Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Anidav posted:

Does anyone know specifically why QLD Labor is so desperately in bed with Adani? Like there's hundreds of reasons for them not to be but they still insist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Like has anyone done a QLD Labor X Adani mega post?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Apparently the UWA Dean of Business was just spotted on ABC pretending to be a pensioner, and thanking Turnbull for the company tax cut and pensioner power bill assistance.

Oil; Guillotine; Etc.

False flags. Heeeeeed heeed

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Did anyone else get mass robocalled by Bill Shorten in QLD?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh I got a phone call about a town hall meeting in Cairns but I'm in Brisbane so lol ALP you cant even geolocate properly.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Even after all these years Anidav can't get away from the QLD ALP.

HELP

We now return to our usual programming:

Capitalism During Cyclone Debbie in Bowen:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

That's just the single bottle price multiplied by 24 isn't it?

The usual price for this product is 25 dollars at Target.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Such agile water

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yessss

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

muh snowy hydro

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turnbull creates an alternate timeline where Kim Beazley won.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually conservatism is quite attractive.

'Almost too attractive': artist says former prime minister Tony Abbott has a good face for sculpture

Tony Abbott's face might be one of the most recognisable in Australia, but sculptor Linda Klarfeld found herself caught off guard after sitting with the former prime minister for more than an hour.

Mr Abbott's distinctive ears and Roman nose - prime fodder for the nation's cartoonists and photographers for decades - were almost too attractive to sculpt.

Commissioned by the Victorian goldfields city of Ballarat to create a bronze bust for its Prime Ministers' Avenue, the Czech-born sculptor wanted to avoid a predictable caricature.

"It wasn't an easy one. I personally think he's quite attractive, and I always say attractive people are hard to sculpt because it's hard to make them look real," she said.

"He has a Roman nose, his ears are not big and I don't know why the cartoonists always pull them out the way they do, but for sculpture they're very good.

"All his features are very strong. He has a chiselled face, which is very good for sculpture."

Australia's prime ministers are immortalised in the collection of busts established by Federation politician Richard Armstrong Crouch and, after months of work, Ms Klarfeld will become the first woman to contribute.

Her $25,000 commission has been sent to a Melbourne foundry and is expected to be unveiled in the city's botanic gardens later this year.

The final design is a closely guarded secret.

Ms Klarfeld said the former leader was patient while she made a plasticine maquette model, praising Mr Abbott's appreciation of civic art and a bust of Winston Churchill that looks over his Parliament House office.

"It's almost like a preparatory sketch a painter makes on the spot, but three-dimensional in my case," she said.

"I wanted the bust to be very real. Of course it's realistic, but I've worked hard to capture a sense of him as a human being and not just a prime minister."

Busts of the first six prime ministers were unveiled by Victoria's governor Sir Winston Duggan in 1940, with the Crouch bequest providing funds for their successors.

Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh said an unveiling date for Mr Abbott's bust was being negotiated, coming after former Labor leader Julia Gillard took part in a ceremony in 2014.

"It is a significant avenue and one that many people admire and love. There have been large crowds at all the unveilings that I've witnessed and it's undoubtedly a source of local pride that former prime ministers come and visit," she said.

Mr Abbott described working with Ms Klarfeld as "a pleasure".

"I feel thrilled and humbled to be on the avenue of the prime ministers and am looking forward to seeing it in the future," he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Greens will only become mainstream once climate change starts flooding Sydney.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*ocean comes crashing into Canberra*
*Parliament House lifts off with secret rockets attached*
Scott Morrison: Budget Emergency fffffffuckers!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Brisbane stays winning and affordable.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Government-contracted debt collectors allegedly threatened to garnish a student’s wages unless she immediately paid $500 for a Centrelink debt that was in dispute, a Senate inquiry has heard.

The inquiry into Centrelink’s automated debt recovery system has received numerous submissions from individuals alleging they were wrongly targeted for welfare debts.

The vast majority have told their stories anonymously, and some expressed fears the government would release their personal information if they put their name to criticism of Centrelink.

One woman, a postgraduate student, said she was contacted by one of the three government-contracted debt collectors last year. The government is using the debt collection agencies in cases where former welfare recipients fail to respond to Centrelink’s correspondence about a debt.

