Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The discussion that Breaking Bad sparked about Skylar's role is the single most interesting thing that came of BB. Considering Skylar to be a villain is telling of being an idiot on a very fundamental level. It is somehow a really common take for people to side with Hank, the guy who killed Jesse's girlfriend for no real reason, because people have brains that makes the concept of a wife who isn't totally subservient to her murderous, drug-peddling husband, out to be "equally bad" to a psychopath who chose to kill people because of hurt pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Skyler is a lovely wife and bad person op

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grandmother of Five posted:

The discussion that Breaking Bad sparked about Skylar's role is the single most interesting thing that came of BB. Considering Skylar to be a villain is telling of being an idiot on a very fundamental level. It is somehow a really common take for people to side with Hank, the guy who killed Jesse's girlfriend for no real reason, because people have brains that makes the concept of a wife who isn't totally subservient to her murderous, drug-peddling husband, out to be "equally bad" to a psychopath who chose to kill people because of hurt pride.

She is not the villain. Breaking Bad does not really have a villain. But she is a trash wife.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Walt was not the villain. He was the protagonist. Therefore Skyler was the villain.

Also, the best part of the series was when they made Jesse watch his gf get shot then made him a slave.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
better call saul is a better show

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that special where those creatures (the gentlemen) came that took everyones voices in town and cut peoples hearts out. at the end when they destroyed the box holding everyones voices walt screamed until the gentlemens heads exploded

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
How dare a wife resist her husband's bull headed resistance to treatment and ill intentioned descent into drug manufacturing and murder.

Skyler did nothing wrong (except loving Ted)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i believe that was also the episode where saul informed hank that he was "special" and of course in later seasons hank became a full-blown witch

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

better call saul is a better show

It's the ambien of cable TV.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I mixed up the names of Hank & Walter, but I remember something good about the series. Movies & television aren't imo very good at doing character-driven story-telling, because presenting a character's thought or internal dialogue visually is pretty hard, and comes across extremely stilted with voiceovers and w/e. As visual mediums, movies and television is much better suitied towards plot-drive story-telling than litterature, HOWEBER, when Walter threw the pizza on the roof was pretty good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

How dare a wife resist her husband's bull headed resistance to treatment and ill intentioned descent into drug manufacturing and murder.

This but unironically

Breaking Bad is about a gay drug dealer and a straight drug dealer and terrible women

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I mixed up the names of Hank & Walter, but I remember something good about the series. Movies & television aren't imo very good at doing character-driven story-telling, because presenting a character's thought or internal dialogue visually is pretty hard, and comes across extremely stilted with voiceovers and w/e. As visual mediums, movies and television is much better suitied towards plot-drive story-telling than litterature, HOWEBER, when Walter threw the pizza on the roof was pretty good.

These are some worthwhile points, the change in the characters making things feel real is what makes BB a very good TV show mainly

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the episode where they went lollapalooza is so dated now especially with walt and hank gushing about getting to see stone temple pilots live

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well when you're watching the show you're like "he can't keep getting away with it" but he just keeps on getting away with it. you wanna tune in just to see if he ever stops getting away with it, and also to see the many different ways he gets away with it.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Walt was a danger and a menace to everyone around him. He got Hank killed for chrissakes! For what? So he could feel a touch of the powerful life. Walt is the protagonist and the villain of his story.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the crossover episode where brisco county jr was hunting for walt was just bad

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Although Walt Jr stole the show and my heart :swoon:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Walt was a danger and a menace to everyone around him. He got Hank killed for chrissakes! For what? So he could feel a touch of the powerful life. Walt is the protagonist and the villain of his story.

gently caress Hank too btw

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the show kind of left a lot of loose ends but david lynch pretty well finished walter whites story with the movie

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Shows great, Skylar is still a bitch, Jesse rules.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In the next universe over Skylar gets killed before she has a baby and Walt lives a great life until the cancer comes back and gets him. The last scene is Legs closing a floorsafe in the home that is full of money and a picture of his dad.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Knight posted:

Better Call Saul is a good spinoff, maybe they should do another one with Walt's wife, whatever her name was.

Interesting fact: she is never referred to by name through the entire series. However, the script does refer to her as "That loving Bitch"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
there is barely a single good lisa episode in all of breaking bad

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hank still gets killed in the desert but it's because Walt realizes he's a piece of poo poo too

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

agreed a bit but its still a great show all said and done

season 1 very good season 2 also good

the middle is lots of filler but some decent stuff in there

just pick it up at the last season and especially the second half when walt has to tie up all the loose ends for one of the better endings in TV dramas

i also like how there is so much onscreen violence but since its AMC they cant say the f*ck word lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Gus Fring Did Nothing Wrong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im a tough drug dealer just chopping heads but ill get killed right before i say the f word on screen because of im not on HBO

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

if you like weird not by the numbers cool shows about crime then please watch True Detective i think its my favorite show up there with Twin Peaks and The Wire

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
breaking bad is so good that you have to wonder if george r r martin thinks it stands up to his original work

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Hank, the guy who killed Jesse's girlfriend for no real reason

Um what. Jesse's first girlfriend overdosed (and Walt let her die) and Jesse's second girlfriend got killed by nazis. What the gently caress are you talking about

EDIT: oops I missed this

I mixed up the names of Hank & Walter

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 1, 2017

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Toadvine posted:

(except loving Ted)

Bullshit. She did not want to be in a relationship with Walt any more and Walt was using their situation to hold her hostage. She had every right to gently caress Ted

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Izzhov posted:

Bullshit. She did not want to be in a relationship with Walt any more and Walt was using their situation to hold her hostage. She had every right to gently caress Ted

lol that's not how it works

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Walter White drove Q to despair and his eventual death. You can't ignore the significance of that.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Sheep-Goats posted:

lol that's not how it works

It actually is. You can't have a relationship between two people if both parties don't consent. Skylar at that point in the show did not consent to her relationship with Walter

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
like if two people are in a relationship and person A was like "I want to break up" and person B was like "no you don't LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" and then person A was like "since we aren't in a relationship any more I hosed Ted" and person B was like "OMG YOU CHEATING BICTH HOW COULD YOU"

That is literally, word for word, what happens in this show. That was me quoting the script

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its a dumb show written for stupid people, OP.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I'm not the biggest fan of skyler because she's single handedly responsible for weighing down se2-3 by getting into the same exact argument with Walt over and over. The contrast between Walt and Jesse's breakneck antics and the grinding misery of home life is neat I guess but it did take away from my enjoyment of the show.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
The only stupid ones are the ones who think Skyler is bad when in fact she's good.

If any of you broke brain/home goons had a strong female influence like Skyler in your life well let's just say you wouldn't feel the need to post on SA

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's a good show but s3-5 had a lot of filler that could have been condensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Well OP, people are idiots, easily wooed by a fun premise and great acting and a well-written script where richly developed characters navigate plots full of consequence and pathos.

Yawn. Wake me when they make it into an anime.

• Locked thread