Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Give your kid a normal name like Caleb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
If you end up at the table with him, ask Jonesy if he really did gently caress those teenagers he coached at that school.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Something I don't get - Latham tried saying that he didn't mean 'gay' as a pejorative when he got fired, but with the launch of his new... whatever... he's using gay as a pejorative a few times. Can anyone explain what appears to be an inconsistency in his behaviour?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

You Am I posted:

Yeah, he seemed to only hate them because of the poo poo MPs they produced, not for the fact they were loving over their members.

Meanwhile talking about useless members in the Parliament, Scott Morrison has pretty well given up doing the job of a Treasurer and wants other people to do the leg work for him:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-06/scott-morrison-calls-on-big-business-to-prove-their-worth/8421638

He wants big business to state the case why they should pay less taxes.

Yeah, getting big business to fight your battles for you only works when you're in opposition. Maybe this government still hasn't worked out it's in government?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

“Labor and Greens vote together to block legislation, it’s not an easy time to deal with the Senate or the debt that we’ve got, much easier if you’re spending money and making people happy.

“But ultimately people recognise that yes they’ve made tough decisions but they’ve been for the right reason.”

Not like when Rudd/Gillard were in and the LNP voted with every one of their measures.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Gorilla Salad posted:

That said - never don't punch Nazis.

*In extremely internet voice* Yes, I can't see a problem with beating people who disagree with you!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

:allears:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
If there's one thing I've learned from studying oppression -fascism in Europe to the people seeking to free themselves in the colonies to people seeking racial equality in the US - it's that violence is never an answer. Now excuse me while I huff this fart.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

At some point if this keeps up and the LNP pig snouters ever leave their silver palaces in the cities I wouldn't be surprised if some of the severely hosed over and disenfranchised just engage in bush justice.

I mean it would have to get worse still but the train track seems pretty much like a downwards whirlpool at this point.

I think this too, but then I remember the enormous amount of poo poo people on welfare eat in the US without shooting their politicians.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Every time I click on the Finland thread, they're talking about Muslims. :stare:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

You wouldn't need to shoot anyone. Hence bush justice.

You just thump and dump without a cell phone, let the bush take care of matters. If you don't know what this would mean then you haven't been in the outback.

Not that I am suggesting anything of the kind of course.

Oh, I've never heard the term 'bush justice' I thought it was just another way of saying 'shoot the bastard'.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'll always remember when I worked for Centrelink and they changed the way trusts were assessed for youth allowance. This guy called up about his son's payment and said "You can't ask for that information! It's invading my privacy!" so I explained Centrelink can ask for whatever the gently caress they want (in bureaucratese, of course). Then he says, "Well, he doesn't want the payment then! Cancel it!" like he was never going to do business with our company ever again. The entitlement some of these fuckers have is just breath-taking.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

My friend had a bunch of trouble with centrelink, because her dad had a trust that he was supposedly paying her with, but it was just a huge tax rort for his company and he wouldn't fill out any paper work saying he wasn't paying her. Luckily she could prove she and he were estranged.

Probably wasn't loving hard.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Konomex posted:

Didn't someone assassinate a senator the other year?

If you're thinking of the Dylann Roof one, the motive for that was nothing to do with welfare. Unless it was, 'blacks get too much of it'.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah there was another one. She survived though. Now Republicans are using her as an excuse for why they won't go to town halls and she called them all wimps.

That sounds like the Tucson shooting (with Gabrielle Gifford), and we'll never really know why that one went down. The guy was anti-government but also schizophrenic. I'm not saying either was the sole cause, just a little from column a and a little from column b.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
We've got to post our own troops along with the Americans otherwise the Americans won't defend us when some other country invades. BWAH-HAH-HA.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Anyone know details of where Jenna Price went to high school, including her suburb of residence at the time, and parents background and employment. Doing some work on an article about elite political activism and class. Feel free to message me

Hmm, sounds like my once-friend has gone Full Latham.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Starshark posted:

Hmm, sounds like my once-friend has gone Full Latham.

