Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother and The Office are all terrible. The only decent comedy shows are animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Arrested Development was good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother and The Office are all terrible. The only decent comedy shows are animated.

30 rock, review, broad city, peep show, the day today, brass eye, veep, the thick of it, dark place, all have real people

also parks and rec and the office are fine (well the first couple seasons of the office)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
animated comedies have about the same batting ratio as live action comedies, i mean for every bob's burgers and clone high you get an allen gregory or bordertown

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

nigga crab pollock posted:

*has literally only ever seen NCIS* the cinematography is beautiful. it's easily the best thing on television.

Ok I'm really curious what other TV show has cinematography as striking and impressive as, say, the scene where the camera pointing downward shakily lifts into the sky as Walt has a hysterical breakdown in his home's crawl space because Skyler just told him she gave all his money to Ted Beneke, because I am really struggling to think of anything.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Izzhov posted:

Ok I'm really curious what other TV show has cinematography as striking and impressive as, say, the scene where the camera pointing downward shakily lifts into the sky as Walt has a hysterical breakdown in his home's crawl space because Skyler just told him she gave all his money to Ted Beneke, because I am really struggling to think of anything.

when archie bunker explains how to put on shoes

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really liked that shot in the last season where Skyler is on the phone saying she's hasn't talked to Walt recently and the camera zooms out so you can see the same thing from a slightly different angle and he was standing there the whole time. Also all the montage sequences.

The show has great cinematography

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Snooze Cruise posted:

when archie bunker explains how to put on shoes

just watched this on youtube, the end of the scene almost made me smirk

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Izzhov posted:

just watched this on youtube, the end of the scene almost made me smirk

it was a different time then, when if one of your supporting actors put on their shoes weirdly the lead would bully everyone else to dedicate an entire episode to it

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

COMRADES posted:

I really liked that shot in the last season where Skyler is on the phone saying she's hasn't talked to Walt recently and the camera zooms out so you can see the same thing from a slightly different angle and he was standing there the whole time. Also all the montage sequences.

Yeah like I get that other shows have "actually good" cinematography now or whatever and they're not all three-camera sitcoms and poo poo, but there's a bit of a difference between "good" and "the best" and I don't think it's a stretch to say bb has the best cinematography in TV history

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its actually the japanese reality program, terrace house

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

its actually the japanese reality program, terrace house

I'm deeply disappointed because of the steak and the 13 weeks it took for the first kiss

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just learned BETTER CAULL SAUL SEASON 3 starts like monday or something

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
does anyone have AMC and wanna let me come over and watch Better Call Saul Monday night

I can bring some chips and beer

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

I enjoy not watching TV but hearing about how great certain shows are vicariously online.

HODOR
HOLD THE DOOR

Super sad. :(

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I could type a goony rear end rant about comedy movies here if I were so inclined.

Please do I'm genuinely fascinated by what separates good comedy from bad and why certain comedies work

COMRADES posted:

that poo poo was hackneyed as gently caress despite having never been done on the show previously. I can think of plenty of instances in shows where the camera pans or zooms out to reveal a crucial aspect that alters the significance of the scene immediately prior but literally hiding that aspect behind a column was trash directing

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Syntax Erin posted:

I enjoy not watching TV but hearing about how great certain shows are vicariously online.

HODOR
HOLD THE DOOR

lol

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
The One True Comedy is Curb Your Enthusiasm, others may come close but they will never equal it.

Drama-wise, I've been enjoying WestWorld and Mr. Robot, which share striking imagery and some interesting if not entirely novel themes.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

numberoneposter posted:

Will it be BORING AS poo poo like last season though?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

i hope something actually happens this season

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not usually hailed but god I loved Boardwalk Empire. The ensemble cast was just tight.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Syntax Erin posted:

HODOR
HOLD THE DOOR

Lold extremely hard at this scene. well got is dumb and bad anyway so not surprised

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

von Braun posted:

Lold extremely hard at this scene. well got is dumb and bad anyway so not surprised
It was a dumb scene but it still worked anyway

