Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
holy poo poo this thread's still here and everything's increasingly hosed, hi everyone

IIRC there was a decent chance of Labor getting up on a countback of the SA Senate ballots, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

label your axes

Jesus should not have taken the wheel

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 5, 2017

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bogan King posted:

I'm not bolding any of that, it's all stupid false equivalence bullshit. If you're so worried about people up there not getting money give them yours you piece of poo poo.

This is a meme my bogan acquaintances have been peddling.

Our nation is literally run by an animated A Current Affair comments section

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Bogan King posted:

QM is a Greens councillor, it's who I thought of first.

'sup

Running as a candidate is a good way to get involved assuming you haven't already had it up to your tits with the feckless shitlords who call themselves MPs in your state (I have, gently caress Jeremy Buckingham and his entire faction of sycophantic cronies)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

TheHeadSage posted:

I might actually go to the next Vic Young Greens meeting just so I can laugh at them. Might be more entertaining than the local branch meetings.

VIC YG are worse than Young Labor, don't bother unless you hate yourself.

As far as factional stuff goes, the Greens have always had factions, they just weren't formalised. There's been a right-wing grouping organised out of a set of Parliamentary offices in NSW since Ian Cohen was elected. Buckingham's staff coordinated Dawn Walker and Justin Field's preselection campaigns. Cate Faehrmann was part of it when she was an MP, and it's no coincidence RDN hired her as his chief of staff. This new VIC one is a thought bubble, though, as far as I'm aware it's like one guy and a couple of his friends.

The thing is, it's not radical leftist groupings holding the Greens back. We've been going "professional" for at least 7 years, and our national vote has stagnated. For all Richard's bluster, he led Victoria to a marginal increase in the lower house (primarily through transferring votes from the outer suburbs and regions to inner Melbourne) and a stagnant Senate vote, with three times the effective budget of NSW. In a half-senate election we would have lost SA and QLD, and NSW got Lee back in by a hair. We've been outright told by Party Room they won't run on free education (despite that being policy) basic income (despite that being policy) or nationalising vital industries (despite that being policy).

You can think talking about smashing capitalism is ineffective (it's not that ineffective in my local area, people are way less attached to capitalism than the Liberals would have you believe) but the Greens need to reorient to some radical and visionary policy. Free education, basic income, re-nationalise the job service, direct Federal investment into publicly-owned renewable energy. Stop privatisation, fund public housing, etc. This small-target bullshit on market mechanisms for climate, tune the levers on taxation a bit and oh introduce a sugar tax is just simply not working and we're going to keep slowly bleeding away.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Freudian Slip posted:

Welcome back to the thread QM

I've missed it in an odd way

and yeah AFAIK there are data that show the popularity of ABC programs in regional electorates, most notably Radio National. The ABC is more than just QandA.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
Remember the meltdown when the Nats supported ABC cuts and the ABC responded by cutting regional programming?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Haught posted:

I'm an active member of VYG and it's fine enough, people have a wide range of views and disagreements. I think the comparison to young Labor is pretty dumb and is just the same tired NSW vs VIC stuff that is universally loving terrible no matter which side it's coming from. The more salient warning would be to not expect that much from youth politics because youth politics.

literally every interaction I've had with members of VYG (at least the ones who participate in AYG) has run the gamut from infuriating to toxic, but YMMV

I am being perfectly honest when I say that not only do I generally have better interactions with Young Labor, I managed to spend a more congenial week on prepoll with a young member of the Taliban Right of the NSW Libs. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess.

Periphery posted:

A few pages old but:

You are right that the Greens need to reorient themselves and those are all good policies. But trying to sell them by talking about smashing capitalism or whole sale economic system change is doomed to fail in my opinion. It'll scare people off without them engaging with the policy. Just talk about why they are good policies, what they are fixing, and just leave the end goal (smashing capitalism) out of it.

You don't start off a convo with people in your local area by saying "Hey, what do you think about the idea of smashing capitalism?" do you?

