Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Oh hey, Nashville successfully backed into the playoffs. Thanks for sucking, Kings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Oh hey, Nashville successfully backed into the playoffs. Thanks for sucking, Kings!

The Kings last few seasons are probably the worst successful period for any franchise ever.

2011-12: 8th seed, win the Cup.
2012-13: 5th seed, lose in Conference Finals
2013-14: 3rd in the Pacific, win the Cup
2014-15: Miss the Playoffs
2015-16: 2nd in the Pacific, out in the first round
2016-17: Miss the playoffs

They never bettered 102pts over that stretch and managed a stunning 95 in their first cup win year. They genuinely never had a good regular season, and they have more cup wins in their history (2) than division titles (1). They just got hot at exactly the right time twice, but otherwise kinda sucked.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Please someone give Ovechkin a Stanley Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPd7IWaYus&t=69s

Ovechkin gets sucker punched by Anderson, then gives Anderson a bloody nose and chirps him about it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Wippersnapper posted:

The Vancouver Canucks have resigned 1st line superstar Jayson Megna for another year. :smithicide:

:lol: gently caress you Benning, anything good you do is entirely by accident

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

corn on the cop posted:

vancouver i'd really appreciate it if you'd win some loving hockey games to give the devils some breathing room

on the other hand, don't

Nucks have one game left against the Yotes, so I'd really appreciate it, Canucks, if you could lose out - and I'd really appreciate it, Yotes, if you could get at least one more point elsewhere

And devils, you know you can get at least one point against the Flyers in two matches, c'mon now

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

They never bettered 102pts over that stretch and managed a stunning 95 in their first cup win year. They genuinely never had a good regular season, and they have more cup wins in their history (2) than division titles (1). They just got hot at exactly the right time twice, but otherwise kinda sucked.

Keep in mind that the first Cup team vastly improved twice through the season, first when they changed coaches to Sutter and then when they acquired Richards. Before the playoffs started, some stats blogger (I think Gabe Desjardins) did identify them as arguably the best team in the league. I think after acquiring Richards they were at a ~120 point pace with >55% corsi. They were also 1 point off being the third seed that year because the Pacific was awful.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Keep in mind that the first Cup team vastly improved twice through the season, first when they changed coaches to Sutter and then when they acquired Richards. Before the playoffs started, some stats blogger (I think Gabe Desjardins) did identify them as arguably the best team in the league. I think after acquiring Richards they were at a ~120 point pace with >55% corsi. They were also 1 point off being the third seed that year because the Pacific was awful.

Yeah, they improved over the season but so do most cup winners. Generally the team with the best record over the last 20-30 games of the season has the highest chance of winning the cup. With that said, the Kings didn't show any sustained improvement from year to year. They got better for exactly 1/3 of a season and a cup run. They then were basically exactly the same mediocre team they were the next year, and then again the year after that until they got Gaborik (who I assume you're talking about).

Outside of two short stretches, they were never a consistent top level team. Every team can and will play well for stretches, the Flyers won ten in a row this year. It's just that the Kings had two impeccably timed runs of outstanding play.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I really don't want the Hawks to play Nashville

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, they improved over the season but so do most cup winners. Generally the team with the best record over the last 20-30 games of the season has the highest chance of winning the cup. With that said, the Kings didn't show any sustained improvement from year to year. They got better for exactly 1/3 of a season and a cup run. They then were basically exactly the same mediocre team they were the next year, and then again the year after that until they got Gaborik (who I assume you're talking about).

Outside of two short stretches, they were never a consistent top level team. Every team can and will play well for stretches, the Flyers won ten in a row this year. It's just that the Kings had two impeccably timed runs of outstanding play.
Yeah, and the 120 point pace based on ~20 games after the Carter trade isn't really unique. The Flames are on ~140 point pace in their 20, and you had teams like the 2015 Senators, 2009 Blues who went on wild runs to end the season without being anything special.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Oh don't worry, they're going to win 3 of their last 4 and managament will go on about how this is "the youth taking a step forward," "fostering a winning environment" and how they "have momentum going into next year" before they pick 8th.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792838&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I managed to completely whiff on 6-7 playoff teams (depending on what happens with Tampa/Boston). That's spectacularly bad.

The best ones:

quote:

5. Colorado (WC2) - De-Roy-ifying the team ends up leading to a playoff birth.

quote:

3. Arizona - My rationale for this basically comes down to "They're not a Pacific Canadian team" (which all suck) and "Need some team to get lucky and make the playoffs"

quote:

4. New Jersey (WC1) - Hall ends up being the offensive catalyst for their playoff return.

quote:

8. Columbus - Grit only takes you so far.

And my personal favorite:

quote:

7. Edmonton - Even McDavid can't save us.
Oh ye of little faith.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Havent they consistently had one of the best CF% over that span? They've definitely dropped off this year and last, but I don't think it's right to say they were never a consistent top level team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mind_Taker posted:

Ovechkin gets sucker punched by Anderson, then gives Anderson a bloody nose and chirps him about it.

