Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think someone crunched the numbers in The Conversation awhile back. Servicing an 18% loan at the time was not just cheaper than today, but far cheaper.

Or just ask Hadley why they didnt require 40+ year mortgages back then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Urcher posted:

http://theconversation.com/houses-arent-more-unaffordable-for-first-home-buyers-but-they-are-riskier-75130

The median house is more affordable now, but substantially riskier as a tiny rise in interest rates would lead to a significant rise in mortgage repayments.

That wasn't the one I saw, but maybe the other one just looked at raw dollars and not differences in earnings.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ewe2 posted:

I suspect Jesus wouldn't be happy about it.

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/849453518473883649

Why are conservatives so drat bad at humour?

Most comedy is defying the status quo. Conservatism seeks to maintain it. There's also the whole punching up/punching down analogy.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Isn't the median wage today something like $38k

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, I think the average is like $55k but then the median is much lower.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

If you keep negative gearing it's not really a bubble in the traditional sense, invester money will always be pouring in.

The only way it realistically bursts anytime soon is if negative gearing is removed across the board, which is not going to happen. At best they'll grandfather it meaning prices hold as investors stop buying however hold onto their remaining stock.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Any major drop would be preceded by economic conditions that would dwarf the drop in housing anyway.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The difference with standard bubbles and our property market is that it isn't the inflated market itself people are trying to cash in on, it's the tax implications that are driving them to do it.

Ours started out with the public cashing in, it was anyone with equity and tax to minimise that benefited from negative gearing.

For the market to crash you need, for whatever reason, more people desperate to sell than there are buyers. At best negative gearing will be grandfathered meaning there's no reason to sell, investers will leave the market and all the desperate homebuyers will keep buying at whatever prices are.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's convention that if you mislead parliament you would resign. Like many conventions though it's pretty much ignored these days. Eg: George Brandis.

Parliamentary privliage is legal immunity for things said or done in the various Houses.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Why do we need a holiday when our media provides such robust political discourse year round?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

:qq: but I'm white :qq:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

CrazyTolradi posted:

I get the strong feeling a producer or exec at Channel 7 loves Pauline Hanson, she's had constant airtime on Sunrise and got a place on that dancing reality TV show. There'd have to be someone high up pushing for that kind of support.

It was arguably her regular spot on sunrise that gave rise to the current iteration of One Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

DancingShade posted:

No.

They want people desperate and starving in the streets so they can lower the wages of the remaining workers by saying "accept this pittance or die in the gutters" while pocketing the difference.

Of course the flipside is they haven't considered what happens once people reach a certain level of desperation. I'm not talking French Revolution bullshit. But make people desperate enough for survival and you have South Africa levels of crime and nowhere is safe because people will carjack/murder you in your sleep for any amount of money to live off.

The US shows people will quite happily vote against their own self-interests for the benefit of those better off than themselves.

• Locked thread