True but on the other hand it's also important to recognise that it is/should be part of your platform. That might not be how you market it, but at some point you have to have a foundational statement that makes clear that you are opposed to capitalism, or your policy is going to liberalise. Remember, LR launching made Richard bumblefuck his way into a press release saying the Greens don't oppose capitalism - it revealed a very real schism in the party, and not talking about it is just shadowboxing over policy.

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 12, 2017

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mods please change my name to attractive young brunette intern from Campelltown

I object to my fair city being smeared with loving Latham, he pissed off to Camden the moment he stopped being the member for Werriwa.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I object to my fair city being smeared with loving Latham, he pissed off to Camden the moment he stopped being the member for Werriwa.

One more piece of proof that Camden is a garbage place for garbage people

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Halo14 posted:

Serious question, what does Tony actually do? What is he being paid for?

Electorate MPs do a few things but primarily they're a a sort of customer service layer for the government - they refer issues that constituents are having with Federal services to the relevant Minister or Department. They also lobby in Parliament for the needs of their electorate and often also work on committees on policy areas they're interested in. They're also local dignitaries and attend community events and meetings.

Most of the time you see someone referred to as "a good MP" it means they're responsive to community complaints, attend lots of meetings and do a lot of local media work - or alternatively they're just an independent liberal or former national because Australians love that for some reason.

Whether Tony actually does those things or not is up for debate but that's the actual role of an electorate MP.

Now, ask that question again of a Senate or Legislative Council major party backbencher - I worked in NSW Parliament for six months and still can't tell you what an upper house backbencher does with their time.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Halo14 posted:

Thanks, would be nice to see some sort of accountability. How can he go to the gym or ride multiple times a day. Geeze.

Also....

Theoretically that accountability is from elections - if his electorate don't like his performance, they won't re-elect him next time. There's a whole host of reasons that doesn't work, of course, but it'd be nice if we had some form of recall election. I've honestly had Green MLCs and Senators tell me that their preselection is their accountability to the party - Senators are re-elected every six years and MLCs every eight.

Part of the reason I'm such an evangelist for Hare-Clark is that not only are candidates competing against other parties, they're also kind of competing against each other, and occasionally you will see someone leapfrog their party's list. Lisa Singh did it in Tasmania last election. It means you can still vote with your principles while turfing out an incompetent or odious MP - you don't have to swing between parties to get a better grade of MP.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Well Lionhelm has been elected twice now, and an LDP guy just got elected to the WA Legislative Council due to...

This poo poo is no joke what turned me off supporting compulsory voting. Why the gently caress are we breaking our backs to force someone who can't tell the difference between the Liberals and the Liberal Democrats to vote?

Anidav posted:

Crikey leaked policy documents that show that the Government plans to repeal and replace Medicare. Can someone post it, this is insane.

lol what possible reason could they have to do this, that's ludicrous

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
yeah just got a friend to send me the full text and it's a Pobjie article, phew

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

starkebn posted:

Who do you think ends up running for council government

Hey

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
here we go again

The Arsetralian posted:

Students will be hit with higher fees and cuts to university funding will be scrapped in a contentious revamp of the Abbott government’s higher education package, to be included in the budget.

The broad outline of the new funding formula, which could see student fees rising by a minimum of 25 per cent, is to be unveiled to vice-chancellors who have been summoned to Canberra on Monday for a briefing.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham is expected to defend the ­proposed changes in an address to the National Press Club next Thursday, following an announcement early next week.

The new plan will increase the share of university costs to be borne by students from the current 40 per cent, while requiring students to start repaying their higher education loans earlier by lowering the salary threshold for repayments to commence. Students will also be charged a loan fee at the start of their studies.

Although universities will be spared the 20 per cent cut in their funding imposed in the Abbott government’s first budget, they are expected to be hit with an annual efficiency dividend.

The government will justify the changes by highlighting that tertiary education delivers graduates a significant private benefit in the form of higher incomes.

The Grattan Institute’s Andrew Norton, who was on a ministerial working party advising Senator Birmingham on implementation of his reforms, said: “Students haven’t really taken any cuts in recent years. Most students have not contributed anything to budget repair.”

