Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

April Fool's has gone too far.

Quest For Glory II posted:

We didnt even make it a full page without a lurdiak fight

Man, don't pin that shitposting on me.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 1, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My guess is that Yooka-Laylee is probably a perfectly good collectathon 3D platformer, but that, without nostalgia, we don't actually want to play collectathon 3D platformers anymore. We can go back and play Banjo Kazooie and have fun because we played it as kids and have that affection for it, but a new one doesn't have the glow of nostalgia going for it and we're going to notice a lot more of the things that make that kind of game tedious.

That said, Yooka-Laylee also has utterly baffling character design and chose an unfortunate art direction for its budget, so maybe it isn't all that good, either.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When did it become in vogue to hate on banjo kazooie lol, that poo poo owned and was fun and cool as gently caress and all the weird little mysteries in it kept me entertained a ton as a kid

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

video games are bad

ha ha april fools :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

My guess is that Yooka-Laylee is probably a perfectly good collectathon 3D platformer, but that, without nostalgia, we don't actually want to play collectathon 3D platformers anymore. We can go back and play Banjo Kazooie and have fun because we played it as kids and have that affection for it, but a new one doesn't have the glow of nostalgia going for it and we're going to notice a lot more of the things that make that kind of game tedious.

That said, Yooka-Laylee also has utterly baffling character design and chose an unfortunate art direction for its budget, so maybe it isn't all that good, either.

Wasn't the demo level that got released pretty well received though?

I think yooka & laylee themselves look weird and offputting but most of the other stuff I've seen looks fine (keyword being most)

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

When did it become in vogue to hate on banjo kazooie lol, that poo poo owned and was fun and cool as gently caress and all the weird little mysteries in it kept me entertained a ton as a kid

I kind of feel the same way about Donkey Kong 64 which tends to get a lot of the same poo poo. Is having piles of points to collect a bad thing if there's fun platformer game around it?

Of course, I never actually beat DK64 because I couldn't beat the original Donkey Kong minigame, so maybe I'm not the best source here :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

I just don't see what makes Banjo games tedious. :shrug: Like people keep saying "you collect things in it" like it's this damning thing. Unless you're talking about a game that just isn't fun to play at all(Star Fox Adventures, I'm looking at you), there's nothing inherently wrong with having collectibles as objectives in your game as long as the levels are designed around it. It's not like it's an open world game that just drops a bunch of tedious collectibles all over the map at random and gates progress behind it.

I don't think Yooka Laylee's art direction is particularly bad, either. Obviously Yooka and Laylee aren't quite as good designs as Shorts Bear and Backpack Bird, but they look fine to me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
banjo-kazooie is a perfectly well-designed and fun game that yooka-laylee seems to be more in keeping with than the other two
donkey kong 64 is a huge mess of a game that still has lots of great music and neat worlds even though the kong-switching stuff is very tedious
banjo-tooie is a game that would be good if it didn't consist of giving you more menial tasks instead of fun gameplay challenges like kazooie and dk64 do

it's hosed up, but today i agree with lurdiak

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I found the April Fool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't see what makes Banjo games tedious. :shrug: Like people keep saying "you collect things in it" like it's this damning thing. Unless you're talking about a game that just isn't fun to play at all(Star Fox Adventures, I'm looking at you), there's nothing inherently wrong with having collectibles as objectives in your game as long as the levels are designed around it.

It's like people are misremembering banjo kazooie and banjo tooie as being exactly like the opening of banjo kazooie nuts & bolts where they make fun of collectathons by having you slowly walk around picking up a bunch of notes in a row.

Tangents posted:

I kind of feel the same way about Donkey Kong 64 which tends to get a lot of the same poo poo. Is having piles of points to collect a bad thing if there's fun platformer game around it?

Of course, I never actually beat DK64 because I couldn't beat the original Donkey Kong minigame, so maybe I'm not the best source here :v:

DK64 would have been better if they streamlined a lot of it. The main issue with that game was that you more or less had to traverse each level 5 times, but not all at once, and levels could get to be pretty big. Banjo Tooie had a similar issue with having to traverse progressively complex levels as multiple characters in order to get everything, but Banjo Tooie didn't split up the notes into "banjo only" and "kazooie only" and "mumbo only" and "transformation only" like DK64 did with its bananas.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As someone who both enjoyed Banjo kazooie as a kid and has replayed it in the last couple years, it sucks balls.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the issue with banjo-tooie is that while every character in donkey kong 64 is perfectly suited to traversing the levels and they more often than not place quick ways to reach dk barrels when needed, tooie likes to make place split up pads super far from the things you actually need them for, has annoyingly long load times that you have to sit through constantly, runs weirdly sluggishly, and outside of specific jiggies and collectables, splitting up or using mumbo jumbo or transformations is usually actually very useless and that takes out a whole lot of the fun when it means you'll only end up bothering to use them for like fifteen minutes at a time and then spend a chunk of your time heading back to turn back to normal

banjo-kazooie kind of has the same thing with transformations, but it gave them more utility than tooie does because it didn't have to split them up between two other mechanics that also changed your controls and abilities, and the levels are much more compact and it doesn't have to load areas constantly so it doesn't feel like the game is constantly wasting your loving time

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

the issue with banjo-tooie is that while every character in donkey kong 64 is perfectly suited to traversing the levels and they more often than not place quick ways to reach dk barrels when needed, tooie likes to make place split up pads super far from the things you actually need them for, has annoyingly long load times that you have to sit through constantly, runs weirdly sluggishly, and outside of specific jiggies and collectables, splitting up or using mumbo jumbo or transformations is usually actually very useless and that takes out a whole lot of the fun when it means you'll only end up bothering to use them for like fifteen minutes at a time and then spend a chunk of your time heading back to turn back to normal

Is Banjo Tooie in that Rare collection thing that came out for Xbone? That could solve the sluggishness and the long load times, at least.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, it is

too bad that collection didn't fix jet force gemini having the worst control scheme for some insane reason

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Is Banjo Tooie in that Rare collection thing that came out for Xbone? That could solve the sluggishness and the long load times, at least.
I believe so.

