Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Aren't we all, on some level, Andy Semple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/rpy/status/857551378813603844

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
You got: Ani Dav
You withdrew your candidacy in Queensland after One Nation realised you could not pay the registration fee, but not before performing several hundred hours of unpaid marketing work.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
"I wanna know what these immigrants are saying about me!"
"They're calling you a gently caress-knuckle like everyone else."

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Former chief minister Adam Giles says he 'can't recall' more than 60 times in first hour of questioning over Don Dale [ABC]

Memory that bad should exclude you from ever holding a job and having someone manage your estate for you.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Sorry but I didn't say that she did this thing that I shared with you all as truth I just shared it and if you believed it then too bad. The poo poo I got for it though made me say sorry, doesn't mean I'm sorry just that I'm sorry for the hassle that I got over doing this.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Who the gently caress is Kim vuga

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Using my magic powers of pattern recognition I'm going to say "A racist"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Don't play coy, we know you're into all the hard right fringe party nutter bullshit.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

In case you missed it though Anne Aly copped a load of poo poo for not laying a wreath at ANZAC day ceremonies despite the fact she did and it was all bullshit started by racist shitheads. Kim helped make it go viral and when she got called out for it being bullshit she said it wasn't her job to fact check stuff it was the journos responsibility. She did not retract anything until she started getting too much heat for being a chucklefuck.

And that is how we got to here.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bogan King posted:

Don't play coy, we know you're into all the hard right fringe party nutter bullshit.

I only have capacity for so many self harm hobbies and football season is back on so I'm out of the loop with this

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Age posted:

A man who killed his partner on Anzac Day chased her and their children to a neighbour's house before killing her and himself with a high-powered rifle, police have revealed.

Greg Floyd, 43, was seen carrying the rifle as he chased his partner, Ora Holt, and their four children, aged between 10 and four years old, from their home in Belle Avenue, Wangaratta about 12.50pm.

Homicide squad Detective Sergeant Paul Tremain said the family sought refuge in the next-door neighbour's home – occupied by another young family.

The neighbours fled to safety with Ms Holt's four children, and their own two, before the armed man smashed his way inside and found her in the bedroom.

The couple were found dead inside the house about 5.10pm on Tuesday, more than four hours after shots were fired.

"There's the children involved and to have it happen at a neighbour's home, he's got kids himself, it's just devastating," Detective Sergeant Tremain said.

But hey Yasmin saying Lest We Forget (all the current bullshit too) is the real problem.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Is Chris Kenny still a fuckwit?

https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/857786940850003968

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Solemn Sloth posted:

She was one of the driving forces of Reclaim Australia

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Um... she posted it on facebook?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Saturday Paper posted:

One Nation risks deregistration in Queensland following the failure of Pauline Hanson to advise the Electoral Commission of Queensland about a botched incorporation that has left it with a noncompliant constitution. The party secretly switched legal structures last November without telling members, using a draconian clause in its superseded governance rules that allowed One Nation state executive members to do whatever they chose without question. Former insiders have said a principal purpose for the incorporation was to put in place a corporate veil so the entity rather than members of the executive would be the subject of legal action.

The method of incorporation and the failure to consult is consistent with a trend of centralising all of One Nation’s power in Queensland, which has in the past been illustrated by attempts to close branches across the country through the use of proxies to forcibly remove “troublesome” state leaders, attempts to close bank accounts over which the One Nation national committee had no authority, and the initiation of complaints to police to intimidate a sub-branch in the Northern Territory.

At the same time, the party neglected to observe mandatory rules contained in Commonwealth and Queensland electoral laws, which must be included in its constitution for One Nation to be a political party with legal standing. Breaches of provisions that specify which clauses must appear for a constitution to be compliant under law are grounds for the cancellation of a party’s registration under Section 78 of Queensland’s Electoral Act.

Neither Senator Hanson nor the deputy registered officer – party treasurer and Hanson’s brother-in-law Greg Smith – informed the electoral commission of the changes in legal structure of the entity. There were two reporting deadlines missed by One Nation – notification of the changes should have been delivered seven days after December 31 and March 31.

A LETTER FROM THE NATIONAL COMMITTEE OF ONE NATION REQUESTED THE ACCOUNT BE FROZEN. IT SOUGHT TO HAVE THE FUNDS TRANSFERRED FROM WA TO THE NATIONAL DIVISION.

