time as individuals who suffer from the consequences of that inequality, should make sacrifices for the betterment of all.

The patriarchy and slavery, colonialism and imperialism were all bad things that still have an impact on the world today. So long as individuals enjoy the benefits of those legacies they should strive to raise the situation of people who are the opposite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of the excuses used by the elite to justify the institution of slavery was the contemporary existence of impressment. "We kidnap people from Africa, put them in chains and whip them for the good of the colonies, but we do the same to people from Devon for the good of the navy, so it's not really that unjustifiable."

Wilberforce was accused of hypocrisy by both defenders of slavery and abolitionists like Sharp who opposed both institutions for trying to make distinctions between the two.

I think that really hammers home the need for solidarity between workers of all races, but it's also key to remember that whenever the rulers in Britain have used race to play divide and rule, it's the 'whiter' of the two groups that tended to be given the most cards.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*holds up new edition "bad things" cards*

Slavery: Bad
Cannibalism: Bad
Systemic abuse: Bad
Anime: Badly good
Mayonaise: Bad
Pop Science: Bad
New Dr who episodes: Bad

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

*holds up new edition "bad things" cards*

Slavery: Bad
Cannibalism: Bad
Systemic abuse: Bad
Anime: Badly good
Mayonaise: Bad
New Dr who episodes: Bad

You need to add Robot Wars to this list.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

What kind of pop science are we talking about here?

Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about astrophysics is good. Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about areas of science he doesn't know is bad. 90% of non-academic texts with Quantum in the title are bad. Khan Academy is good (I think).

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

gently caress off mate you do not

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I tell you what is BAD all these blasted IMMIGRANTs

we should call them immys

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like you would if you had a child called Imogen?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I agree with you on a lot of things but seriously gently caress off on this, Robot wars this year was great fun.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

This is pretty neat - an ex-homeless person has raised money to kit out a travelling bus to provide a safe space and permanent address for rough sleepers.

There's a short video about it on the Beeb here.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

What kind of pop science are we talking about here?

Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about astrophysics is good. Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about areas of science he doesn't know is bad. 90% of non-academic texts with Quantum in the title are bad. Khan Academy is good (I think).

Bill Nye Saves the World.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
New Robot Wars gave us this and it justifies it's existence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/grown-man-storms-robot-wars-10014733

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

learnincurve posted:

What about the descendents of women who only got the vote after the empire was falling?
This is everyone currently alive, so doesn't seem like a massively useful distinction

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pissflaps posted:

What

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

bessantj posted:

Bill Nye Saves the World.

Ah, the series that got people calling him a pedophile cuck because he acknowledges that gender isn't as simple as "there is penis, there is vagine"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

Ah, the series that got people calling him a pedophile cuck because he acknowledges that gender isn't as simple as "there is penis, there is vagine"

The hell? I get the cuck part but where did they get the pedo part from?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bessantj posted:

The hell? I get the cuck part but where did they get the pedo part from?

Kids as young as five can know they're trans. Ergo he's a pedo.

Milo who?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kids as young as five can know they're trans. Ergo he's a pedo.

Milo who?

jfc, that's it? This is a really important issue you'd hope people would have more tact.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bill Nyes recent Netflix series has quite a few glaring history errors in it, which is proof that science isn't everything (seriously wikipedia will tell you stonehenge wasn't built by celtic druids, there's no excuse.)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sky news is running a pretty amusing montage of May's staged attempts to do door knocking in Aberdeenshire and it going horribly wrong as she looks increasingly more uncomfortable by the moment. It's made all the better by shots of in the distance Ruth Davidson having a grand old time herself with people.

https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1735610159786907/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sky news is running a pretty amusing montage of May's staged attempts to do door knocking in Aberdeenshire and it going horribly wrong as she looks increasingly more uncomfortable by the moment. It's made all the better by shots of in the distance Ruth Davidson having a grand old time herself with people.

I like how she was about to gently caress off without saying goodbye to Davidson.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Skinty McEdger posted:

"I'm a doorstep campaigner" = six doors with no answer and then fucks off, good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

TheRat posted:

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a (popular) cult that actually self-identified as a cult?

Rajneesh?

Prince John posted:

This is pretty neat - an ex-homeless person has raised money to kit out a travelling bus to provide a safe space and permanent address for rough sleepers.

There's a short video about it on the Beeb here.

That's indeed excellent stuff. If only Thatcher hadn't made it one of her missions to stamp out the New Age Traveller culture (or Medieval Brigands if you're a Tory) in the 80s, maybe we'd have more of this going on. Lots of them ended up homeless after the crackdown of course.

nothing to seehere posted:

Bill Nyes recent Netflix series has quite a few glaring history errors in it, which is proof that science isn't everything (seriously wikipedia will tell you stonehenge wasn't built by celtic druids, there's no excuse.)

Really? Fuckin' hell. That's not a glaring error that's straight up unreconstructed Victorian antiquarianism. No excuse for that to appear in a supposed 'Science Guy's programme.

• Locked thread