Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

Have the WA Greens got a position on incentivising on-shore iron-ore refinement and steelmaking?

I seem to recall NSW and SA Greens having positions. Sensible, especially since domestic steelmaking would be considerably less polluting (although likely very expensive).

I'm v keen for Greens to advocate for full nationalisation (or at least public competition) of essential and priority industry sectors. It's time, comrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah. Mineral resource exploitation is inherently not sustainable. But it can be done responsibly and in an ecologically-sound manner. We're still eventually gonna run out of minerals to cheaply exploit (which is why we should get about an Australian Space Agency that prioritises SPAAAAACE INDUSSSTRRRYYYYY)

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Australian politics live podcast has a new ep on housing with Grog and Shane Wright (economics editor for the West Australian). Their prediction for the Budget is a move on reducing the range of the capital gains tax rather than scare the horses on negative gearing.

God I love Greg Jericho.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Just outta curiosity given the people in here (and it's been ages since a AusPol thread poll), I wonder what the voter breakdown on here is now and how it compares to the last lot of polls. I wouldn't mind knowing how many Goons are OBs, staffers and elected officials.

Starshark posted:

Iran's complicated. People from the country hate queer people and will hang them (my understanding is those hanging-from-cranes pictures you see are from the more rural areas), but many in the city are quite liberal. There was one student at work who needed a hand with the photocopier who had dyed, wild hair and clothes that were less than modest who I thought at first was an Australian or an Australian resident. Her passport was Iranian and in the passport she had the hijab on. These Iranians see their government as backwards and a deep embarrassment, like we see Tony Abbott or Donald Trump. There's a thriving gay underground culture in Iran, so I guess what I'd say to my former friend in that instance is, it depends on who you come out to.

Yeah. I've heard from a few mates who've travelled in those parts that Tehran's a bit of a thriving cultural hotspot and is pretty loving cool as far as cities go. The Iranian Government seems to have a bit of a don't ask don't tell policy for Tehran. As long as they keep their poo poo to themselves and don't let the regions know what's going on, they won't crack down.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 12, 2017

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

I'm pretty sure ABC is popular amongst her voters. This is a classic example of party members/activists being completely out of touch with the people who vote for them. If they actually pull this off, their regional QLD vote is gonna tank hard.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This is just another step in Hanson copying Trump's playbook. They're blocking any access to ABC reporters (like Trump blocked some news orgs from conferences) and now they're going to slash their funding.

What I don't get is how the Libs, One Nation, et al target ABC and SBS when any polling would surely show they're popular in the electorate. I suppose they don't do any polling on it and just go with their ideology.

I mean, taking away enough money to cause a drop in quality of service and content is a good way of killing off support for a publicly owned entity. I mean, that's what they did with the energy retailers and with Telecom...

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

They would probably provide something more nuanced than all or nothing destruction of the ABC. They might say keep the emergency system and can funding for lefty tv.

There was an Essential poll from 2014 a while ago that took into account "other parties" and age breakdowns. Take "Other" with a grain of salt, since that included PUP at the time, but there's been a decent churn from PUP to PHON. Given PHON voters tend to be Other or Labor (this time around - at least in Queensland) and 50+, it'll give you an indication of who might approve or disapprove. I'll concede that men tend to support cuts more than women, but not by a considerable margin.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Wouldn't make it a long weekend, that will just result in less people voting. Also seems hard to organize without fixed elections.

Most States at least have fixed elections now, so it's not unfeasible. Best day, IMHO would be the Wednesday before the election. Gives people a couple of days to talk to coworkers before the Saturday election.

Of course, what'll end up happening is just everyone takes the day off to get pissed or watch TV and not actually do anything. I mean, what proportion of people go to Dawn Service on ANZAC Day or go to a rally on Labour Day?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

ewe2 posted:

It's true but only half the time. People like QM for example get into council because their ambition is to connect with and serve the community in some capacity even if it isn't the wonderful levels of state and federal government, and we shouldn't dump on councils given how they actually do the things often promised and never delivered by higher tiers. Yes, there are useless infighting people, some councils are not so lucky. Maybe do something about your local guys?

Alternatively be good like the ACT and just merge State and Local Governments (or be like Brisbane and actually pay your Councillors a decent salary to stop them getting kickbacks from developers).

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

I mean, that doesn't actually stop them getting kickbacks, but at least it allows people like Jo Sri to actually Get Stuff Done

I've been wanting to get a :sax: with Jono blowing his sax but I'm both lazy and untalented.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

plz don't post pictures of me in here. tia.

Also, I love "the ANZAC WEEK" poster. I'm looking forward to Anzac Week and Anzac Month.

In this, the Year of the ANZAC™

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

"I often wonder when the working men of England will wake up and see things as other people see them. What they want in England is a good revolution and that will clear some of these Millionaires and lords and Dukes out of it and then with a Labour Government they will almost be able to make their own conditions."

SO WEIRD THAT WE NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS IN PRIMARY SCHOOL

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

okay so someone told us that "greens" is an acronym but we can't work it out because the greens don't stand for anything

This is too witty for Labor Right to come up with.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

Well the problem is the two major parties are either "gently caress the Poor" or "Diet gently caress the Poor".

I am pretty sure the Queensland ALP are going to get hosed this year and they loving deserve it. I'd hope that this would lead to a stronger Greens vote but probably not seeing as the ALP will probably be bent on attacking the Greens

I dunno. I don't feel the vibe in the state that accompanies a fall of government. Running Greens numbers on our target seats, and Labor numbers elsewhere, I honestly think there's a good chance of a down-the-line minority Labor Government. 1/2 Greens, 2/3 ONP, 1 KAP, 1 Independent, and 43 LNP and 44 ALP. It'll be tight as get out, but new Compulsory Preferential will help Greens (roughly 80/20 to and from ALP) more than it'll help ONP (which tends to split more 50/50 between LNP and ALP).

Both Cook and Cairns will go back to the ALP, and Nicklin is a coinflip if it'll go ONP or Indi (depending who Wellington endorses).

I'm still confident we'll have an ALP minority with a Left caucus still, and hopefully we can convince Robbie Katter to be less right wing after Knuth is out.

I admit my experience is mostly in the inner city and in Logan but there doesn't seem to be a tide turning against Labor. People seem to be at least okay with Palaszczuk. Most complaints seem to be "do nothing government" or "too much politics, too many inquiries" but noone follows up with wanting LNP back in. People still remember Newman.

Anidav posted:

They do deserve it but no one deserves Tim Nicholls. QLD ALP are probably going to call the election as late as possible. One Nation is likely to implode if not already doing so which destroys the LNP chances massively.

I'm not convinced. I think Labor would be better set getting out a "feel good" budget with a healthy dose of porkbarrelling and launch into a snap campaign. LNP is still a shambles and ONP is dropping candidates like flies. Most sitting Labor members have had big ticket launches to pull donors into a fighting fund, and they've confirmed candidates in pretty much every other seat (the candidate in Maiwar's first name is Ali-Breeze which is the most Paddington name).

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

The ALP hosed itself with the Adani mine poo poo. Their lack of strong opinion regarding things like abortion rights is probably not going the help them with the younger demographic

e: I posted this before seeing your reply. You make some good points but we aren't even in the election pump yet

I think Labor Left seems to be warming (or at least accepting the inevitability) of working with Greens in State Parliament. Talk of using Greens to get more radical policies past the Right.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Starshark posted:

Do we have evidence that PHON voters pay attention to the news other than the sports pages?

PHON encourages a conspiracy theorist's attitude toward media and dissent. Anything that agrees with them is them winning, anything that disagrees is a plot to hide the Truth and Righteousness of their Cause.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Apparently Young LNP in Queensland just passed a motion to lobby the state party to reintroduce the crime of sedition after the "ANZAC Day controversy". StuPol: Never Not a Trashfire.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

Can I have a more authoritative source or something because this is loving amazing

My source is sending some documents through to Buzzfeed OzPol so something might run with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Aren't we all, on some level, Andy Semple?

• Locked thread