She alleged that the debt collector contacted her two weeks after Centrelink’s initial correspondence. At that stage, the government was supposed to give welfare recipients at least 21 days to respond.

She said the agency demanded she pay the debt in full immediately.

“My response to this was that I believed I didn’t owe the debt and that I was submitting for a review with Centrelink before I was happy to commence any repayments,” she said.

“They then further threatened to garnish my wages in full if I did not make a significant payment (minimum of $500 on the spot), to which, as any normal person would, I panicked and paid $500 using my credit card.”

The student said she continued to fight off debt collectors’ calls and requests for unaffordable repayments, while attempting to find old payslips from seven past employers to prove she did not owe Centrelink a debt.

She estimated she had spent more than 100 hours tracking down old employers, requesting previous payslips, going to Centrelink, dealing with debt collectors, contacting politicians and working with lawyers. She said she was still fighting an $8,000 debt and planned to take it to the administrative appeals tribunal.

In the inquiry’s hearing last month, the Department of Human Services said it was confident that its debt collectors – the Probe Group, Australian Receivables and Dun and Bradstreet – were behaving appropriately.

The deputy secretary for integrity and information, Malisa Golightly, said the department employed a range of measures to hold the debt collection agencies accountable. That included regularly monitoring their contracts, listening in to their phone calls with double headsets, helping to develop their telephone scripts and imposing guidelines on the volume and hours of contact.

“The external debt collectors are required to meet all of the guidelines, policies and requirements that are set out by the ACCC. That is part of their contract,” Golightly said.

The ACCC’s guidelines warn that debt collectors who try to collect a debt that is under dispute are at “considerable risk of breaching the law”.

In another submission to the inquiry, an individual said a $2,000 debt was passed on to the Probe Group, despite having lodged a dispute.

“My details were passed on to Probe Group before I was notified of the outcome of my first review,” the submission read. “Worse, as I discovered today, the debt collectors have access to the same bank account information that Centrelink has on file.”

“I was advised by a Centrelink officer that Probe could see my bank account information, and could see that I have [amount redacted] in said account (this was information from 2012) and would be in a position to repay the debt.”

“I am thoroughly alarmed that this information has been passed on to a third party and consider this a tremendous breach of privacy.”

The privacy commissioner, Timothy Pilgrim, also made a submission to the inquiry.

Pilgrim said he was waiting for the conclusion of the commonwealth ombudsman’s investigation before deciding what further action he would take.

But his submission noted the Australian privacy principles required the department to ensure it held up-to-date, accurate, complete and relevant information on customers. The principles also require the department to be transparent about the way it uses data-matching.

“Regardless of whether these processes have been utilised previously, DHS has a continuing obligation to ensure that its data-matching program complies with the requirements of [Australian privacy principle] 10, to take reasonable steps to ensure the information it uses is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant,” Pilgrim said.

The Department of Human Services has been contacted for comment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I will hold an election party for the QLD election

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

:getin::siren:
Queensland Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls has flatly denied claims of a secret deal between the Liberal National Party and One Nation.

The ABC's Four Corners program on Monday night aired what it said was a recording of Pauline Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby saying he'd struck a deal with Mr Nicholls' chief of staff for the two conservative parties to rein in attacks on each other.

"I have an agreement with the Liberal National Party, I've made a commitment to them ... that we will not go out there and slag them off for the sake of slagging them off," Mr Ashby said during the secretly recorded phone hook-up.

"But I reminded him that if he doesn't (honour) the agreement, we'll have plenty of ammunition on their candidates, which pulled his head in."

But Mr Nicholls took to Twitter after the program to label the claims as "absolute crap".

In a statement to AAP Mr Nicholls said his chief of staff had no dealings with Mr Ashby.

"My chief of staff has never met and doesn't even know James Ashby," he said.

"As I have said consistently the LNP will not be entering into a coalition with One Nation and there are no deals to be done."

WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Someone is a lying rear end in a top hat

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh god there cannot be enough alcohol for that election night.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ironically the LNP will suck Adani dick even harder while QLDers cry for lack of alternative while ignoring the greens

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh my god.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*kicks down the door to parliament house*

"Oh no, not the new militant gay left! "

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

oh wow

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

BBJoey posted:

you're right the incel anime nazis are too powerful to physically confront

I dunno man

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Note to self. Start a trust?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Yeah. The important thing is that Mighty Whitey blew some poo poo up that belonged to other people. Slightly browner people with weird foreign names.