News of One Nation’s constitutional high jinks follows revelations over the past six months related to the party’s preselection and disendorsement processes during the West Australian election, questions about its compliance with goods and services tax legislation, and doubts about the donation and declaration of an aeroplane to Pauline Hanson for campaigning purposes.

It also follows a network-wide ban of the ABC, announced in a Facebook video posted by Hanson after the April 3 airing of a Four Corners report that highlighted a range of issues faced by One Nation. The program, criticised by Hanson and her colleagues as a media “stitch-up”, has resulted in a formal investigation by the Australian Electoral Commission, related to the donation of the two-seater plane.

Pauline Hanson’s One Nation is the business name of One Nation Queensland Division Incorporated, which was an unincorporated association since it registered on January 23, 2001. That changed last year when the entity was incorporated with the same ABN.

The entity is regarded as the same for tax purposes and the name of the unincorporated body has transitioned into the incorporated form.

There is also another business name that is attached to the ABN. One Nation is getting ready for a Tasmanian foray and it has a business name, Pauline Hanson’s One Nation – Tasmania, ready for use when the party secures registration in the state.

Documents obtained from Queensland’s Office of Fair Trading state that the incorporation of One Nation Queensland Division is effective from November 16, 2016, and that the association had adopted the model rules rather than develop their own.

While the incorporation was effective from November last year the party updated its online ABN Lookup entry for the change in its entity name much later. The party updated its ABN Lookup entry to reflect the change in registered name, and the entry now states that the name change was registered on February 28.

The model rules, which a committee of a group can adopt with the tick of a box online, are compliant with the associations’ legislation in Queensland but they are not designed for groups that have a broader purpose than running a club or society.

Political parties, for example, can use the model rules as a base to ensure compliance with the state-based legislation but they must also amend the model rules to accommodate the requirements of the electoral commissions in the jurisdictions in which they want to stand candidates.

Queensland’s Greens are incorporated under the same state law legislation and they have built in to their constitution the relevant clauses or rules of association to ensure that they comply with electoral regulation. This includes the objective to endorse and run candidates for election to the Legislative Assembly in Queensland, which is one of several required clauses in Queensland law.

One Nation Queensland Division does not have the objective of running candidates in the latest iteration of its foundation governance document. All that its two-page association rules disclosure states is that it has the objective to “operate a political party” and any new members, who must be 18 years of age or over, have to support just one association objective: operate a political party.

No policies or other objectives such as those reflected on the One Nation website or the previous constitution appear in the form filled in by the party and obtained from the Office of Fair Trading.

The total page count for their current governance blueprint as regulated by the Office of Fair Trading is 16 pages: two pages of minor filling in of blanks and 14 pages of a set of basic unamended model rules. One Nation’s previous compliant constitution was 49 pages long.

A similar issue was encountered by One Nation in 1997 when there was an application to register the party in Queensland. The party first lodged an application that had the same words as the one prepared for the national electoral commission, which only referred to the Commonwealth parliament.

No mention was made in that instance to the state parliament and an amendment was necessary for the paperwork – including the constitution – to be compliant.

The model rules adopted by One Nation last November also fail to include the following prescribed clauses as specified in Section 76(1) of Queensland’s electoral act: a rule prohibiting a person from becoming a member of the party if the person has been convicted of a disqualifying electoral offence within 10 years before the person applies to become a member; a rule prohibiting a person from continuing as a member of the party if the person is convicted of a disqualifying electoral offence; a statement about how the party manages its internal affairs such as the formal party structure and processes for dispute resolution; a rule or rules for the selection of a candidate to be endorsed by the party for an election or an election for a local government; and, rules requiring that preselection ballots must satisfy the general principles of free and democratic elections.

Section 76(2) of the legislation lists a range of features of democratic elections as applied to a preselection ballot.

That the absence of critical clauses in the association’s rules jeopardises the party’s registration is one thing, but the secrecy under which this incorporation has been shrouded is another. The only official word from the party on matters of communication is on its website, where it describes as a member benefit a “quarterly Member’s Newsletter from Pauline Hanson which will inform you about what’s been happening in the party”.

Other observers are more forthcoming about the lack of news on the legal morphing of the party.

