Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
'Fun' (ymmv) fact: Boston's 18th pick, Urho Vaakanainen is pretty great name beyond just sounding wacky for english speakers; Urho is really old-fashioned and means (a) brave, and while you 100% are not supposed to translate it like that, Vaakanainen can be directly translated into 'horizontal woman'.

Maybe someone wanted to know.
Please don't ban me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I kinda forgot about the draft yesterday night but before that I remember thinking no matter what thes should be able to get a solid puck moving defenseman. Welp. Looking around the league everyone with eyes can see the value placed on passing defenseman but instead this loving turd spends a high draft pick on some dude who's main skill is being big.

How much do you think that the pick has to do with Rasmussen being the biggest, and therefore most NHL ready? In a immediate results I'm GMing for my job kind of way I can see that line of reasoning because lord knows they can't bring anyone in because Holland has handed out poo poo contract after poo poo contract. Basically warm up the guillotine.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i don't know if it's because of detroit plebs perrenial complaint that the wings need to get bigger on the blueline or what, but holland has had a habit the past few years of drafting guys whose primary asset is their size.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Late but the Penguins trade for Reaves is one of those things I would be more upset about if they hadn't won last year, or even two years ago. Seems like poor asset management to create another hole at center, but I'm going to give Rutherford the benefit of the doubt and assume he can get Bonino back at a good price. But overall it's the fourth line and it can't really hurt them too much unless injuries decide to hit forwards instead of defense next year.

Don't get why they had to swap picks to make it happen though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Florida Panthers death spiral continues as they hired the Fronts' head coach as an assistant coach.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm going to watch the 2-7 rounds of the draft, like a psychopath

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Washington fans, remember to set your watch for the 4th round so you can see the Caps first pick of 2017-18 draft.

CynicallyTested
Oct 19, 2004
Performed better than the leading competition in cynical testing
This trade will either help the Pens or be totally irrelevant. They gave up nothing of value. Sundqvist would have been waived this fall, and the difference between picks 31 and 51 is pretty much nonexistent. If Reaves isn't effective, Sullivan won't play him.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Dreger posted:

There is trade interest in Phaneuf from outside his list, so Sens are in discussion with Newport to see if Dion is willing to be flexible.

"I decided trading Dion felt wrong, so we didn't"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CynicallyTested posted:

If Reaves isn't effective, Sullivan won't play him.

Oh you sweet, innocent, child.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

The Dirty Burger posted:

"I decided trading Dion felt wrong, so we didn't"

"Anyway, we're going to buyout Dion now"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm going to watch the 2-7 rounds of the draft, like a psychopath

2-7 more fun than 1

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Holland just picked a guy in the second round that isn't listed in the top 120 prospects.

CynicallyTested
Oct 19, 2004
Performed better than the leading competition in cynical testing

Schlesische posted:

Oh you sweet, innocent, child.

I mean I definitely still have PTSD from watching Bylsma roll Glass and Adams out regularly, but Sullivan's bench management has been impeccable. What useless guy has he ever leaned on, I'm not aware of any?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
:siren:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878628211923578880

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878628558331142144

loving kill me

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

AsInHowe posted:

Holland just picked a guy in the second round that isn't listed in the top 120 prospects.

Yzerman just picked an overager Russian that was projected to be 84th.

It's a weird draft.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

YEAAAAHHHHH BRRRUUUUUDDDAAAA

Edit: Should probably find out what they're giving up first....

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Is "cal" like Calgary? Thought CAR was Carolina and CGY was calgary. Then again, I do not understand official NHL trade tracker "CHE" for Switzerland either.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Porrima posted:

Is "cal" like Calgary? Thought CAR was Carolina and CGY was calgary. Then again, I do not understand official NHL trade tracker "CHE" for Switzerland either.

I assume it it's Calgary because they were previously reported as being interested in Hamonic, along with Toronto.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Porrima posted:

I looked this up because it's weird as hell and apparently Switzerland's proper self-name is the Confederatio Helvetica, thus CHE.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878628558331142144

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/878632692287451136

*looks at Eberle vs. Strome*

*strokes out*

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So can someone just confirm this for me. The guy the leafs picked in the first round is a defenseman that people were projecting to go early in the draft. But then he got sick from kissing too many girls (or boys) and so nobody else wanted him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Porrima posted:

'Fun' (ymmv) fact: Boston's 18th pick, Urho Vaakanainen is pretty great name beyond just sounding wacky for english speakers; Urho is really old-fashioned and means (a) brave, and while you 100% are not supposed to translate it like that, Vaakanainen can be directly translated into 'horizontal woman'.

Maybe someone wanted to know.
Please don't ban me :(

So keep him away from Chicago?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/878634620652224512

:suicide:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So Snow corrects the balance of the universe by following up a great trade with a terrible one

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ThinkTank posted:

So Snow corrects the balance of the universe by following up a great trade with a terrible one

maybe hes clearing cap space for Duchene

:getin:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
gently caress

FCUCK

AHAHH SON OF A BITCH

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/PeterBotte/status/878635941509902336

Hahahahaha

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The Oilers are going to win the Stanley Cup in spite of Peter Chiarelli.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Calgary's top 4 is obscene.

e: I can't think of a post cap team with a better top 4. Maybe Detroit when Kronwall was younger / better and they had Lidstrom and Rafalski.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 24, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Calgary's gonna be a force if they can get, well, any sort of plus goaltending

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
also:

garth snow is bad

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Almost identical to the Dougie trade too, god drat

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Jordan7hm posted:

Calgary's top 4 is obscene.

e: I can't think of a post cap team with a better top 4. Maybe Detroit when Kronwall was younger / better and they had Lidstrom and Rafalski.

I've never looked at the fancy stats but I would wager Lidstrom-Rafalski/Kronwall-Stuart is the best top 4 post-cap still.

Top 4 in Nashville and Calgary are still dope as hell though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hamonic was a weird geek nobody liked.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Captain Internet posted:

Washington fans, remember to set your watch for the 4th round so you can see the Caps first pick of 2017-18 draft.

Surely this is how they will fill the spot left by Schmidt!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So can someone just confirm this for me. The guy the leafs picked in the first round is a defenseman that people were projecting to go early in the draft. But then he got sick from kissing too many girls (or boys) and so nobody else wanted him?

He had a bad year, full stop, and he's a total puckhog. But yeah, basically.

Also drat, I wouldn't have minded that price for Hamonic on the Leafs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/878638224830337025
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/878638437292793857

• Locked thread