However, rising unemployment rates among university graduates guarantee that the plan to make students bear more of the funding burden for their education will meet stiff political resistance. New figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show 4.1 per cent of recent university graduates were unemployed early this year, compared with 1.9 per cent a year ago.

Ian Li, a workforce and labour economist from the University of Western Australia, said: “The graduate degree premium has been eroding for some time. Private returns to higher education are still positive but they are no longer what they once were.”

Senator Birmingham has been working on a package of reforms for a full year, with the aim of reining in costs while maintaining an uncapped enrolment system that has seen the number of domestic students balloon from 800,000 in 2009 to 1.1 million last year.

In the Abbott government’s first budget in 2014, the then education minister Christopher Pyne sought to implement a radical package that cut government funding of universities by 20 per cent while deregulating student fees, allowing universities to recoup their costs from students.

This package never gained sufficient support in the Senate to be implemented, despite several modifications to limit the impact on students. Labor gained political traction with its claim that it would result in $100,000 degrees.

The university sector has endured three years without any clear guidelines about its funding future. Over that period, rapid growth in university funding that followed the Labor government’s removal of caps on the number of student places, has eased.

An ABS report on Thursday showed that while the federal government’s spending on universities leapt by 26 per cent ­between 2008-09 and 2010-11, growth in 2015-16 was only 2.3 per cent, which was no more than the overall rate of inflation.

National Tertiary Education Union analysis shows lifting students’ share of university funding costs from 40 to 50 per cent would require an increase in university fees of at least 25 per cent. However, the government will also change the formulas by which it calculates per-student funding for different disciplines. Current formulas have long been considered irrational and bear little relationship to the actual costs of teaching.

On top of higher fees and a newly engineered discipline funding system, the government will also lower the salary threshold before student loans have to start being repaid which will sweep many more students into the net.

Modelling by The Weekend Australian shows that 90,000 students would be required to start repaying their debts if the threshold fell from the current level of $54,869 to $50,000; 180,000 more students would repay if it fell to $42,000. Total student debt held by the government reached $47.9bn in mid-2016.

There are already concerns that collateral damage of fee increases and loan reform will be felt by the lowly paid and women, particularly those coming from disadvantaged backgrounds — the very people the uncapped enrolment system is supposed to be helping.

“Disadvantaged students have the most to lose if fees increase,” Dr Li said.

“Our research shows that the primary reason disadvantaged students consider dropping out of university is financial. Fee increases could exacerbate that further.”

There is also widespread sector concern the government will once again make cuts to its flagship ­equity program, the Higher Education Participation and Partnerships program, which has been hit by successive funding cuts in recent years. Others, however, suggest a small increase to HEPP funding might be a sop to the sector over equity concerns.

In a discussion paper released last May, Senator Birmingham explained the need for reform: “Funding of university students has grown at twice the rate of the economy. Similarly, the debt held under our income contingent student loans scheme, one of the most generous in the world, has grown to over $40 billion, with an annual expense of $2.6bn.”

Gavin Moodie, an adjunct professor of higher education with RMIT, said the Higher Education Loans Program was well designed to cope with higher fees, because it did not require students to repay until they had reached a reasonable return on their higher education investment.

“The political issue is not whether fees should rise when demand for graduates is low, but rather a question about the size and shape of higher education in Australia,” he said. “While the value of education is high on average, there will be some fields of student that will suffer more than others and there will ­inevitably be the challenge of having a buyers’ market for graduate labour.”

Dr Moodie said the responsibility should rest with institutions, not government, to ensure graduates were “match ready”.

Group of Eight chief executive Vicki Thomson said universities would be “wedged” on student fee increases. “Students should not have to bear the brunt of budget cuts,” she said.

quote:

The Grattan Institute’s Andrew Norton, who was on a ministerial working party advising Senator Birmingham on implementation of his reforms, said: “Students haven’t really taken any cuts in recent years. Most students have not contributed anything to budget repair.”

Not like rich property owners Mr Speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Federal Liberal Senator and Resources Minister Matt Canavan posted:

a few people angrily turned up to dinner that Westpac held and apparently they changed the world

#imagen being so loving bad at your job that you hand a soundbyte like that to the Stop Adani campaign

• Locked thread