Sucker punch? All I saw was a run-of-the-mill-in-a-scrum jab which finally set Ovie off after he skated away from Hartnell. That whole thing probably had to do with Ovechkin breaking Werenski earlier in the period, which is apparently being reviewed by the NHL but probably won't (and probably shouldn't) result in anything.

I agree in general, though. Give that man a Cup someday. Anybody who celebrates every goal with the enthusiasm of Vinny Prospal rules in my book.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

RC Cola posted:

Mutual but I think it is destined.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well Chicago has secured the conference so the final determination is all in the hands of St. Louis, Calgary, and Nashville now. And maybe San Jose.

I think a Calgary Chicago matchup would be fresh and exciting because it hasn't happened in a while. And when it did, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEveabtsUUI

edit - i am a dumb

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

The Kings last few seasons are probably the worst successful period for any franchise ever.

2011-12: 8th seed, win the Cup.
2012-13: 5th seed, lose in Conference Finals
2013-14: 3rd in the Pacific, win the Cup
2014-15: Miss the Playoffs
2015-16: 2nd in the Pacific, out in the first round
2016-17: Miss the playoffs

2 cups

That's the important part

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I definitely prefer Flames v. Oilers to playing the Ducks. I mean we'll probably break that road losing streak eventually but I feel like Calgary needs one more significantly talented player to be able to beat them with any regularity in general. We've only beat them once this season, and we'll probably lose tomorrow, since it's on the road.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

My favourite predictions

T-Bone posted:

6. Arizona - Probably two years away. It's going to be weird when Edmonton/Arizona/Calgary supplant LA/SJ/ANA but it's going to be soon.

2/3 ain't bad.

Mind_Taker posted:

8. Columbus - bad coach, horrible contracts. Maybe they'll luck out and get #6 in the division but right now they are the clear worst team in the Metro.

To be fair, no one was picking Columbus, so this is slightly unfair to single out one particular person. Then again, this is the fun of predictions.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'll do an effortpost in a bit because I'm still trying to figure out who I feel like goes where, but I'm surprised to see so many "fewest goals" votes for Columbus. They were 17th in goals scored last season and were one of the first two teams to get four 20+ goal scorers last year (Chicago was the other).

Currently 6th in goals scored. Oddly, only have 3 20+ goal scorers, with Gagner having an outside chance of becoming the fourth.

Also, a lot of people had Dallas as a playoff team, and I think everyone made mention about how Colorado had improved.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

JawKnee posted:

on the other hand, don't

Nucks have one game left against the Yotes, so I'd really appreciate it, Canucks, if you could lose out - and I'd really appreciate it, Yotes, if you could get at least one more point elsewhere

And devils, you know you can get at least one point against the Flyers in two matches, c'mon now

you say that and i raise you two wins in the last 20 games

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

you say that and i raise you two wins in the last 20 games

Some team like Winnipeg is gonna win the lottery despite having a 4% chance of doing so.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Yeah, and the 120 point pace based on ~20 games after the Carter trade isn't really unique. The Flames are on ~140 point pace in their 20, and you had teams like the 2015 Senators, 2009 Blues who went on wild runs to end the season without being anything special.

Oh yeah, Carter was the mid-year pickup, not Richards.

Anyway the first Cup winning team was a team with good underlying stats that matched their results. It's not the equivalent of the 05-06 Hurricanes who had pretty bad underlying stats and are almost certainly going to be the worst Cup winner of our lifetimes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Some team like Winnipeg is gonna win the lottery despite having a 4% chance of doing so.

I'd be okay with that. If my team can't have the magic ticket (and they can't), I want the lottery to be interesting at least.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston can clinch tomorrow if they beat Tampa. I'm still expecting them to lose out and miss the playoffs, though. I won't believe it until they actually get that stupid X next to their name.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Matthews has a real shot at scoring 40 goals this year, only needed 2 in his last 5 games. Only 14 other players have ever scored 40 goals in their rookie season, and Matthews would be the first since Ovechkin to do it (Crosby was close with 39 in the same year as Ovechkin). Before Laine and Matthews this year, the highest previous total since Ovechkin was Grabner with 34.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If the Bruins do make the playoffs though I'll make one of those stupid signs that says like "We've waited 2 years, 259 days and 8 hours for this moment!!!"

Twin Cinema posted:

Matthews has a real shot at scoring 40 goals this year, only needed 2 in his last 5 games. Only 14 other players have ever scored 40 goals in their rookie season, and Matthews would be the first since Ovechkin to do it (Crosby was close with 39 in the same year as Ovechkin). Before Laine and Matthews this year, the highest previous total since Ovechkin was Grabner with 34.