Elise Cottam, a disendorsed candidate and former member of the Queensland state executive, says she received nothing as a member at or after the time the entity was incorporated.

“Absolutely not. There was no information, no emails, no phone calls. There was nothing to let us know that there was a change in the organisations,” Cottam says.

“It doesn’t surprise me. I registered to be a member back in March 2016 and it took them eight weeks to get me my membership card. There’s been no member communication of any kind flagging the change to the party. Its more than six months since the last newsletter and there have been no annual general meetings.”

Former One Nation national secretary Saraya Beric, who was also responsible for getting newsletters out to party members on a quarterly basis, confirmed that there has been no communication to members about the incorporation.

Beric resigned from the executive of the party on October 13, 2016, and said there was no communication received by her in her capacity as a member of One Nation about the incorporation of the party under state law.

“Following my resignation all I got was a generic Christmas card and two phone calls from One Nation requesting assistance,” Beric, also the subject of vilification and slander by party officials following her departure, said.

“I am still receiving calls from party members who have not received any formal communication – not all party members use Facebook.”

Failure to communicate the change in structure to members of the party also makes it difficult for the party to know its legal membership numbers. Clause 6 of the model rules provides for an automatic transfer of membership from the unincorporated association to the incorporated association, provided One Nation gets written consent from a member for this to take place.

No request for written consent for an automatic transfer from the old to the new had been received by members of One Nation who have spoken to The Saturday Paper.

A shroud of secrecy is yet to be lifted on the form of the party’s West Australian constitution that was lodged with the Western Australian Electoral Commission. While the party had become registered late last year in Western Australia, members of the organisation did not receive a copy of the rules to which they were entitled once that had joined the party.

Questions sent to One Nation by The Saturday Paper asking the party why neither members nor candidates were given the rules of the organisation when they joined remain unanswered. Former WA candidate Sandy Baraiolo is still feeling underwhelmed by the manner in which the party treated its membership and candidates during the state election.

She requested a copy of the constitution from the party to understand what responsibilities and rights she had as a member. No copy was forthcoming.

“I am yet to receive a response to an email sent to One Nation requesting further information about what has happened in relation to my membership, as I had joined earlier on in the year and don’t have my membership number,” Baraiolo says.

Baraiolo is a relative newcomer to One Nation’s culture of secrecy. In previous years it has resulted in attempts to initiate a police investigation to intimidate a sub-branch in the Northern Territory and attempts to close the bank account of One Nation WA Inc in 2012 following a falling out between the national committee and the WA entity’s office-bearers.

A letter from the national committee of One Nation to the bank requested the account be frozen. It sought to use One Nation’s trademark to have the funds transferred from WA to the national division.

“Moved and carried at a national teleconference on the 19th September 2012, that the abovementioned division is no longer constitutionally supported and therefore is closed,” the letter said. “Any signatory officers registered with you are to be struck off.”

The bank did not comply with the request as it was not satisfied the national division had the authority to make it.

The current turn of events does not surprise Monash University academic and long-time One Nation watcher Zareh Ghazarian. He says that the party follows a model of small right-of-centre political organisations where it is all about the leader with little membership input.

Ghazarian also notes that organisations like One Nation will have the leader involved in every element of decision-making often to the exclusion of the rank-and-file members.

“They don’t trust anyone,” says Ghazarian. “They don’t trust the members.”

Bogan King fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 28, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Please please please

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It's Queensland mate, nothing good happens there.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/857915879224352768

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

What and expect our esteemed leaders to actually be in Canberra and/or working remotely the same days as the rest of the nation while they're already fully occupied with having their snouts in the trough?

Far too busy for that.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
here we go again

The Arsetralian posted:

Students will be hit with higher fees and cuts to university funding will be scrapped in a contentious revamp of the Abbott government’s higher education package, to be included in the budget.

The broad outline of the new funding formula, which could see student fees rising by a minimum of 25 per cent, is to be unveiled to vice-chancellors who have been summoned to Canberra on Monday for a briefing.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham is expected to defend the ­proposed changes in an address to the National Press Club next Thursday, following an announcement early next week.

The new plan will increase the share of university costs to be borne by students from the current 40 per cent, while requiring students to start repaying their higher education loans earlier by lowering the salary threshold for repayments to commence. Students will also be charged a loan fee at the start of their studies.

