Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The parry in Bayonetta is tied to an accessory. After you equip it you just tap the stick in the direction of an attack that's heading toward you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

In Bayonetta is the dodge/parry button different from the attack button?
How does the combat contrast with Viewtiful Joe, Wonderful 101, and Revengence? I understand very well how the dodge/parry mechanics work in these games and it's frustrating at first but rewarding when it clicks. I don't love these games but I kind of like them.

Of those it's closest to a mix between Wonderful 101 and Revengeance - much more emphasis on the dodge offset than either of those, though. Dodge is on shoulder, and is your primary method of avoiding damage as opposed to the parry, which is more specialized. For what it's worth, I think it's still their best game mechanics-wise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

The parry in Bayonetta is tied to an accessory. After you equip it you just tap the stick in the direction of an attack that's heading toward you.

There's actually a bunch of different accessories, many which change the game in pretty substantial ways. They're not easy to unlock, but it's a very deep system. It's a really deep game, overall. It looks like a button mash, but the systems are very, very complex.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

who started calling these things character action games instead of beat em ups

An rear end in a top hat.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

An rear end in a top hat.

stylish action games is canon

https://my.mixtape.moe/kuoynb.webm

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 13, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What does Kamiya call them? He's the only one who's opinion really matters.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

well why not posted:

What does Kamiya call them? He's the only one who's opinion really matters.
In the Bayo PC Dev Diary he just calls it an action game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I ultimately prefer stylish action game, but I guess that sounds way too esoteric for most people (who are lame)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's too many words

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

does anyone know if bayo pc has any extra costumes or if any of the extra costumes have the same effect as link's in bayo 2 where you get to parry for free so it frees up accessory slots

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Nope, it's just an extremely good port of the 360 version. It does have stupidly fast load times (like so fast you can't even use the practice room anymore) and you can use the mouse for Angel Attack which makes it way easier.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

drat. anyways i bought it and bayonetta is still loving good even if i cant wrap my head around what super in-depth play for it is/looks like

i keep going from platinum to stone because i fail qtes b/c i forgot about them so thats cool

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The shotguns in Bayonetta are way better than I thought, especially coming from years ago in the PS3 version. Good choice for wrecking single big monsters since they attack just as fast as Scarborough Fair, just have to remember to hold the attack buttons down like with the lightning/fire claws for the real damage and stun.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

The shotguns in Bayonetta are way better than I thought, especially coming from years ago in the PS3 version. Good choice for wrecking single big monsters since they attack just as fast as Scarborough Fair, just have to remember to hold the attack buttons down like with the lightning/fire claws for the real damage and stun.

You should be holding the button down at all times for almost every weapon imo. Charge modifiers deal way more damage than you would think, even with the default guns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

You should be holding the button down at all times for almost every weapon imo. Charge modifiers deal way more damage than you would think, even with the default guns.

Yeah, it's why I stopped using Shuraba; as reliable and strong as it is (and TBH nothing still has the speed and utility of the sweeping Wicked Weave you get from the PKP combo and Tetsuzanko), its charge modifier can't be used mid-combo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Man I wish Durga was in Bayonetta 2.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Hard is kicking my teeth in, and I'm not even past the prologue.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm seeing the TMNT game that platinumgames developed on clearance for $15. i know people were down on that when it released, but is it worth playing at all for that price?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

It isn't worth playing at all.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

sharrrk posted:

i'm seeing the TMNT game that platinumgames developed on clearance for $15. i know people were down on that when it released, but is it worth playing at all for that price?

Platinum has a bunch of different teams. The team that makes fun games, and everyone else. TMNT was made by everyone else.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

aight i'll pass on it then, thanks

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From what it sounds like, the only western licensed property Platinum handled that was worth a drat was Transformers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
TMNT is only passably fun when played with other people but you will never ever find three other people to play with so don't bother.