Even if the load times are better though Tooie still has you running between different worlds for a single Jiggies quite a few times. It always feels a little too elongated to me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/848217009628352512

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I believe so.

Even if the load times are better though Tooie still has you running between different worlds for a single Jiggies quite a few times. It always feels a little too elongated to me.

It'd be neat if the Banjo games got one of them Zelda style re-releases that improve some of the more annoying aspects as well as generally improving performance. Even the best N64/PSX era games could use a spitshine.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I saw the news today, oh boy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I understand bathing with your clothes on, not a fan of keeping a picture of a model in your bathroom though, that poo poo'll get soggy as gently caress

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/848067376407085058

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shovel Knight says, "Highest bidder."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TZo5Gnxog8

(I like his speech effects though :D)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I'm with Kite on Yooka and Laylee's designs, after watching that video with Shovel Knight. Something about them just looks off.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Rare platformers are bad. They go hard on giving you a poo poo ton of collectibles to get instead of building a focused and challenging level. Also their sense of humor sucks rear end.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it was ok that Nintendo was the only dev still making 3D platformers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'll say this, I'm a lot more interested in seeing Rare platformers come back than I would be in seeing Knack & Daxter-Clank games return.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'll say this, I'm a lot more interested in seeing Rare platformers come back than I would be in seeing Knack & Daxter-Clank games return.

Well those series are bad too

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anyway those are from a Web series that featured taro and it looks pretty neat

https://youtu.be/L3wScHE28K8

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Banjo Kazooie kind of sucks but at least it's still playable. I played Sonic Adventure 2 last night and the horrible camera plus the buggy platforming and the awful lives system made it extremely frustrating. Thankfully I was drinking so it wasn't too bad :cheers:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do people consider the Donkey Kong Country games to be collectathons? Sure, they had like ten different varieties of coins to worry about, but they were hardly mandatory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Do people consider the Donkey Kong Country games to be collectathons? Sure, they had like ten different varieties of coins to worry about, but they were hardly mandatory.

I don't know, but I definitely saw some idiots say they're also bad in a previous chat thread.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The world's gone crazy.

Lately I've noticed people defending Ocarina of Time's water temple. In this post-fact world we live in, what's considered good and what isn't has become arbitrary.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
BK is a great game because it had a great camera for a 3D platformer (which was a 2-year-old genre at the time), fantastic music that changes depending on where your location in each level, generally good upgrades for your characters (invincibility being the only real cop out), unique characters, and collectathon gameplay without being too frustrating. I only recently 100% BK and I feel like people who poo poo on the game either haven't bothered beating it or weren't going to be born for another decade before it came out, growing up with a PS2 or Xbox instead. Was a great game in 1998, back in 2007 when I beat it again, and in 2015 when I finally 100% it. Also has a ton of secrets (cheats that can be entered in the sand castle) and the scuttlebutt about Stop n Swop was a conversational topic for nearly half a decade.

Some people just have fury and vitrol when it comes to games. Luckily, there's that Post History button you can click to find out how much time someone has recently devoted to making GBS threads on any given piece of software. If more goons would dress up in a weird Penguin/Hitler fashion with rubber gloves and provide bullshit criticisms for popular games on camera instead of in text, we could turn the entirety of Games into a Spanish Jimquisition.

Nioh, 10/10
Bloodborne, 10/10
Undertale, 10/10
Inside, 10/10
Breath of the Wild, 7/10

2-3 follow-up articles/videos about "fanbase fragility"

EDF 4.1 3/10 who gave this guy a license to review software

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 1, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

banjo kazooie has some stellar designs and music but the jiggies aren't too hard to get once you know the game inside and out

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Is it wrong that I don't care about any of these games and am totally ok with them coming out or never coming out personally

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There was a new Ratchet & Clank game last year and it was pretty good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

The world's gone crazy.

Lately I've noticed people defending Ocarina of Time's water temple. In this post-fact world we live in, what's considered good and what isn't has become arbitrary.

Even Nintendo admitted that temple was bad.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Banjo Kazooie is probably the best collect-a-former on the n64, but what was the worst? Blues Brothers 2000? Duck Dodgers?

Don't say Glover cause it's too innovative to be bad

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

tap my mountain posted:

Banjo Kazooie is probably the best collect-a-former on the n64, but what was the worst? Blues Brothers 2000? Duck Dodgers?

Don't say Glover cause it's too innovative to be bad

Depending on what you think constitutes a platformer:

Castlevania 64, Tonic Trouble, or Earthworm Jim 3D. Probably Earthworm Jim 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

The world's gone crazy.

Water temple is certainly hard and a bit confusing for kids, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means. Its very creative and interesting, its non-linear, and especially in the 3DS remake they add a few little things that make it much harder to get confused.

You compare that to even several other zelda dungeons and its way better. Like, consider jabu jabu in oracle of ages. Its pretty much exactly the water temple from OOT except in 2D which makes it 10x harder to understand.

People like you are why zelda dungeons hold your hand now like in wind waker! :(

• Locked thread