Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

You realise the market valuation of those companies also accounts for future earning from mining, so you're going to need a loan for more than the GDP of the country and then embark on an adversarial acquisition of those businesses. You also ask the government to take on the risk of an entire sector of the economy that has been unreliable more than once in history.

They would care because the expectation of posters itt is that we retain ore and coking coal to manufacture steel locally and also that we are attempting to acquire businesses that are part or wholly owned internationally either directly or through parent companies.

So yeah. How many people do we have to kill to make this happen?

So dont buy them out. Just massively increase the taxes and royalties on that sector, cancel the leases they have on mining rights, get rid of all the subsidies and you will be 90% of the way to making sure that it is unprofitable for the companies to operate. They stop trading. The mineral wealth reverts back to public hands.

Simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

A Labor government couldn't garner the political willpower or general support to moderately increase the taxation on mining.

Yes, but when they finally split along faction lines, and the left hooks up with the greens and they form government and start passing good legislation, its entirely possible.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

As far as a publicly traded company goes that this is forcibly taking ownership from them and they will resist. Once the government has control of the company investors will abandon ship and buy BHP Billiton Jr. The government will find it impossible to raise capital because you have the industrial equivalent of a five year old now helming that company.

The government wont need to raise capital in the traditional way of the stock market. They can issue bonds and write low interest loans to the company quite easily. Plus, I think you are overestimating the brain drain that would happen.

And again, they can just gently caress around with the leases to make sure the companies cant mine. Yes it will be difficult, but its not impossible.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

Didn't someone assassinate a senator the other year?

A white supremacist brexit supporter killed a British MP.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

norp posted:

But they never made it to our migration zone so it doesn't trigger our responsibilities

Our migration zone is currently the 50m area around Uluru, yeah?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Well poo poo.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MonoAus posted:

Is the concept of wind farm really that new and scary to concern people so much??

We should just make them move next to a coal power station.

I like it when farmers complain about wind farms on tv and you can see their windmill in the background thats been going for 50 years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

In WA and Europe where anti windfarm groups are nowhere near as prevalent they don't seem to suffer the same 'wind farm syndrome' as the people where these groups are active.

Its tough to cry about the health effects of windfarms when albany exists.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ask people in bush fire prone areas if they support cutting funding to the emergency broadcaster and you get quite the response.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

They would probably provide something more nuanced than all or nothing destruction of the ABC. They might say keep the emergency system and can funding for lefty tv.

Lol at the LNP providing a nuanced solution

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Was thinking this but after a short pub crawl was too tired to say it.

They want him to stay in business? A guy who defrauded and stole a million bucks from his customers? gently caress me.

I would be surprised if any one shopped there after the news broke. Small towns can be vicious if you get on the wrong side of literally everyone

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeast posted:

After sitting on a deposit and waiting for the burst 'it'll happen any day now!'

We've decided to buy.

No one really knows what's going to happen, the best you can do be smart with the money you do have, have a backup plan, and don't over leverage yourself.

Yeast posted:

I don't see it bursting and the housing market crashing. I can absolutely see it deflating like an old balloon just farting away for 2 years.

gay picnic defence posted:

it's probably a case of cognitive dissonance in action. No one with investment properties wants to believe their multi-million dollar portfolio is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it and that the instant people decide not to pay that much their hard earned net worth will vanish without a trace

The ones who are capable of thinking rationally about it are probably quietly moving their properties on to some other buyer, presumably while claiming how the prices can only ever go up up UP

just lol

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ten Becquerels posted:

I linked this to a friend and they started talking to me about how Clontarf schools are indigenous-only and they work, and I'm still trying to explain how fundamentally different a program run in the areas where a lot of Indigenous kids live and run with Indigenous and community involvement is to a private school wanting to shove some kids into a separate campus so they can game a system intended to help the former groups. I don't care if there are circumstances where the funding model is good, this particular proposal just sounds like a cash grab of the worst kind. We already pour enough money into private schools, isn't the whole point of a private school that it's NOT government funded?

No, the point of a private school is to keep the proles separated from their betters.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Literally bullshit clickbait.

Stop being anidav. Pobjie pretty much only writes comedy articles.

The fact you think its plausible its pretty depressing, but it doesnt change the fact he has been doing this sort of stuff for years now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And anyway, the libs know they cant openly gently caress with medicare.

The gently caress with it in ways people wont really notice, and then, when its really good and proper hosed and no longer working as a universal health care scheme, they will point at it and say "this is no longer working" and sell it off to their mates.

You know, like they are doing with australia post.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Also gently caress Ben.

mate

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Twiggy is poo poo, has been poo poo for a long time and will continue to be poo poo, but gets listened to because he has buckets of money,

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bogan King posted:

Thankfully when we repeal 18c people will be speech will truly be free and this Hero will be rewarded for speaking truth to power.

Wait its offensive to say "stop the war" now?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, she is a vapid idiot who seriously claimed a religion was both democratic and feminist, so it's really hard to feel sorry for her

Oh please, tell me more.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I for one would be thrilled if you could point out any world religion that does not oppress women, and is not a dictatorial regime with a total absence of suffrage.

One of the points she made was that there is a distinction to be made between religion and culture, and I feel you didn't quite grasp that.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

A distinction that doesn't actually exist outside of academia.

I believe you are wrong, but cbfed arguing with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody wrote a lie about a daughter of a friend purposefully working as few hours as possible so they could scam centerlink because it was the best rebuttal to Australia's housing affordability crisis they could think of.

and was paid a lot of money to do so.

by a paper that is pretty much propped up by real estate advertising.

• Locked thread