Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Buyouts are nice but I really want to see some big trades happening soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Duchene really a five star player? Not to say he isn't pretty good but it seems like he falls short of that descriptor.

I don't really know what you mean by 5-star player but IMO he's probably a top line center on a lot of teams. It's really hard to judge exactly how good he is given the garbage team he's played for for a few years but he still produces a lot.

Colorado is going to get fleeced in whatever trade they make.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The trade is basically to meet the exposure requirement so the Capitals can protect Lars Eller and Tom Wilson.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Why the hell do they care about those two

Yeah it seems like a waste of a 5th round draft pick because I can't see McPhee selecting anyone but Schmidt or Grubauer. If he selects anyone else (such as Eller or Wilson) then that would be a huge win for the Capitals because they could then trade Grubauer for a likely good return and also Nate Schmidt owns. Please don't select Nate Schmidt.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hey has anyone asked where da trades at?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/876082634383921152

Oh, okay, all the trades will just be after the expansion draft but before the entry draft then!

Also the trades will be for lovely players.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Caps protecting Tom Wilson but exposing Nate Schmidt :lol:

Eh it's a little disingenuous to put it that way. If they wanted to protect Nate Schmidt they would have had to expose Johansson or Burakovsky (on top of Wilson and Eller). So it's not really a matter of Wilson vs. Schmidt.

That being said it's criminal the way Schmidt was utilized in Washington. I seriously can't believe he was a healthy scratch for the first few games of the postseason when he was probably their third best D behind Niskanen and Orlov.

I still would have entertained trading Carlson for a forward and protecting Schmidt. It's gonna suck when Carlson walks as a UFA next year because screw paying him what he's going to get on the open market. He should have a lot of trade value now but it looks like they are okay with not doing much this offseason.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 18, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

It's kind of irrelevant anyway. Grubeaur is the obvious pick unless there's a trade to protect him.

It depends on the market for goalies but generally I agree with you. Schmidt is very good in the defensive and neutral zones and is a great skater but he lacks quality in the offensive zone, has a poor shot, and isn't really a good option on the PP. Hard to make a case he's close to a #1 but he's certainly a solid second pairing dude. Really depends on what Vegas is interested in.

From the Capitals perspective it would be a huge loss because that makes Orpik a second pairing defenseman which is uh not ideal. I hope they take Grubauer.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Holtby is an outspoken proponent of LGBTQ rights so he's cool in my book, except for the whole falling apart against the Penguins this postseason. Maybe don't do that next year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm all in favor of Vegas tanking but at least take good players and flip them for more draft picks than you'd get for flipping bad players.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

God drat I'm still mad about losing Schmidt. The Capitals should have been willing to give up a lot to keep him but it doesn't shock me that Trotz and MacLellan don't actually see how good he is and the type of value he's going to provide on like a $2M a year contract.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

McPhee has no idea what he's doing. What a steal for Montreal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

a false posted:

honestly if mcphee trades away all the halfway decent guys he drafted that aren't young enough to still be impactful when the team has a chance at relevancy 3-4 years down the line that's... maybe a good idea?

Better idea: get more than a 5th rounder for a really good third pairing dude.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/leahflame/status/877949116138926081

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Old Tyme Hockey folks aren't happy with Tippett's firing. Has he really accomplished anything noteworthy? Seems like just another dude, and those types of coaches get fired rather routinely.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

grack posted:

Yeah, because so many other coaches would've had success with that roster.

I get that the roster was terrible but it's not like he overachieved with the roster either. He seems like a very replaceable coach.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I cannot wait for today's biggest trade to be Marco Scandella for picks. Should be thrilling!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

:f5:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My favorite part about this Twitter account is that it is following only one other account and it's the one for Ragu pasta sauce.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

a false posted:

scandella is good

nah

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah he seems remarkably average.

edit: vvvv I guess. I'm not a Boston fan but some rumors have also linked Scandella to Washington and I want no part of it if that's the asking price. Not that the Capitals have a first-round pick this season.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yah all I'm seeing is Nate Schmidt dragging around the corpse of Brooks Orpik while Scandella has been with like Dumba and other decent players.

i.e. these charts aren't the definitive measure of a player and I love fancystats

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No but it Nate Schmidt owns then Marco Scandella must own even more.

Otherwise you're throwing out undeserved ownses.

Give me the fancystats on Scandella's smile and we'll talk.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kill me now

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

They could have signed Justin Williams for 2 years $7M total and got similar production. What a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Let's lock up a guy who shot 23% last year he's sure to do it again 8 years in a row!

And lol if Orpik is still on the roster next season.

This has been a terrible offseason for Washington.

• Locked thread