Something something manifest destiny.

This is how you play Victoria 2 fyi

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bogan King posted:

Just to show that humour isn't dead along with Clarke I present

Peter?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

May budget: Axe hovers over government's $648.5 million work-for-the-dole program

The month of budget rabbits

The Turnbull government's powerful expenditure review committee has discussed axing one of Tony Abbott's first major policy achievements, the work-for-the-dole program.

But a group of backbench MPs have lobbied Treasurer Scott Morrison as part of a rearguard action to save it, with one describing work for the dole as "red meat for the base" and warning that axing it would infuriate the party's conservative supporters.

Fairfax Media has been told axing work for the dole was discussed when the budget razor gang met last week but a final decision has not been made.

The proposal to axe the policy, introduced by Mr Abbott in 1998 as a junior minister in the Howard government, was floated as the Turnbull government continues to hunt for savings.

Another signature Abbott policy, the Green Army program, was killed off last December in the mid-year budget update.

With the May 9 budget fast approaching, decisions have not yet been taken on a number of other big ticket budget items - including a cut to the capital gains tax discount rate - which some senior ministers are arguing forcefully for, and others vehemently oppose.

Last year's budget diverted $500 million from work for the dole over four years to the PaTH youth employment program but maintained $648.5 million in funding.

Andrew Laming, one of the MPs who lobbied Mr Morrison on the issue, said it was a "signature Liberal Party policy" that should not be dumped.

The Queensland MP told Fairfax Media he was a "big supporter of work for the dole" as it "provides an absolutely vital foundation...for work-ready job seekers in this country".

"Without it, it is very hard for other arrangements like the newly conceived PaTH program to fill that gap. The loss of work for the dole would lead to 150,000 young Australians having to front up to futile job interviews to meet their activity requirements, which does little to get them a job," he said.

"The skills learned on work for the dole are an important bridging process to being ready for a real workplace. It's actually in the nation's interest to have a pool of people with experience, a strong resume and supervisor references to give them a shot at a slice of the pie."

However another Liberal MP, who asked not to be named, said while the policy was popular with the party's base it was "poo poo" and "it should be dead; it's a hopeless program".

Work for the dole requires people who are unemployed to work in what are often low-supervision, menial tasks such as cleaning and labouring in exchange for access to welfare payments. It was wound back under the former Labor government but revived by Mr Abbott when he became prime minister.

A spokesman for Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said "Work for the dole is a key component of the government's mutual obligation regime. The government has no plans to abolish the programme."

On Tuesday morning, the minister issued a further statement: "Work for the dole is fundamental to our efforts to get people off welfare and into work. The government will not be abolishing work for the dole. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply incorrect."

Ms Cash did not address, nor deny, that the expenditure review committee had discussed axing the program.

A government-commissioned $340,000 review of the program last year found the probability that an unemployed person will find a job improved by just 2 percentage points because of work for the dole.

But the researchers found a positive response from a majority of participants, with two-thirds saying their "soft skills" – or people skills – had increased.

From January to September 2016, 86,309 people began participating in work-for-the-dole activities. Of those people, 36,544 participants were under the age of 30 and the balance, 49,765 were over the age of 30.

Of those who participated in the program, 59,898 had been unemployed for more than 12 months, 25,368 for six to 12 months and just 1043 for less than six months.

The St Vincent de Paul Society labelled work for the dole a "demonstrable failure" in its pre-budget submission to the government and recommended it be scrapped.

The Australian Council of Social Services said the $250 million spent on the scheme last year would be better spent in the Employment Fund, helping the long-term unemployed find work experience and training that would improve their job prospects.

Anglicare Australia also recommended work for the dole "and similar punitive approaches to Newstart" be dropped in favour of investment in partnership programs that "deliver wrap-around support, education and on-the job training".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Please Malcolm. Do one good thing

For new page

Anidav posted:

May budget: Axe hovers over government's $648.5 million work-for-the-dole program

The month of budget rabbits

The Turnbull government's powerful expenditure review committee has discussed axing one of Tony Abbott's first major policy achievements, the work-for-the-dole program.

