Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a very good article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/858222448302358528

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

QUACKTASTIC posted:

This is a very good article

A little too good. Allow me to balance the books with some utter poo poo from the Arse:

quote:

Housing affordability crisis a moan by privileged millennials

Deary me, houses are expensive, are they? Oh snowflakes, cry me a river.

Recently, a friend of mine was talking on the phone to his millennial daughter. She was enrolling in her second degree and asking her employer to cut her part-time hours down to almost nothing. This way, Centrelink would help pay the rent on her cute Melbourne apartment in a trendy inner-city suburb.

It was difficult to get the balance right; her earnings had to be precisely reduced to receive the most welfare possible. The calculations were a little hard, and woe upon woe, her maths weren’t the best. Could her dad help do the sums? He feigned an urgent matter to attend to and put the phone down, disgusted.

“I’m so embarrassed,” he groaned to me down the phone afterwards. “I didn’t work my guts out to spend $400,000 in after-tax money on one of the best private schools to end up with a daughter who is a bludger and a Centrelink scammer. She has been given the best of everything; why doesn’t she just grow up, get a proper job, buy a little house in the outer suburbs like we did and get on with life?”

I took his call while covered in red mud and autumn leaves. Between my huffing and panting, I attempted sympathetic noises. It had been a heavy few hours in the garden.

For your information, autumn is the best time to relocate plants and Paulie the gardener helps me out. We had been scouring the beds, shovels in hand, digging up and replanting oak-leaf hydrangeas. As we worked, we had been scoffing at the latest trendy whinge of the moment: the so-called housing affordability crisis.

Paulie has two daughters, both in their early 20s. Recently he helped both of them with $30,000 each, on the proviso they spent it on a house. “Don’t expect anything in the will,” he said, “this is all I have and there is nothing more to give.”

Both of these girls are now homeowners, with mortgages, on properties in Dandenong, an outer suburb of Melbourne. Paulie could afford to help them because neither of the girls went to private schools or university. Both work full time in low to medium-income jobs and both are in relationships with young tradies. Both tradies have their own houses as well as investment properties. By the time all of these kids hit 30, they will be millionaires. Paulie and I both think this is great.

On the other hand, my friend’s daughter at age 30 probably will be still working part time and chewing her nails over whether to do a PhD. She still won’t own a house, let alone have a deposit. Her father can’t afford to help; he blew his dough on her stellar education, thinking this would lead to a solid work ethic, a good job and a great income. What a fool. In hindsight, he sees this as a hideous mistake. The $400k could have been used to buy a house.

A Chinese proverb says, “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” It is almost never too late to start on the housing ladder and it is possible for almost anyone to buy a property, right now.

Want to live in the inner city of Melbourne? There is a studio apartment opposite Flinders Street Station on the market for $169,000. Want a house? Try leafy upper Ferntree Gully, 32km east of the city, on a train line, where modest houses on big blocks can be purchased for under $600,000.

Perhaps you are in Sydney and truly, literally, cannot afford to buy a single thing, not even a one-bedroom dogbox out in Woop Woop. So sad, but too bad. Don’t ask the government to help and don’t agitate for measures that will punish everyone who doesn’t live in Sydney or who does but isn’t as unfortunate as you.

This affordability crisis is the construct of activist groups who have created a social campaign to assist federal Labor. This campaign is being given oxygen by a Sydney-centric media. Now we have commentators calling for national tax arrangements on investments, in place for a century, to be changed — all because precious types are bleating about the price of luxury housing in premium suburbs.

A “crackdown on negative gearing” will make it only harder for ordinary people to create their own wealth.

Another friend of mine is a property investor. Not that long ago, Marlene became pregnant while not in a relationship and kept the baby by moving back in with her mother.

She saved a deposit and purchased her first property, in a semirural location, to rent out while her only source of income was the single mother’s pension. When people talk of greedy investors and negative-gearing rorters, I think of Marlene. Marlene bought her house via sheer grit and determination; also, she left her pride at the door, where it belongs.

Dear little snowflakes, KPMG recently revealed that the poorest 20 per cent of households have enjoyed growth in “investment income” of 8.5 per cent a year across the past decade. Since 2006, the number of low-income households with a second mortgage has doubled.