Korra is completely forgettable, Transformers is a fun grab bag of mechanics from previous P* games with an awful loot system and next to no level/environmental design.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The name character action gets the point across and differentiates it from other games in the action genre.

"Stylish" is subjective besides, so it's not a good descriptor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a drat shame, "Platinum ninja turtles game" sounded like the best thing ever when it was announced. The TMNT keep having the worst luck when it comes to games in the past 20 years.

toasterwarrior posted:

From what it sounds like, the only western licensed property Platinum handled that was worth a drat was Transformers.

... Transformers isn't a western property.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The name character action gets the point across and differentiates it from other games in the action genre.

It doesn't, though. Every action game has characters. loving Mario is a "character action" game. And action games are a ridiculously broad umbrella on their own. If anything, they should be called "Combo Brawlers" or something, if we have to insist on acting like this one company's style of beat-em-up needs to be its own genre.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 18, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

... Transformers isn't a western property.

Depends on how you define things, I suppose.

The original transformers toys were totally Japanese, but the plot? That came from Marvel comics. Although several later serieses were made in Japan, the basics for G1 stuff was made under contract with Hasbro, who chunked together a lot of toys they'd licensed from different lines to make a new brand, so they hired Marvel to set things up, like they had them do for GI Joe earlier. And the basics for the plot then (alien robots pretend to be cars on Earth, and half of them are evil) pretty much formed the basis for everything after.

It's a decent game, anyway. Of the three Activision games, I'd definitely say it's the good one, with Korra being a passable enough time assuming you're jonesing and get it cheap, and Turtles being bad.

But, really, they all existed to keep the lights on while Nier was under development, so their collective existence is justified.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

...Transformers isn't a western property.
Hasbro and Marvel merged together two Takara toy lines (Diaclone and Micro Change) to create the Transformers series we know (and that the game is based on), which ended up replacing the original Japanese toys entirely. It's a weird situation!

EDIT: From the entertainingly-written Transformers Wiki:

quote:

In 1970, Takara secured the license for releasing Hasbro's G.I. Joe line on the Japanese market. Dubbed Combat Joe, the line would soon get a spin-off named Henshin Cyborg (henshin being the Japanese word for "transform"), which in turn would later lead to the original Microman toyline which started in 1974.

The Microman line was relaunched as New Microman in 1981 and would lead to spin-offs such as Diaclone and MicroChange. Hasbro would later acquire the license for releasing toys from both lines on the North American market. The result, dubbed Transformers by Hasbro, would turn out to be a huge success.

After a first test release of the Hasbro toys to a small test market in Japan apparently turned out to be successful, Takara decided to cancel Microman and Diaclone and henceforth started to release Transformers in Japan as well.

This incredibly convoluted chain of licensing, evolving, and re-licensing toy franchises can be used to make the heads of evil robots explode.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 18, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was wrong: you totally can use Shuraba's charge modifier in combos, and it makes for decent AOE spam without insta-killing poo poo like maxed-out fire Durga skulls.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sharing from the Steam thread, but apparently Bayonetta PC got a little patch with this guy's picture in its game folder:

So Vanquish is a-comin'. Considering that a lot of character action fans also happen to like Vanquish a lot thanks to Platinum also making the thing an extremely stylish shooter, I suppose it's welcome news here as well!

Though by that logic so would Bulletstorm and Doom 2016 Arcade Mode because of the combo systems...whatever, get on that poo poo if you're a big Platinum fan.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is Vanquish the only game with a dedicated cigarette button?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm surprised Vanquish ever got approved by the ESRB or PEGI considering all of the buttons are a "GIVE THE PLAYER A HUGE THROBBING ERECTION" button

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

well why not posted:

The Saboteur is a significantly worse example.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

well why not posted:

A number of the Yakuza games share this honor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can't wait to play Vanquish on PC but still use a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vanquish - Superb
Yakuza - Superb
Saboteur - Average in all ways.

I think a 2/3 ratio of games having a smoke button being extremely good is worth cashing in on.

• Locked thread