I think the sheer production value of GOT makes everything work. It's prestige TV hooked up to your blood stream. Just flows right into your veins.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
it was pretty lame how he had more money than he could spend, mostly because he wasn't even trying

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
So the premise of Breaking Bad never made sense to me - is there actually a market for gourmet meth? It's meth, isn't the average consumer going to buy it even if it's half kitty litter? Who cares if Walt's is 99% pure?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Zorodius posted:

So the premise of Breaking Bad never made sense to me - is there actually a market for gourmet meth? It's meth, isn't the average consumer going to buy it even if it's half kitty litter? Who cares if Walt's is 99% pure?

That came up within the plot of the show; walt basically uses salesmanship to pitch his product; actual meth addicts probably would not care all that much. Although lydia says at one point the russian customers insisted on the blue stuff. I dunno.

It's probably just bullshit.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Back when I was doing meth, I'd have crawled a mile through broken glass to get really_fucking_pure stuff, so, yeah, there's a huge market for really top notch product. It's like sex or pizza, you'll take what you can get, but you'll go a long way for the good stuff.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I love the phrase "gourmet meth"

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Back when I was doing meth, I'd have crawled a mile through broken glass to get really_fucking_pure stuff, so, yeah, there's a huge market for really top notch product. It's like sex or pizza, you'll take what you can get, but you'll go a long way for the good stuff.

Yeah, I've only smoked weed in my life but i smoke tons of it and totally can understand the desire for actual good weed over lovely weed.

Weed rules.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

some guy on the bus posted:

Will it be BORING AS poo poo like last season though?

Dude banging his head on a table was more exciting than the entire season of Walking Dead

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

You know it's a tiny bit sad that in all that time Walt never got dosed with his own product on accident at least once.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I liked it but I only watched like two episodes because there's things I like more. I'll get around to finishing the first season soon. I guess.

You saying you didn't like it but watched over four seasons?????

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I liked it but I only watched like two episodes because there's things I like more. I'll get around to finishing the first season soon. I guess.

You saying you didn't like it but watched over four seasons?????

What're your favorite shows?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Maya Fey posted:

i hope something actually happens this season

BCS is a show that I really like but I can't even remember after I've seen it. I'm looking at a wiki plot summary and it's slowly coming back to me but before that... nothing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vegetable posted:

It's not usually hailed but god I loved Boardwalk Empire. The ensemble cast was just tight.

It was good but the last season was disappointing

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dude banging his head on a table was more exciting than the entire season of Walking Dead

Oh wow more excitement than Walking Dead.

King Vidiot posted:

BCS is a show that I really like but I can't even remember after I've seen it. I'm looking at a wiki plot summary and it's slowly coming back to me but before that... nothing.

Because nothing memorable happened the whole season. All I remember was two montages in the same episode of Kim answering telephones, or maybe it was calling people. And Mike meeting characters from Breaking Bad but the story not connecting with Saul or advancing anywhere at all.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

some guy on the bus posted:

Oh wow more excitement than Walking Dead.

Because nothing memorable happened the whole season. All I remember was two montages in the same episode of Kim answering telephones, or maybe it was calling people. And Mike meeting characters from Breaking Bad but the story not connecting with Saul or advancing anywhere at all.

As I was reading about last season's finale I was like "Wow, that was super hosed-up and intense when I watched it but I did not even remember it". Like Jimmy super-hosed his brother over and caused him to have a total mental breakdown, then pretended to just be passing by so he could get him to the hospital, then at the end Chuck had him dead-to-rights when Jimmy confessed. It was a lot of important poo poo but it just washed over me. And I'll be watching this season and loving it, but I probably won't remember it by the next month after it's over.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Blue Raider posted:

true detective season 1 is the best tv has ever been. ill also accept arguments for deadwood

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

Can we all agree that Back to the Future has a better script than Breaking Bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isQI0nXQRE

yeah it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

Can we all agree that Back to the Future has a better script than Breaking Bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isQI0nXQRE

yeah it did

• Locked thread