I guarantee that he going to score two goals tonight.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to PK Subban.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers last 3 games are @NJ, who's been long since eliminated, vs. CBJ Saturday (who will likely be locked in their spot by then and resting guys) and vs. eliminated Carolina Sunday night. There is going to be some amazing dont-give-a-poo poo hockey played in those games.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I'm disappointed that the Kings missed the playoffs, but coming here and seeing Thinktank trying to explain away the Kings cups was a nice pick-me-up. Thanks, man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Flyers last 3 games are @NJ, who's been long since eliminated, vs. CBJ Saturday (who will likely be locked in their spot by then and resting guys) and vs. eliminated Carolina Sunday night. There is going to be some amazing dont-give-a-poo poo hockey played in those games.

I was a little amused by the post on reddit that claimed the Flyers are the first team in NHL history to have a 10 game win streak in a season and miss the playoffs.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/848942677722669058

Ekman-Larsson will miss the Coyotes final 3 games after his mother died from cancer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

Ekman-Larsson will miss the Coyotes final 3 games after his mother died from cancer.

:smith:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I'm disappointed that the Kings missed the playoffs, but coming here and seeing Thinktank trying to explain away the Kings cups was a nice pick-me-up. Thanks, man.

:glomp:

Any time buddy!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
ThinkTank is the best NHL poster. May he be blessed with a new GM.

So is Tony Stolarz playing well just small sample size or is he putting it together?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Twin Cinema posted:

To be fair, no one was picking Columbus, so this is slightly unfair to single out one particular person. Then again, this is the fun of predictions.

Oh definitely. I didn't even give Columbus the credit I wanted to because I certainly didn't think they were better than PIT/WSH/NYR and wondered about NYI and Philly.

quote:

Currently 6th in goals scored. Oddly, only have 3 20+ goal scorers, with Gagner having an outside chance of becoming the fourth.

Their scoring has been more spread out this season. They only had 7 10+ goal scorers last year as compared to 11 this year (Calvert could make 12 with one more). Two players who weren't on the team last year have 10+ (Gagner, Werenski), and a third (Jones) was there half the season. One of the 20+ guys (Jenner; 30) slumped hard out of the gate, as did Dubinsky. Their scoring was made up for by Gagner, Wennberg, and Foligno. (Both Dubi and Jenner eventually rallied, at 11 and 16 respectively.).

DJExile posted:

CBJ will have something to play for if they're shooting for home ice. They're one point behind Pittsburgh with a game against them tomorrow (and I guess are reasonably ahead in the ROW tiebreaker), then host Winnipeg and travel to Philadelphia and Toronto. Even if they lose to PIT, the last three should be winnable games.

That said, Boomer and I were talking last night and, even though it'd be nice, wonder if home ice is something they'd have to have to win the series. Win one in Pittsburgh (as they did in 13-14) and the CBJ wind up with home ice over the last (up to) 5 games.

Kilza posted:

:(

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

My favourite predictions

2/3 ain't bad.

he's right though? the coyotes are tanking

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So is Tony Stolarz playing well just small sample size or is he putting it together?

The organization has been pretty high on him. He's had a solid few years while the Phantoms have turned around and it sounds like they fully expect him to be up with the Flyers next year.

E: Hard to tell if he's the "next big thing" but I'll take bringing guys up from the minors 9 times out of 10 compared to the Holmgren model of just trying to reach out and grab someone in a trade or free agency.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

hifi posted:

he's right though? the coyotes are tanking

I was more impressed with, even if he didn't say it'd happen this year, Edmonton & Calgary's rise coinciding with the other team's fall. Like, sure, it's not really that big of a prediction to say that 3 young teams will eventually surpass 3 older teams in 2-3 years, but I just put it there because it happened this year.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Schlesische posted:

My favorite part is the reminder that less than 6 months ago we all believed Carey Price getting injured again was the only long-shot way Therrien was getting fired.

Turns out we were wrong. He just had to have a solid month and a half of sub-.900 goaltending.

:tinfoil: He went from something stupid like averaging .949 to .898 and I think in March (after Therrien's dismissal) he was back at .949-ish numbers.

Some brilliant planning and execution on that one by Price.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Twin Cinema posted:

Personally I think Matthews should probably be top 6 in MVP discussion with McDavid, Crosby, Kucherov, Marchand and Bobrovsky. The guy has had an awesome year.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mind_Taker posted:

For any non-Russian speakers, FYI, it might be worth your time to find someone who does understand it and have them do a running translation, because that poo poo was at least as entertaining as anything on the screen. My general view of American play-by-play - in any sport - is that I'd rather watch the game/match on mute, except then I wouldn't be able to hear the sound of play itself.

But I've seen games where I'd have preferred just listening to these guys relate it, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Slappy Pappy posted:

Personally I think Matthews should probably be top 6 in MVP discussion with McDavid, Crosby, Kucherov, Marchand and Bobrovsky. The guy has had an awesome year.

Hahaha what.

• Locked thread