So, if houses are so unaffordable there is an affordability crisis, why is it that the working poor and people on welfare can afford to buy them? Here’s a tip: if you want advice on how to afford a house, look to the class of people who serve you daily as you go about your privileged existence.

Next time you summon a car to take you home from your favourite new restaurant, ask the person driving. Ask the person painting your nails, the bank teller who serves you, the person who cuts your hair or the person who mows your parent’s lawn. Many of these people will own a house and some will own several.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hmmm yess unsubstantiated anecdotes are very authoritative

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Starshark posted:

A little too good. Allow me to balance the books with some utter poo poo from the Arse:

None of the things that the author claims happened in this piece; phone calls from daughters, conversations with friends about more daughters, etc, ever happened.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody wrote a lie about a daughter of a friend purposefully working as few hours as possible so they could scam centerlink because it was the best rebuttal to Australia's housing affordability crisis they could think of.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody wrote a lie about a daughter of a friend purposefully working as few hours as possible so they could scam centerlink because it was the best rebuttal to Australia's housing affordability crisis they could think of.

and was paid a lot of money to do so.

by a paper that is pretty much propped up by real estate advertising.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Starshark posted:

Paulie has two daughters, both in their early 20s. Recently he helped both of them with $30,000 each, on the proviso they spent it on a house. “Don’t expect anything in the will,” he said, “this is all I have and there is nothing more to give.”

Both of these girls are now homeowners, with mortgages, on properties in Dandenong, an outer suburb of Melbourne. Paulie could afford to help them because neither of the girls went to private schools or university. Both work full time in low to medium-income jobs and both are in relationships with young tradies. Both tradies have their own houses as well as investment properties. By the time all of these kids hit 30, they will be millionaires. Paulie and I both think this is great.

On the other hand, my friend’s daughter at age 30 probably will be still working part time and chewing her nails over whether to do a PhD. She still won’t own a house, let alone have a deposit. Her father can’t afford to help; he blew his dough on her stellar education, thinking this would lead to a solid work ethic, a good job and a great income. What a fool. In hindsight, he sees this as a hideous mistake. The $400k could have been used to buy a house.

The message I'm getting from this is to rely on handouts from your parents and to marry someone who already owns multiple houses, rather than working hard to build a career on my own.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So your telling me that a friend who is switched on enough to complain about dole bludgers isn't switched on enough to realise wages have stagnated and ad housing prices have ballooned?

Also there is no shame in noticing your daughter is stuck in a dead end job mate.

Let her study and climb this so called ladder or be a piece of poo poo parent and ignore her cries for help.

What a stupid friend.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's almost as if private schooling doesn't mean jack poo poo and is a sandstone scam.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

quote:

Paulie the gardener helps me out.

really objective

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NPR Journalizard posted:

and was paid a lot of money to do so.

by a paper that is pretty much propped up by real estate advertising.

The paper that has never been profitable in its entire 50 year history.

Like Sky News, The Australian is welfare for Australia's worst political and media personalities

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Also, the outer suburbs today are exactly the same, and in no way worse, than the outer suburbs 30+ years ago.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Essendon was an outer suburbs when these dipshits were buying their first house

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
BTW someone on twitter put up the pick of the $169 000 place across from Flinders St Station. It didn't have an oven.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

racing identity posted:

Essendon was an outer suburbs when these dipshits were buying their first house

Don't forget all those struggling boomers that had to move all the way out to Bentleigh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Worry not friends. We'll get the last laugh when the boomers discover what awaits them in the nursing homes and are dismayed when their cast adrift children packed 4-6 into a short term rental share house never visit or take care of them.

(never mind that our generations will never ever retire because the boomers sucked the system dry and we'll die in our boots)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

This was a good but depressing read

Starshark posted:

That is just depressing :(

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/MikeCarlton01/status/858201081146298368

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

and then praises a friend who scammed centrelink into paying for a home deposit.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starshark posted:

Post this in the STDH thread, it's perfect

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
So what was this about a bunch of self appointed QLDers dictating next months OP?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Why would anyone want to appoint themselves as a Queenslander?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Federal Liberal Senator and Resources Minister Matt Canavan posted:

a few people angrily turned up to dinner that Westpac held and apparently they changed the world

