Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's weird to me that as far as I can tell, nobody has ever made a modern reimagining of Skyroads. Platforming on a space hoverboard, looking at awesome skyboxes while chill synth music plays in the background, I feel like this would be an awesome way to pass the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Snak posted:

Pro Tip: Fallout Shelter is a free to play tie-in to a mediocre game. The easiest way to enjoy it more is probably just to lower your standards so that you find boring poo poo more enjoyable...

Hey, it worked for my wife.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I'm replaying the old Mass Effects right now and I noticed that I don't have the Arrival and Overlord DLCs for ME2. Are they any good? They are still kinda expensive for a game this old.

Overlord is pretty good, Arrival is simply okay. It's meant to bridge the gap between ME2 -> ME3 but honestly you can just read a summary of it in like 30 seconds since the entire DLC is just one prolonged solo mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can understand calling out a shoddy PC port that's locked to 30fps when a modern system can clearly handle much higher, but making a big deal out of anime VN games is pretty much the dumbest thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All I know is that there are a lot of UK game reviewers on youtube and they all have this terribly annoying style where they have to lay out their argument like it's the preamble to a loving graduate thesis.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everything else I've seen about that game seems Not Very Good, unfortunately.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

nobody likes yookalaylee but just lol at a 2/10 score

Game review scores are so inflated compared to every other genre that every release gets a 2/10 if it even loads when you press the start button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dunkey has never been wrong about a game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I always make them cute girls because that's what I wish I was

All things are possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When given the option I've always played as lady assassin types since the days of Hexen 2 because I wish nothing but death upon all men.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

I give it a Buy It If You're Into That Sort of Thing and I'll stand by that

Persona 5 does nothing for me, glhf to all goons who are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I remember a few years ago a goon was championing some FF6 translation that made all the characters' dialogue like they were in Reservoir Dogs. It was sincerely embarrassing to read and whenever people criticize localization I always think it's probably because there's not enough curse words in the dialogue or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

Do people seriously feel the need to see absolutely everything in a game? That would drive me crazy in so many games.

"We're adding new content to the game."

Oh great, more poo poo that I have to do. gently caress this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Beating games aren't necessary to enjoy them but it definitely improves my overall impression if I have the motivation and interest to finish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm excited that Dishonored 2 is going to be F2P this weekend so that I will have a game to talk about in April.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's kind of difficult to overstate just how much Microsoft botched everything surrounding the XBOX One. I own a PS4 but I would have preferred the XB to have been more successful because competition is good for the industry.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If Tomb Raider remained an XB exclusive I don't know what I would have done. To see Lara Croft's flowing tresses rendered with substandard hardware... unacceptable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don't "get" cats, they seem mean. Never had one though, I come from a pro-dog family

Cats are assholes, and that's the whole point of owning one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's the Apurrl Games Cat Thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes to CSA boxes with fresh fruits and veggies from local farms, no to stupid anime nerd lootboxes with cheap toys and plastic poo poo they couldn't sell at retail.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I need some platformers or metroidvanias to play, I feel like. That, or I need to figure out how to get into Stellaris.

4X games feel kind of aimless to me without a dedicated single-player campaign, I'm not any good at "making my own fun" or finding storylines within them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most Castlevanias are in fact not castlevanias.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElmjlzdSSM

Still so good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

personally mine was Dishonored and/or XCOM for 2012. BL2 was probably the high point for the series and the developer though

2012 was The Walking Dead season one right? That wins my GOTY for all the folks keeping score at home.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think anything is wrong with Jim Sterling other than he doesn't operate on the 7-10 scale most other game reviewers do. It's not like consensus opinions of Y-L have been all that stellar, he's just on the low range of scores for what is already a pretty low-reviewed title.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The max setting footage on PC looks really drat good. I missed Bayonetta last generation so I think I'll get this sooner than later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I've been playing some Diablo 3. I hosed around with it a bit way back when it first came out on 360, but I hadn't seen any of the changes since Reaper of Souls. It's definitely a much better game now, loot in particular is much more interesting. That said, it's really easy now. I feel like the problem with diablo-likes is that if you're playing with 4 people there's so much poo poo going off during every battle that they have to make it hard to die or you'd just constantly be getting wiped by attacks you couldn't even see.

The difficulty is completely modular, most people level on Hard/Master and are capable of starting Torment I shortly after hitting 70 on any character. For normal difficulties it goes up to Torment XIII and for Greater Rifts, which are Diablo's infinitely scaling dungeons, there is theoretically no limit as to how hard it can get. Most classes in endgame sets can solo up to GR90 and beyond, or well into the 100s in full groups (for reference, T13 is roughly equivalent to GR60).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PS4 is for Bloodborne, Horizon, and twee indie games that I don't want to take up space on my Steam list.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's pretty insane how prolific Square was during the PS1 era. So many iconic RPGs that all fall within like 2-3 years of each other.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Or you could just have Good Opinions

I think video game streaming personalities whose talents are in making goofy video game videos should probably refrain from making any pronounced political statements, even if they are well-intentioned. It's just embarrassing and there are more qualified people out there who can articulate nuanced arguments in the exact way they need to said.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Money stolen from bank is legit because it was once owned by real people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Reading about the bomb scene in MGSV makes it seem pretty tasteless but if it was like a Sonya Blade fatality in Mortal Kombat I'd probably laugh instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I can't see any reason to spend even $400 on a PSVR set when like, only RE7 and Rez are doing neat things with VR

VR was marketed as the next big thing but until devs do more with it and the price/gate of PC specs go down, it's nothing more than an extreme luxury item

Sony was really pushing NMS as the premiere VR title for awhile but yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

After seeing what Until Dawn could do I feel like Cage really needs to up his game for this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's possible, it being a fairly high profile game, that Sony have a heavy hand in it and can restrain his worse instincts and might come up with something genuinely interesting, but I have a horrible feeling they consider him a Kojima-esque auteur and he can do whatever he wants.
Either way I'm letting someone else find out first.

I think for their own part Sony have been pretty hands-off when it comes to exclusives. If there's any hope of Cage reining it in then I wouldn't expect to find it from them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo's competitors have always angled themselves as edgier and more adult-oriented since the days of Sega does what Nintendon't, it's not a particularly recent stigma.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Dreamcast was the second-best console of all time besides of course PC (the forever console).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the late 2000s + early 2010s were a great generation for consoles in terms of competition and exclusives that anybody would want. While there are unquestionably a lot of great games out there right now, most of the mainstream market has been gobbled up almost entirely by the PS4 and whatever people decide to port from the PS4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm greatly enjoying the comments furiously trying to paint this as a fuckup. Nintendo is DOOMED!

It's always weird when gamers have to weave fanciful narratives about how the developers they don't like are perennially on the verge of financial ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tone makes a difference. In Mortal Kombat games, there's a degree of camp/absurdity that makes the absolute visceral violence you're seeing a non-factor (unless you're squeamish, which I get), because it's so over the top, and if you have a dark sense of humour, you can even chuckle along to some of the sillier fatalities and X-ray moves. I also suspect the absurdity of it is absolutely intentional.

With the Metal Gear thing, there's absurdity in attaching an explosive to somebody's junk, but I don't buy it as darkly humourous. It's just a gross, lovely thing that's completely tone-deaf.

I don't want to sound like I'm pandering here, but I am so tired of writers deciding that rape is the ultimate villainous thing. Not to downplay rape and what it does to people, but surely you can come up with something else that's villainous that will suit your story.

You just reminded me of The Darkness, which was so off-puttingly mean-spirited and lovely that it made me angry just to watch clips of it on youtube.

• Locked thread