Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:lol: somehow I missed this during the regular season:

sbisa is so bad. I hope Vegas takes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

outside of the top 2, who would you value at C over vilardi? Mittelstadt, and who else?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

wow Suzuki is tearing poo poo up as a shorty, looks good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

iospace posted:

NOW ACCEPTING TITLES FOR THE NEW LOSERS, QUOTE THIS WITH IDEAS

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

I'm a Leaf on the wind, watch how I score *gets Cap'd*

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it's worrying because the canucks are definitely going to be bad next year. Is management going to try and push another 'new coach, win now!' narrative? Or even a 'retooling on the fly' narrative? Or will they be honest and accept that this is the last season of the Sedins, and that the team is in desperate need of top-line talent?

If they do the latter, a down year probably won't count much against Green. If they do either of the first two...?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Paulocaust probably screams at his minimum wage jersey selling employees in his Small Canadian Business haha

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I think a bounce back season is going to be wishful thinking. Miller might get resigned, and despite my criticism of him over the last couple years he's been a good goalie. If we can get him for one year on the cheap that would be great. But I think it'll probably be Markstrom starting next season and... I don't see him being good enough to carry the team. Besides that our top scorers currently are going to be Horvat, Baerschi, Granlund, Sutter, and 'top' here means 'maybe 20 goals each'. Canucks don't have the offensive talent to blow out opponents, and don't have the goaltending to reliably win low-scoring games. With Tryampkin leaving it's more likely we'll see Gudbranson and maybe Juolevi playing, so D seems to be a wash (I like our D, despite Sbisa and Gudbranson).

The team is hosed, and I hope they're hosed enough to grab 31st overall next year, as boring as another losing year of hockey would be.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 25, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Agreed, at the very least due to their cap hit. They did even worse this year than I was expecting (I think I said they might not break 70 pts each this year; only Hank even hit 50 on the nose), and I doubt either breaks 60 points next year. Maybe they do better with super sheltered deployment, and 1st line PP time - but I think it's gonna be the Baerschi - Horvat - ??? show next season.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Also going to be really funny when Lu retires early and Canucks get stomped with recapture penalties

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/440982011251945472

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oh also the Canucks need to resign Horvat, so either they need Vegas to take Sbisa or Sutter (or some other expensive player) off their hands, resign Miller REAL cheap, or dump Miller or a bunch of other RFAs/UFAs (please be Gudbranson, just take the loss) because I bet Bo is gonna pull north of 4m

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

my limited understanding was he didn't put Subban on PP1, and didn't utilize him as much as other D-men.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/857309055093690368

So do Linden or Benning actually know what a rebuild is?

they are too drat cagey to say one way or the other in case they switch tracks again and the fans get angry

Drunk Canuck posted:

Congratulations Canucks, you will only be bad for the next 5-7 years instead of the predicted 10.

hooray! No Oilers or Leafs decade for us!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

They are desperate to pick top two and declare the rebuild a complete success then trade for Evander Kane.

I wonder what Benning is thinking here... hoping for a fluke good season? If he gets on his soapbox and talks mumbles on again about how we're gonna win now, and we wanna make the playoffs and bluh-bluh-bluh he'll be canned for sure at the end of another lousy season. Maybe if he commits to a rebuild he keeps his job another year.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

It would take someone much more versed in Canadian and Quebecois history to suss this out properly, but this is as much a cultural and historical artifact as a bunch of other stuff is in hockey or anything else. It'll probably fade over time; Quebec separating is no longer really a reality in Canada, and eventually time will smooth over the FLQ troubles and inequalities of the past, and eventually people won't care enough to continue with such cultural mores. But I don't think it's absurd to want a bilingual coach. English speakers would almost certainly object to a unilingual french speaking coach.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Yaya posted:

You're forgetting Michael Rasmussen, who is 6'5 and from Surrey.

I am terrified at picking 4th or 5th for this reason

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it is true, I am assuming that, feel free to throw this post back in my face at the draft

e: know, however, that I will be very drunk and surly

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

In which Travis Green says some boilerplate stuff

Good to know he thinks the Sedins should play less - they ought to, and they ought to be getting sheltered O-zone starts and such. We'll see how he does with them I guess; not sure what he means by having the younger players lean on them though. Also don't really like the talk of relying on all 4 lines, because the canucks bottom 6 is... trash.

Wait and see I guess.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

stab posted:

I'm an English speaker and the coach can speak loving Korean for all I care. I want my team to not suck.

Congrats, you're on the 'not caring' fast-track

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Chayka is like, still doing the job too right? Like he wasn't fired or anything... that's strange as hell

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

two more days :ohdear:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I am ready for the Canucks to pick 5th

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

FUUUUU

e: okay, okay, still at 3rd at worst, still at 3rd, cmon now

oh loving poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:lol: CANUCKS PICKING 5th gently caress ME RIGHT IN THE rear end

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I abandoned the screen after I saw 3 teams behind us win the picks, so I don't know how that wound out, but the top 3 are some mix of the Stars, the Flyers, and the loving Devils

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

1) Devils
2) Flyers
3) Stars
4) Avs
5) Canucks

I am super excited for my dumbass GM to pick another local big boy gently caress everything

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

Canucks are taking the throne of the Oilers of the past 7 years so have fun with that. Eventually everyone will be mad about you hoovering up first picks!

the canucks have never had a first overall and never will

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

good thing he's not playing for the Jets then

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ha ha ha!

quote:

By season’s end, Ryan Miller was the only Canuck to play more even strength minutes than Sbisa’s 1334. The next closest Canucks skater was Alex Edler at 1258 minutes of even strength ice-time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

grack posted:

It's gonna be an issue next season with Tryamkin gone, unless Juolevi or Pedan is ready to play full time.

I think pretty much anyone else would be a better option given Sbisa's effect on his linemates play

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the names, or the junior hockey?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I don't remember who was making jokes about teams having the blues

but it looks like this thread has the Blues now

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Good soup! posted:

God drat I remember his statement following the poo poo that went down with Richards and that was weird as hell. What the hell would the benefits be?

Sweet L.A. based pain-meds hookups

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

seems like this is all gravy for the devils - does Kovalchuk have to do a sign and trade through them?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

T-Bone posted:

if he wants to play in the NHL

so they got out of a bad contract, and now may get picks/prospects/players for, essentially, nothing? I mean, yeah they're giving up Kovalchuk... but they already did that 4 years ago, and wouldn't want him back now anyhow.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Technically they lost a 3rd rounder, and dropped like 16 spots or so in the 2014 1st round.

I forgot about that stuff - I suppose those two could have amounted to a player/prospect a few years down the line

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

hello RAS

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

......AV is going to demand we re-sign him, isn't he. :bang:

hell yeah

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yellowcar posted:

You let the Sens of all teams beat you. Shame. Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

right after they beat the Habs too

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

if you fire AV he is instantly the best available coach on the market by a long shot

e: honestly, the problem here seems to be "AV plays bad players more than good ones" so... the rags GM should do something about the bad players then?

• Locked thread