Yup. A queer academic was describing the trouble she has when other academics have staked their own territory and claimed issues that they're experts on and no-one else can talk about. Academic poo poo. And he says,

quote:

Just head off to iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and many other countries and declare your queer identity.

Full Latham.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't Iran have state subsidised gender reassignment surgeries? I mean they're a backwards authoritarian theocracy, but it's not as if they'd be shocked and no one has ever come out as queer in Iran.

Iran's complicated. People from the country hate queer people and will hang them (my understanding is those hanging-from-cranes pictures you see are from the more rural areas), but many in the city are quite liberal. There was one student at work who needed a hand with the photocopier who had dyed, wild hair and clothes that were less than modest who I thought at first was an Australian or an Australian resident. Her passport was Iranian and in the passport she had the hijab on. These Iranians see their government as backwards and a deep embarrassment, like we see Tony Abbott or Donald Trump. There's a thriving gay underground culture in Iran, so I guess what I'd say to my former friend in that instance is, it depends on who you come out to.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Is that being filmed on an iphone? I reckon they need a first year comms student to help them get better images.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Yeah I call it Uluru, but I don't react as though it's strange when someone says Ayers Rock.

Neither does anyone else in this thread, stop looking for fights.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Comstar posted:

ABC Radio PM is having one story or interview *every night* this week about it I think. Or it might have been RN Breakfast. Or both, I lost track.

Something strange going on.

Maybe someone wants to lance the ol' cyst.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I just can't get over how lucky we are to have our house. We borrowed the deposit off my brother-in-law who got a big compensation payout. We paid him back - with interest - and now we've got a house with 200 thou left on it and 20 thou in savings. There are so many people up poo poo creek I feel some days I don't deserve it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Paul Kelly is someone who really needs to hope the Heaven/Hell thing isn't real.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hooman posted:

All these people who hate corporations diversifying their products to suit the widest market possible and maximise their profits at the expense of all else hate capitalism and we should welcome them into our arms as friends, comrade.

No idiot, guh, you are so frickin' annoying - the fascist left are class war as all gently caress and the enemy of the revolution. Should we accept them in our ranks because they breathe oxygen?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
How many times are you planning on posting that video? :raise:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I was really glad to read this. My wife does charity work to help the homeless, and really - if you can stop it from happening in the first place, it's miles better than trying to get homeless people off the street.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
There's this

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/03/16/six-places-where-peter-dutton-was-wrong-457-visas

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
My rear end has a Masters in Creative Writing. My dog whose head I stepped on and is now in a vegetative coma has a Masters in Creative Writing.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
This is 100% confirmation bias, but if I get a student who doesn't even know how to log in to a computer, much less how to convert a document to PDF and submit it to turnitin, they're either doing religious studies or a Masters in Creative Writing. I'm not complaining. They keep me in a job.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'd kill Dutton if I thought it would stop future politicians from trying on his particular brand of bullshit.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
ASIO I killed Abbott and replaced him with an onion-eating lizard. Come at me.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Something I didn't know: Larry Pickering is going to die. :(

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...135639b8cf008ea

:twisted:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Maybe mining subsidies need to be in the form of a card. You can only spend the money reclaiming areas hosed by mining.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
:munch: <---- why the gently caress is this not 'popcorn'?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It might not be true for all councils but it was sure as poo poo true for Newcastle for a while.

Yeah, and he even went down for corruption. gently caress knows what he got away with while he was Mayor.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cleretic posted:

Watch the half-hour special Thanks For Your Time that's on the Youtube channel too. God drat, we lost the best comedian Australia ever had.

Shaun Micallef's dead?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Starshark posted:

Shaun Micallef's dead?

The Doug Antony Allstars before they sold out died?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
The genocidal tax system.

The genocidal 18C.

The genocidal Safe Schools program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Annie Lennox looking a little rough.