Although universities will be spared the 20 per cent cut in their funding imposed in the Abbott government’s first budget, they are expected to be hit with an annual efficiency dividend.

The government will justify the changes by highlighting that tertiary education delivers graduates a significant private benefit in the form of higher incomes.

The Grattan Institute’s Andrew Norton, who was on a ministerial working party advising Senator Birmingham on implementation of his reforms, said: “Students haven’t really taken any cuts in recent years. Most students have not contributed anything to budget repair.”

However, rising unemployment rates among university graduates guarantee that the plan to make students bear more of the funding burden for their education will meet stiff political resistance. New figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show 4.1 per cent of recent university graduates were unemployed early this year, compared with 1.9 per cent a year ago.

Ian Li, a workforce and labour economist from the University of Western Australia, said: “The graduate degree premium has been eroding for some time. Private returns to higher education are still positive but they are no longer what they once were.”

Senator Birmingham has been working on a package of reforms for a full year, with the aim of reining in costs while maintaining an uncapped enrolment system that has seen the number of domestic students balloon from 800,000 in 2009 to 1.1 million last year.

In the Abbott government’s first budget in 2014, the then education minister Christopher Pyne sought to implement a radical package that cut government funding of universities by 20 per cent while deregulating student fees, allowing universities to recoup their costs from students.

This package never gained sufficient support in the Senate to be implemented, despite several modifications to limit the impact on students. Labor gained political traction with its claim that it would result in $100,000 degrees.

The university sector has endured three years without any clear guidelines about its funding future. Over that period, rapid growth in university funding that followed the Labor government’s removal of caps on the number of student places, has eased.

An ABS report on Thursday showed that while the federal government’s spending on universities leapt by 26 per cent ­between 2008-09 and 2010-11, growth in 2015-16 was only 2.3 per cent, which was no more than the overall rate of inflation.

National Tertiary Education Union analysis shows lifting students’ share of university funding costs from 40 to 50 per cent would require an increase in university fees of at least 25 per cent. However, the government will also change the formulas by which it calculates per-student funding for different disciplines. Current formulas have long been considered irrational and bear little relationship to the actual costs of teaching.

On top of higher fees and a newly engineered discipline funding system, the government will also lower the salary threshold before student loans have to start being repaid which will sweep many more students into the net.

Modelling by The Weekend Australian shows that 90,000 students would be required to start repaying their debts if the threshold fell from the current level of $54,869 to $50,000; 180,000 more students would repay if it fell to $42,000. Total student debt held by the government reached $47.9bn in mid-2016.

There are already concerns that collateral damage of fee increases and loan reform will be felt by the lowly paid and women, particularly those coming from disadvantaged backgrounds — the very people the uncapped enrolment system is supposed to be helping.

“Disadvantaged students have the most to lose if fees increase,” Dr Li said.

“Our research shows that the primary reason disadvantaged students consider dropping out of university is financial. Fee increases could exacerbate that further.”

There is also widespread sector concern the government will once again make cuts to its flagship ­equity program, the Higher Education Participation and Partnerships program, which has been hit by successive funding cuts in recent years. Others, however, suggest a small increase to HEPP funding might be a sop to the sector over equity concerns.

In a discussion paper released last May, Senator Birmingham explained the need for reform: “Funding of university students has grown at twice the rate of the economy. Similarly, the debt held under our income contingent student loans scheme, one of the most generous in the world, has grown to over $40 billion, with an annual expense of $2.6bn.”

Gavin Moodie, an adjunct professor of higher education with RMIT, said the Higher Education Loans Program was well designed to cope with higher fees, because it did not require students to repay until they had reached a reasonable return on their higher education investment.

“The political issue is not whether fees should rise when demand for graduates is low, but rather a question about the size and shape of higher education in Australia,” he said. “While the value of education is high on average, there will be some fields of student that will suffer more than others and there will ­inevitably be the challenge of having a buyers’ market for graduate labour.”

Dr Moodie said the responsibility should rest with institutions, not government, to ensure graduates were “match ready”.

Group of Eight chief executive Vicki Thomson said universities would be “wedged” on student fee increases. “Students should not have to bear the brunt of budget cuts,” she said.

quote:

The Grattan Institute’s Andrew Norton, who was on a ministerial working party advising Senator Birmingham on implementation of his reforms, said: “Students haven’t really taken any cuts in recent years. Most students have not contributed anything to budget repair.”

Not like rich property owners Mr Speaker

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

There are already concerns that collateral damage of fee increases and loan reform will be felt by the lowly paid and women, particularly those coming from disadvantaged backgrounds — the very people the uncapped enrolment system is supposed to be helping.

“Disadvantaged students have the most to lose if fees increase,” Dr Li said.

“Our research shows that the primary reason disadvantaged students consider dropping out of university is financial. Fee increases could exacerbate that further.”

Yeah somehow I'm pretty sure that the Adults In Charge don't think of this as a negative. Quite the opposite.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Cutting education to fund negative gearing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Cutting education to fund negative gearing. corporate tax cuts

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Seems fair, after all it was students who damaged the budget in the first place.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So the budget is going to be loving terrible and Newspoll will tank. Gotcha.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is called managing expectations guys...

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

quote:

I love (do not love) this idea that 'students' are like a class of people; like being a student is not, in fact, an activity, a period of one's life that Australians from all cultural, economic, and professional classes have gone through. And that the whole point of it isn't that you're supposed to spend your whole time studying so that you can earn money in the future which is why no-one expects students to have money to "contribute to budget repair," whatever the gently caress that means. And that being a student isn't supposed to happen BEFORE your career so of course you don't have any money yet to "invest" in an education. And and and etc. etc.

I mean these people understand all this, they're just liars and scumbags and don't care so what's the point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I love (do not love) this idea that 'students' are like a class of people; like being a student is not, in fact, an activity, a period of one's life that Australians from all cultural, economic, and professional classes have gone through. And that the whole point of it isn't that you're supposed to spend your whole time studying so that you can earn money in the future which is why no-one expects students to have money to "contribute to budget repair," whatever the gently caress that means. And that being a student isn't supposed to happen BEFORE your career so of course you don't have any money yet to "invest" in an education. And and and etc. etc.

I mean these people understand all this, they're just liars and scumbags and don't care so what's the point.

If you aren't learning then you're earning.

*looks at small child too young for school, clearly mooching off it's primary provider (parent)*

Hmm hey kid. You look like you're ready to work a metal press. You like buttons right? It's got lots of buttons.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

DancingShade posted:

If you aren't learning then you're earning.

*looks at small child too young for school, clearly mooching off it's primary provider (parent)*

Hmm hey kid. You look like you're ready to work a metal press. You like buttons right? It's got lots of buttons.

Seize all baby toys and sell them to help fund budget repair. It's only fair, they haven't done anything to help with the budget crisis so far.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

The government will justify the changes by highlighting that tertiary education delivers graduates a significant private benefit in the form of higher incomes.
Tax the rich you say?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Imagine if state governments came out complaining about high school students being a drain on the budget, "These people don't contribute to our budget, its about time they pulled their weight in society.".

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CrazyTolradi posted:

Imagine if state governments came out complaining about high school students being a drain on the budget, "These people don't contribute to our budget, its about time they pulled their weight in society.".
Don't get me started on the sick and infirm.. loving leeches.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Did I miss something, I thought she posted from her personal twitter account. Did she actually tweet from ABCNEWS or something?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Konomex posted:

Did I miss something, I thought she posted from her personal twitter account. Did she actually tweet from ABCNEWS or something?

Please don't underestimate how disingenuous the free speech crowd will be when brown people say something that they can cry about.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And yet, I'd say posting "Lest. We. Forget. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine…)" is in no way controversial or disrespectful unless you're a bigot looking to poo poo on a left leaning woman of colour in public life.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Work for the VCE.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Brown Poppy Syndrome - Ketan Joshi

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, thinking about that still makes me loving angry.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Konomex posted:

Just to be crystal-clear, she in no way made her seven word comment 'on the public dime' unless you're a total dog-fucker (whose argument is probably something like, 'saying stuff while working for the ABC detracts from the ABC'). Never mind the fact that what she said was completely innocuous unless you're a dog-fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Australia is a proud multicultural country where we have people from many difference races, religions and creeds who come together to make good takeaway food for white people who deserve to be in charge.

• Locked thread