Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's a good show but s3-5 had a lot of filler that could have been condensed.

otoh season 4 is the best season

I like how they never tell you why Gus kills Victor with the box cutter but you can figure it out from some clues given but Walter never figures it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Zorodius posted:

Wake me when they make it into an anime.

"Say my name, baka! I-It's not like I like you or anything!"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Should have ended when dude got blown up by wheelchair man

After that it was just pointless filler

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
the real owners of Heisenberg House have an ongoing problem with fans paying homage to the show by lobbing pizzas onto their roof lmbo

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Breaking Bad became popular because it was about an average American that had to resort to cooking crystal meth by the pound simply in order to afford treatment for his cancer. Talk to anybody in America about the horrors of the U.S. healthcare system, and you'll understand why everyone loves this show; especially Walter.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I think I liked it up to the point where Mr White went full evil, which was the scene where he let the b from apartment 23 die from the overdose because he needed Jessie back.

After that l didn't really care what happened to him.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

JiveHonky posted:

I think I liked it up to the point where Mr White went full evil, which was the scene where he let the b from apartment 23 die from the overdose because he needed Jessie back.

After that l didn't really care what happened to him.

I think you could argue that he also cared about Jesse's well-being, and didn't want him addicted to heroin for that reason. I mean, still obviously a monstrously horrible thing to do, but

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's ok but after rewatching it with people a few times it's really meandering and none of the characters are relatable. I don't feel like it's a show that will hold up in the long run

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's ok but after rewatching it with people a few times it's really meandering and none of the characters are relatable. I don't feel like it's a show that will hold up in the long run

I enjoyed watching it but the rewatch I think is spoiled by knowing how reprehensible everyone is.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The beginning of the show Skyler actually loved Walt, which is why he could finger her during a conference.

The "bad" things she does like smoking while pregnant and loving Ted is the result of being stuck in a relationship with a man who does nothing but lie to her and is emotionally and physically not there for her due to his preoccupation with being a drug lord. The pizza was funny because it shows just how large Walts ego is. He is literally so full of himself he thought a pizza would help the relationship, and when that didn't work, he was so upset that his grand act of buying a pizza failed that he threw it on the roof.

If you think season 5 is where Walt turns into an abusive husband you must not have been following along, because it's when he finally attempts to redeem himself. The abusive phone call he makes was actually his attempt to protect her (he knew the cops were listening). Too little too late for saving the relationship but it prevented Skyler from going to jail for laundering money for a known drug lord.

Bb is a good show almost by accident. The writers had a lot of ideas that were almost put in that were scrapped at the last second (Jessie was originally going to be killed off at the end of season 1 but the writers strike prevented that). Also Bryan Cranston owns the role so perfectly that he broke out of his typecast from Malcom in the middle. That is quite an achievement.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alpha Mayo posted:

The "bad" things she does like smoking while pregnant and loving Ted is the result of being stuck in a relationship with a man who does nothing but lie to her and is emotionally and physically not there for her

So she's a vindictive child, got it, great

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone watched the fan made movie where someone cut the whole show into one

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
heh, thing that's good? Actually, bad

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

So she's a vindictive child, got it, great

She's one of the least bad people on the show. Her and Marie deserve more credit for putting up with all the poo poo their husbands made them endure

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toadvine posted:

the real owners of Heisenberg House have an ongoing problem with fans paying homage to the show by lobbing pizzas onto their roof lmbo

It owns that the scene was a improv and Cranston managed to toss the pizza on the roof in the first take.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Toadvine posted:

They have a problem with the amount of natural light coming in, it's so dark in there :ohdear:

But I guess for the desert that's desirable :shrug:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm so sick of the misogyny of people intentionally spelling walts wifes stupid name wrong

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Serious question: is the nail parlour Saul tries to get Skyler to buy before she buys the car wash the same one that his office is in at the start of Better Call Saul?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Another fun trivia: Vince Gilligan was so infatuated with Bryan Cranston's performance in an X Files episode Vince wrote (Drive, a good episode for sure where Cranston plays a menacing hateful guy that you still end up feeLing sorry for) that he later pitched Breaking Bad with only Bryan Cranston in mind for the lead.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Toadvine posted:

How dare a wife resist her husband's bull headed resistance to treatment and ill intentioned descent into drug manufacturing and murder.

Skyler did nothing wrong (except loving Ted)

I will never understand the Skylar hate. She reacted like any wife would, and was completely justified in almost everything she did (she was a little naggy in the first season though).

