Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Ora Tzo posted:

Not quite what you wanted, but i suspect it'll suffice.

NATIONALS_ENVIRONMENTAL_POLICY.mp4
https://my.mixtape.moe/cnyprg.mp4

This is a thing of magic and beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Urcher posted:

Highlights from last month's thread:

Oooh, my very first mention :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

Do you think the mining companies would hire mercenaries or what? The government would buy out the companies, something they should be spending the royalty money on now.

Like Shell did in Africa?

Mercs to intimidate villages being polluted by toxic spills.

Oh, and this sort of thing:

Of course, it was actually far worse than that cable makes it seem. Shell was actively inserting their people at every level not just to find out what the Nigerian government was doing, but to outright control them. A soft corporate coup.

open24hours posted:

With the money they make from mining and by employing the people who work in those industries now. I don't see why other countries would care if they're buying ore from a privately or publicly owned company.

Ask Iran about that.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

open24hours posted:

This is all a bit hyperbolic. I'm talking about a government purchasing shares in publicly traded companies, not forcibly taking ownership of them. Comparisons to Nigeria and Iran are ridiculous.

Certainly ridiculous for Australia. And I am immensely thankful for that.

My point was simply that this is literally something the big corporations actually do. The same toxic corporate environment that leads companies to hire people to outright murder civilians is present even in businesses operating in countries like Australia. It's just that they can't get away with it here so they have to think of other ways.

But if they could get away with having people dragged off and hanged for disrupting their profit streams, yeah, they totally would.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

MonoAus posted:

Not even just bisexuals. People's preferences and situations can change over time. It's a nothing statement and I'm wondering what the gently caress he was trying to prove.

"All gays have the capacity to be straight, therefore why gay?" ???

"No, you see, they say they're born that way. So if someone's preferences change over time, that means all gays are liars and marriage equality is a sham."

I wish I was joking when I say I've had that argument thrown at me more than once.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Where can you buy those rings, anyway?

I like that 1990 and 2010 are both accurate to 6 significant figures.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
I asked before where to buy these rings:

Here you go:

Buy your own marriage equality ring

It might not help, but it'll certainly annoy the bigots.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Bogan King posted:

You can buy them through Airbnb and a few other major shops. Don't buy one it's just corporate branding. Punch a Nazi instead.

Ordinarily I wouldn't, but I've already started hearing insane conspiracy theories about how companies like NAB are making two lists. One has all the people wearing the ring and the other, all those who aren't.

So, yeah, I'm going to poo poo stir a bit.

That said - never don't punch Nazis.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
Brady Bunch morality doesn't work in the real world. Stepping up to the bully and telling him that, by gosh, what he's doing just isn't nice only gets you beaten worse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
It always helps to remind ourselves of the simple truth:

There is always more and it is always worse, in America.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

DancingShade posted:

That may be true but our local right wing nutjobs (and centrist "left wing" flunkies) do like to copy all the worst ideas from our Big Brother overseas.

Give it 5-10 years before it comes over here. Maybe Bernardi should take another trip to the states for some more ideas.

I dunno, I like to think there's some poo poo they'd never try.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

So journalists are complaining that ABC PR is throwing them bullshit lines about the Exelby "sacking".

https://twitter.com/RichardTuffin/status/851399626401824768

In emails the ABC is trying to say it didn't happen but even if it did there's no confirmation.

Isn't it the job of the producer to tell the on air talent when to get ready? I mean, literally their job?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
If this government kills Ebay imports they are SO hosed.

Solemn Sloth posted:

“Everyone has got to live within their means and government ultimately is no different to businesses and households,” Mr Abbott said.

“If you spend more than you earn, ultimately you go broke and our country has been living on the credit card since 2008 and sooner or later it is all going to end badly. This budget is as good as any time to get on with it.”

Presumaby this is the same tony abbott that took out a loan to cover living expenses?

Oh come on now, how is any man supposed to support himself on a paltry $300,000 per year? Of course he had to get that cost of living loan for $700,000!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

poo poo like this is exactly why I bought one of those rings. I've already started hearing so many tears over the existence of these things and, good lord, the loving conspiracy theories!

Companies are making lists of which employees wear their rings (because companies are totes handing them out to all staff and making them mandatory to wear) and threatening to fire anyone who doesn't wear theirs, don'tcherknow.

