Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Before I saw the halal logo I assumed this was congratulating the supermarket for stocking Aussie chocolate instead of filthy Euro chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
North Korean threats will leave alliance countries little choice

quote:

Australia doesn't usually need much encouragement to partner with the US in whatever righteous military conflict it deems just. We've done so in every major conflict since WWI.

Obviously some have been more justified than others.
But the idiosyncratic nuclear-armed regime of Kim Jong-un has just provided the most comprehensive justification possible for a US-led pre-emptive assault: a clearly stated threat of nuclear strike on Australia.

Yikes.

quote:

Some in Australia will counter that the North Korean bully-boy is merely bluffing. Others will question the DPRK's technical know-how, and therefore its ability to carry out its threat of a nuclear strike.

And some may even be persuaded by Pyongyang's petulant ultimatum: that Australia should separate from the US because that alliance has made us more vulnerable.

There are sound arguments for a more independent foreign policy than the approach Australia has pursued to date. But they are for another day. Confronted by a genocidal aggressor-state threatening thermo-nuclear annihilation, this would be a bizarre time to seek distance. Australia has skin in this game.

I particularly like the "some may argue the threats are not credible or realistic, but you know what? gently caress you guys, bring on WW3".

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Australian troops will be in Iraq, Afghanistan for long term, says Malcolm Turnbull

Something something anzac spirit

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Friedman Liberty conference: Rapturous welcome for Ross Cameron, Mark Latham

Every paragraph of this is better (worse?) than the last.

quote:

The mission, said moderator James Fox Higgins, was to "make libertarianism sexy". The men - and men they all were - on the panel seemed to agree their cause suffered from an image problem: one of oddball keyboard warriors camped out in their underwear in their parents' basements.

quote:

"Us libertarians, we're not that cool," admitted Dylan Thomas, known online as "truediltom". Perhaps to prove the point, Sven Lowe - who works on YouTube channel The Rational Rise with Mr Higgins - said he consumed "eight hours of YouTube content a day".

quote:

Then Mr Cameron raised his arm into a Hitler salute and yelled, to whoops of approval: "Mate, if you want to come down now I'll give you the Nazi salute and you can f--- off to the pub."

quote:

Mr Latham, who lost the 2004 election to John Howard, accused Labor of drifting from a pro-market, anti-establishment ethos

quote:

"I've got an IQ of three figures and I'm not going to fall for this bullshit," he said to cheers.

Mark Latham and his towering 100 IQ.

• Locked thread