Also screw that, "I hosed Ted" was my favourite line in the entire series. Skylar had been pushed around, abused, and denied all power in her relationship by her controlling husband. Except at the very end where she basically goes "oh yeah rear end in a top hat? you don't own me", and cuts Walt down in the only way he couldn't stop, demonstrating that he indeed can't dominate every aspect of her life. It's such a good revenge line that I laughed out loud like an idiot.

I almost gave up on Better Call Saul until the fifth or sixth episode (that episode with Mike), and now I'm hooked. Good god that Mike episode was amazing.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 1, 2017

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Skyler was great. She was the perfect match for Walt personality wise and if he had just told her from the beginning that he was making drugs for the money she would have been on board. Hell, let her deal with Gus and Walt wouldnt have hosed everything up. Also the sound design is key.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
thing that is good? well, it's not so good.

i could have really gotten in there and straightened out their little show

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Skylar literally does nothing wrong, HOWEVER, Walt is our protagonist from beginning to end. No matter how much heinous stuff he does, the show is told from his perspective, and from his perspective Skylar is an incredibly antagonistic presence for the duration of the series.

So despite how right Skylar is and how wrong Walt is at every turn, it's incredibly disingenuous to yell at the viewer and go "wow, if you hate Slyler you're a sick misogynist". A sick misogynist is our lense to the world of the show; the show is meticulously crafted to ensure we hate Skylar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Android Blues posted:

the cinematography direction and editing are some of the best in TV ever, maybe the best

like you could cut out the characters and plot and the shots would still be amazing
Actually, the show would be better if you did that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Better Call Saul is great though.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Because it was on TV at a time after The Wire existed but before Game of Thrones was at its apex and GoT is too fun and entertaining to be cool so it was by default The Best Show because Mad Men was boring and therefore Breaking Bad was the cool thing to watch

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
game of thrones is boring as gently caress

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gee why do people like a story about a man who becomes incredibly rich and powerful(in his small knigdom)??? boy thats not something americans aspire to or can relate to at all huh??

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't get why they made Gus Chilean when Giancarlo Esposito's Spanish is as atrocious as it is. There was absolutely no reason for that. Other than that, it was a good show. Sorry about your ADHD, OP.

Regarding Skyler: if you believe she was wrong and adulterous when she hosed Ted, you are a loving garbage person who sucks balls every second of your life. Indisputable fact.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Serious question: is the nail parlour Saul tries to get Skyler to buy before she buys the car wash the same one that his office is in at the start of Better Call Saul?

Secular Humanist posted:

Yes and yes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

She's one of the least bad people on the show. Her and Marie deserve more credit for putting up with all the poo poo their husbands made them endure

They both suck poo poo friendo

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Walt should have killed Jesse. In the first episode.

What if he actually did and the whole thing is Jesse's coma dream before he dies?
really makes u think.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hank wasn't a bad guy tbh. He suffered from a major depression after he got shot, which isn't strange, and acted out towards Marie, the person who was closest to him. I don't think he deserves to be labeled as an rear end in a top hat for that, given that this is an extremely common symptom of post-traumatic mental illness.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Secular Humanist posted:

This is categorically false.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alienwarehouse posted:

This is categorically false.

"I want to make a medieval fantasy political drama, but I don't have a creative or interesting bone in my body. Oh, I know! I'll spice it up with a shitload of rape."
-GRRM

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when Gus had like half his head blown off but managed to calmly walk up to the camera for the dramatic reveal before collapsing.

What a loving retarded show. It was clearly written based on "man wouldn't it look so cool if..." Instead of having any sense of realism or subtlety. Bunch of heavy handed garbage.

So yeah you're dumb if you looked forward to a new episode of this crap. And oh man the ending what a pile of poo poo lmao

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh look Tom Scharpling posts here.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Want to know how good a show is?

When four years after its final episode a bunch of internet nerds are still talking about it.

That's a pretty good indication.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 1, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toadvine posted:

Walt was a danger and a menace to everyone around him. He got Hank killed for chrissakes! For what? So he could feel a touch of the powerful life. Walt is the protagonist and the villain of his story.

I legit cheered when hank took a bullet to the loving head. I rewound and watched the shot about 3 times. loving meathead toughguy.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Okay fifth season sucked and Gus's death scene was ridiculous

BUT THAT'S IT SERIOUSLY YOU GUYS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Breaking Bad was a victim of its own success. The premise wasn't meant to sustain a show for that long, and for some reason they refused to make major changes to the status quo. So Hank couldn't find out about Walt until near the end of the show, nothing really bad could happen to Walt, etc. It hurt their ability to tell a good story by forcing characters to arbitrarily not figure poo poo out for really stupid reasons.

• Locked thread