But a group of backbench MPs have lobbied Treasurer Scott Morrison as part of a rearguard action to save it, with one describing work for the dole as "red meat for the base" and warning that axing it would infuriate the party's conservative supporters.

Fairfax Media has been told axing work for the dole was discussed when the budget razor gang met last week but a final decision has not been made.

The proposal to axe the policy, introduced by Mr Abbott in 1998 as a junior minister in the Howard government, was floated as the Turnbull government continues to hunt for savings.

Another signature Abbott policy, the Green Army program, was killed off last December in the mid-year budget update.

With the May 9 budget fast approaching, decisions have not yet been taken on a number of other big ticket budget items - including a cut to the capital gains tax discount rate - which some senior ministers are arguing forcefully for, and others vehemently oppose.

Last year's budget diverted $500 million from work for the dole over four years to the PaTH youth employment program but maintained $648.5 million in funding.

Andrew Laming, one of the MPs who lobbied Mr Morrison on the issue, said it was a "signature Liberal Party policy" that should not be dumped.

The Queensland MP told Fairfax Media he was a "big supporter of work for the dole" as it "provides an absolutely vital foundation...for work-ready job seekers in this country".

"Without it, it is very hard for other arrangements like the newly conceived PaTH program to fill that gap. The loss of work for the dole would lead to 150,000 young Australians having to front up to futile job interviews to meet their activity requirements, which does little to get them a job," he said.

"The skills learned on work for the dole are an important bridging process to being ready for a real workplace. It's actually in the nation's interest to have a pool of people with experience, a strong resume and supervisor references to give them a shot at a slice of the pie."

However another Liberal MP, who asked not to be named, said while the policy was popular with the party's base it was "poo poo" and "it should be dead; it's a hopeless program".

Work for the dole requires people who are unemployed to work in what are often low-supervision, menial tasks such as cleaning and labouring in exchange for access to welfare payments. It was wound back under the former Labor government but revived by Mr Abbott when he became prime minister.

A spokesman for Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said "Work for the dole is a key component of the government's mutual obligation regime. The government has no plans to abolish the programme."

On Tuesday morning, the minister issued a further statement: "Work for the dole is fundamental to our efforts to get people off welfare and into work. The government will not be abolishing work for the dole. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply incorrect."

Ms Cash did not address, nor deny, that the expenditure review committee had discussed axing the program.

A government-commissioned $340,000 review of the program last year found the probability that an unemployed person will find a job improved by just 2 percentage points because of work for the dole.

But the researchers found a positive response from a majority of participants, with two-thirds saying their "soft skills" – or people skills – had increased.

From January to September 2016, 86,309 people began participating in work-for-the-dole activities. Of those people, 36,544 participants were under the age of 30 and the balance, 49,765 were over the age of 30.

Of those who participated in the program, 59,898 had been unemployed for more than 12 months, 25,368 for six to 12 months and just 1043 for less than six months.

The St Vincent de Paul Society labelled work for the dole a "demonstrable failure" in its pre-budget submission to the government and recommended it be scrapped.

The Australian Council of Social Services said the $250 million spent on the scheme last year would be better spent in the Employment Fund, helping the long-term unemployed find work experience and training that would improve their job prospects.

Anglicare Australia also recommended work for the dole "and similar punitive approaches to Newstart" be dropped in favour of investment in partnership programs that "deliver wrap-around support, education and on-the job training".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I haven't heard people call it that since Howard was in power.

Ever since that fuckhead demon got the kick everyone I know refers it by Uluru

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I find it strange because I went through primary and high school when JWH was around and all the teachers were flapping their gums about Uluru being the old fashioned name.

Then Rudd got in and everyone used Uluru again. It was weird but I always associated the name as culture wars bullplop

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBwAMF4680
lmao, okay this is good.

Wtf NSW

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

my favourite labor moment is where they got elected in QLD on the back of preserving the reef and now they are actively hatefucking it

I agree

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We will be fine. Trust the market.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Don't worry Wilson security will show us their humanitarian efforts and protect the refugees

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

There is something deeply, darkly humorous about this

https://twitter.com/AuskarSurbakti/status/852843213152858113

YOU CANNOT BE SETTLED IN AUSTRALIA

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seems like an interesting book

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Didn't you read the packet, it makes dogs go wacko you idiot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

• Locked thread