#imagen being so loving bad at your job that you hand a soundbyte like that to the Stop Adani campaign

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Starshark posted:

There is no bubble and it's never too late to jump on the property ladder, except for Australia's largest and most populated city for some reason. Good thing the crazy inflated property prices in Sydney are just a freak occurrence that aren't happening anywhere else!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm really sad that my cousin and his wife, both really nice music teachers (as in private lessons at schools, so pretty low income), are going to get absolutely hosed when the bubble bursts because they borrowed heavily to get investment properties, because his parents are hosed in the head, and have been chasing get-rich-quick schemes since the 70s.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Ooh ooh, did someone mention unsupportable-anecdotes??? So $444 a fortnight for Austudy. Seems like a lot, right? Now, remember rent prices. Sharing with people, we can manage a $550 a month in rent, another $80 for utilities, $96 for transport, maybe, good thing the bus myki's sometimes gently caress up and we get a free trip. So, $5 a day left over? If I'm lucky? That's for food too.

Won't inspire me to get a job any harder if they cut it further, obviously I'm studying, and collecting cash on the side for odd-jobs. Jobs AND food! Sometimes people feed me! Getting a good meal is so luxurious! Lentils and chickpeas get so boring sometimes.

Nah, I already want a job. I'm not a vegetarian. To be able to afford meat! Just once a week! Oh I can just think of it! I miss having meat.

And what am I going to do if they cut us further? Shower every second day to save a few dollars on gas? Do they even WANT us to get jobs?!?!

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Australians, let us all rejoice
For we are young and free
With golden ore and coal for sale
Our home is rife with greed
This land we stole through genocide
Of cultures, rich and rare
In history, we’ve removed that page
To advance Australia fair

With many a tattooed southern cross
We’ll toil with fists and cans
To make this sterile land of ours
Devoid of foreign hands
For those who’ve come across the sea
We’ve boundless pains to share
No misty eyes here, we all sing
Advance Australia Fair
Heads buried deep in Turkish sand
Advance Australia Fair

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Aesculus posted:

Devoid of foreign hands
Advance Australia Fair
Advance Australia Fair

Pft. I prefer the REAL Australian anthem. The one about the homeless dude who steals a sheep and then commits suicide rather than getting arrested, and then becomes a ghost. It's far more topical.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Aesculus posted:

Devoid of foreign hands
Advance Australia Fair
Advance Australia Fair

:yarg:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
fresh :yarg:in our memories

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/pleasedontatme/status/858310151102636032

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IronClaymore posted:

Ooh ooh, did someone mention unsupportable-anecdotes??? So $444 a fortnight for Austudy. Seems like a lot, right? Now, remember rent prices. Sharing with people, we can manage a $550 a month in rent, another $80 for utilities, $96 for transport, maybe, good thing the bus myki's sometimes gently caress up and we get a free trip. So, $5 a day left over? If I'm lucky? That's for food too.

Won't inspire me to get a job any harder if they cut it further, obviously I'm studying, and collecting cash on the side for odd-jobs. Jobs AND food! Sometimes people feed me! Getting a good meal is so luxurious! Lentils and chickpeas get so boring sometimes.

Nah, I already want a job. I'm not a vegetarian. To be able to afford meat! Just once a week! Oh I can just think of it! I miss having meat.

And what am I going to do if they cut us further? Shower every second day to save a few dollars on gas? Do they even WANT us to get jobs?!?!

No.

They want people desperate and starving in the streets so they can lower the wages of the remaining workers by saying "accept this pittance or die in the gutters" while pocketing the difference.

Of course the flipside is they haven't considered what happens once people reach a certain level of desperation. I'm not talking French Revolution bullshit. But make people desperate enough for survival and you have South Africa levels of crime and nowhere is safe because people will carjack/murder you in your sleep for any amount of money to live off.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/858462703517540352

starkebn
May 18, 2004

This might be the last article I read about the reaction to Yasmin's "Lest we forget" Facebook post, just two sides saying the same things over and over now. But I thought this one has something brilliant in it.

quote:

A friend of mine referred to it as 'patriotic correctness'

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/...428-gvueno.html

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

qld.gif

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm a hate preacher
Yay hate

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Piers Akerman: What genius gave this idiot a soapbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Boo nice things

• Locked thread