Given that I've heard this same story from over half a dozen people from very different walks of life, I can only assume someone is pushing that lunacy on talk radio or some Boltesque newspaper column.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

I haven't checked out any details but a big part of me says this is good, a car lot is a massive underutilisation of a prime spot in terms of location

Given the rise in shoddy-to-the-point-of-lethal highrises being built over the past couple of decades, I'd be doing all I could to get a spot in a Toyota brand student apartment.

Any problems with the towers would reflect negatively on the brand after all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why is 'under god' even in there. Freedom of religion is literally our only constitutionally defined right.

And yet parliament still opens with a Christian prayer :shrug:

At least, in this country, you don't get poo poo on if you say you wish to affirm in court.

hooman posted:

Nah we just sang the national anthem... both verses of course.

(I know there's actually like 4 more verses but they got culled)

You mean the "Australia is for white people" verses?

quote:

From England soil and Fatherland,
Scotia and Erin fair,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair.

In this case, Advance Australia Fair, "fair" means white.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

starkebn posted:

is that parliamentary privilege?

If you're standing in parliament, you're obliged to tell the truth. Outside of that, it's bullshit as usual.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the Feds housing affordability policy is going to be releasing commonwealth land for residential development and exempting boomers from their house sales affecting pensions or super :allears:

So, if I'm a retiree, I can sell my house for $750,000 and it won't affect my pension?

So what does a $50,000 a year rental property look like nowadays?

EDIT: Like this, apparently

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Having known a few women who were actually in the armed forces, I'm guessing that if you asked them how offended they were by those posters, they'd say, "It depends on how nice their dicks are."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

DancingShade posted:

Double triple quadruple down on the stupid!
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/25/peter-dutton-demands-apology-media-manus-controversy

"Peter Dutton has demanded an apology from the media for their reporting on the origins of a violent disturbance on Manus Island two weeks ago and reiterated his claim that the violence was connected with an incident when a five-year-old boy was led into the island’s detention centre."

Mah feelings says King Potato, shedding crocodile tears.

I saw this shitheel in an interview this morning and the loving pièce de résistance is that the Minster for Torturing Children also said that "people should trust what the government tells them."

Everything which is public - including the testimony of the local Chief of Police says that potato headed nazi is wrong. He says he has information which hasn't been made public and that everyone should apologise to him or he'll go off and cry.

You've got some evidence, mate? Put up or shut up.

loving ex-cop muppet.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 25, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

This is the hill Dutton has chosen to die on. This.

drat, how did Howard deal with his bullshit over the Tampa and the children overboard scandal, again?

EDIT: Yep, no apology. "Didn't get the intel in time". "They sank their own drat boat which put the kids in the water". "Senate inquiry was Labor sour grapes". Etc.

Basically, he brushed it all off.

But here's the thing, despite being faeces in human form, Howard was a very skilled and hard working politician. He had the ability, the knowledge and the reputation to weather something like that.

Dutton is a potato.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

Bogan King posted:

Dutton is now saying that his intel on the kid has come from classified information and he will not be releasing it. It is so classified that even everyone who was actually there for what Dutton said went down don't even know it went down. That is an impressive level of commitment to keeping information classifed.

This is the best thing going around right now that doesn't involve that lovely nazi cop :munch:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
I stand corrected.

Don't know where my head was at when I wrote that. If anything Dutton is ten a hundred times the nazi Ellis is.

After all, Ellis only ever threatened to cut off the fingers of children, Dutton oversees their torture.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

So, just like the time he blinked in the face of Pell's Vatican testimony and made a comment about how horrible all those kids being raped was. Then very quickly took it all back after a slap from his masters.

Good Boy Bolt, always falls in line when Murdoch's skeletal hand up his arse gives a squeeze.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
And yet, I'd say posting "Lest. We. Forget. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine…)" is in no way controversial or disrespectful unless you're a bigot looking to poo poo on a left leaning woman of colour in public life.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Imagine if state governments came out complaining about high school students being a drain on the budget, "These people don't contribute to our budget, its about time they pulled their weight in society.".

Work for the VCE.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar
Yeah, thinking about that still makes me loving angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bread Liar

DancingShade posted:

That would be my assumption too. Nobody has a press conference to announce their own fuckup unless it's a smoke bomb.

I felt to me like someone had found out what they did and gave them the classic ultimatum, "You either go public with it today, or I go public with it tomorrow."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread