Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

DancingShade posted:

I'm the right wing upper-middle class person fed by a silver spoon claiming to be a punk unironically while treasuring my material wealth and status.

I don't think she knows what 'punk' means, but has decided that she is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

open24hours posted:

The Greens seem kind of maxed out, they've been treading water for the past few federal elections and their polling is pretty stable. I don't know what they can do if they want to become a mainstream party, but they'd better get on it.

My admittedly-hopeful estimation there is that progress made by the Greens on the ground in some areas leads to some lower house federal seats flipping, probably in the Melbourne area. Suddenly with two or three members in the HoR instead of one, swinging voters that might lean Green policy-wise but don't think of them as an actual choice start being more willing to support them because they seem more legitimate.

So it's not necessarily about getting that 10% support to grow at first, but more about getting that 10% to translate into results.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 3, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

I mean... good job Abetz for figuring out bisexuals exist, that's a tough one for a lot of people.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Anidav posted:

I dunno man

Damnit, can somebody just make a 'label shirts from political cartoons' store already? TESTOSTERONE would be an awesome ironic shirt.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

MiniSune posted:

I never understood that reason. Wait a few hours until it becomes clear then let rip.

The counting system is designed to allow a fast initial result, not necessarily an accurate one. By the end of the night the notion is that you'll have an answer of who won the whole election and by roughly how many seats, while specifics can shake out over time. Part of this entails sticking to an initial 2PP unless it becomes grossly clear that there's an upset (like what happened in that one SA seat that NXT won).

It's a system that struggles on a seat-by-seat basis when things don't shake out quite as easily, but they actually have a couple weeks to count the votes in full for the concrete numbers. That first night's count is just to give everyone a pretty general idea of where it's falling.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 8, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

starkebn posted:

Johno is a goon? Or a councillor in a different area?

I don't know if it's who Ken's thinking of, but Rhodry's a councillor down here in Port Phillip.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

quote:

The fledgling group has just 37 likes and 50 follows on Facebook so far, but it nevertheless represents a further splintering of the progressive party that claims not to have factions.

The Victorian Greens have 28k likes. I'm pretty sure a number that low explicitly doesn't represent a whole loving lot, actually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Okay, so what should perhaps be my course of action going forward in responding to the VEC handing me an 'invalid response to apparent failure to vote'? Because apparently the response of 'I did vote, here's when I sent it and where I sent it from' is not a valid or acceptable response (at which point I'm wondering what IS acceptable because what the gently caress else could I provide).

I'm quite capable of paying the fine, but I'd really prefer not to have to pay monetarily for somebody else losing my vote.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

JBP posted:

Tell them you conscientiously object to compulsory voting.

Well that's definitely not gonna work.

gay picnic defence posted:

Dunno but there's been a huge furore about it on the ABC, it sounds like a bunch of people got them when they shouldn't have but the VEC reckons it's something to do with the date people sent back their response forms. I think there's some sort of review process the VEC has for people appealing the decision but gently caress knows how long that will take.

On the advice of this thread I told them I voted but Australia Post probably lost it and I haven't heard back but I recently moved house so there might be a fine waiting for me at my old place.

Just looked at that article, it's pretty ridiculous. Shows me there's a lot of people having this issue, though.

Still doesn't really give me an angle. I mean, what the hell CAN you say in responding to this infringement? It's not like I took a photo of myself putting my vote in the mail.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

DancingShade posted:

Become angry and demand to know where you vote went. Are you telling me you LOST my vote and it didn't count?

Demand to know how they mucked up and why they are blaming you for their mistake. Loudly. To your local paper even.

"AEC can't even track or count the votes they actually received"

Loudly recount the location of the booth you voted and insist on disciplinary action being taken against the staff who worked there for having the sheer blundering incompetence of losing track of your vote. Do they even know how to use a ruler?

Basically behave like a 70 year old pensioner.

Okay, if there's one thing I CAN do it's get loving mad. I am on board.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Over time, I've begun to suspect that 'Small Business' does not mean what I think it does (that is, businesses that are small).

In fact, I'm not even convinced at this point that 'Small Businesses' refers to something that's real at all, I think it might be a term for an entirely fictional creature that exists only in the form of descriptive statements and pledges of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Watch the half-hour special Thanks For Your Time that's on the Youtube channel too. God drat, we lost the best comedian Australia ever had.

• Locked thread