Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remember that scene from Inglorious Basterds, where they just used the sound of Bear Jew's bat tapping against the wall to freak out Nazi prisoners? I picture Hextall's phone calls going like that.

"C'mon Ron, it's Zac Rinaldo, best I can do is a 5th for him."
*tapping of old Sher-wood stick against desk*
"Ok! OK! a 4th! Jesus!"
*tapping continues*
"FINE, A THIRD!"
*click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So the Minnesota Timberwolves have a new logo

https://twitter.com/conradburry/status/851862845427986434

and while it looks like some SBNation team page logo, boy that also looks suuuuuuper fuckin' familiar...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

son of a bitch I'm mad I didn't think of that :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MononcQc posted:

couldn't not do it

hahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

We had a logo that pointed at the moon once, but everyone called it a gray dong and chased it off.

Boomer was too good for this world

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Steve Mason calling out the goalie platoon idea

CSN posted:

Mason, however, made it fairly clear to the Flyers' general manager that goalie platooning doesn't work and if coach Dave Hakstol wants to continue platooning, then he wants no part of coming back to the Flyers.
"Coming into the season, with Neuvy getting the nod as the No. 1 guy, then fine, you just need to have ... for both of our sakes, you need to have defined roles," Mason said.

In training camp, Hextall said that having Mason and Neuvirth was like having two No. 1 goalies and it was a position of "strength" on the team. Mason said the mini-competition this season -- both were vying for contract renewals -- was flawed.

"Doesn't work," Mason said. "And it's shown throughout the league, it doesn't work. Tampa got rid of their situation. St. Louis got rid of their situation. It's got nothing to do with Neuvy and I as people. I've got no issues with Neuvy. It doesn't work for the goaltending position."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I think loving with the head of the guy who against all odds was the best goalie you've had in like 20 drat years, after he's publicly talked about the issues he had after with everything that happened in Columbus, is quite stupid.

Yeah Mason's been very solid when he's the clear #1 starter and lord knows we've had worse backups than Neuvirth, but this 1A-1B thing clearly isn't working.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, looks like it won't be an issue next year. Mason isn't coming back if he's saying things like that, not that it was likely anyway once Neuvirth's contract was renewed.

In Stolarz we trust ?

Yeah the long game is to make Stolarz the Goalie Of The Future TM, and they've been pretty high on Lyon as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pungry posted:

Why the gently caress did you guys draft Carter Hart, the best Goalie of the Future, then?

He's only 18 and it's likely going to be a while before he comes up to the big club. Stolarz is basically the first goalie the team has brought up through their prospect system in ages.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Aren't the Stars in a position where it doesn't matter who runs the bench because they have scrubs for goaltenders?

Or did their goalies redeem themselves at all, never really watched the stars this year.

Basically the former. Both goalies are still mediocre at VERY best and signed to hilariously bad contracts.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

My curiosity is more about what happens if they start taking hormone supplements (and it doesn't run afoul of league doping policy). If they bulk up, could a transgender professional hockey player physically compete in the NHL?

I don't see why not, there have been plenty of under-sized players that have done well in the NHL.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the harder thing to overcome would be a lifetime of playing no-contact hockey and then suddenly switching. That would affect almost every aspect of the way you play your game, I'd think.

Yeah this is a fair point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The East Coast Hockey League has teams in Idaho and Colorado. The American Hockey League has Canadian teams. Sometimes things like this happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In other news, Team Canada GM Ron Hextall has announced Dave Hakstol.... as assistant coach.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Ron Hextall is a bad GM.

BSH posted:

Hakstol will serve under Tampa Bay Lightning head coach Jon Cooper, who will be the head coach of Team Canada. Joining Hakstol as assistants are former Florida Panthers coach Gerard Gallant and longtime coach Dave King.

I feel like there are worse staffs to have. Then again, how good of coaching do you need when you're goddamn team canada?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is he related to Rick?

Don't believe so

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The flyers have fired assistant coach Joe Mullen, who handled the power play

E; also:

https://twitter.com/BSH_Charlie/sta...mebody-else-yes

oh boy :ohdear:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

More stuff from Hexy. He's going all-in on the youth movement

quote:

The trade of Mark Streit and the decisions to not re-sign Michael Del Zotto and Nick Schultz leaves open spots on defense that will not, Hextall says, be filled with veteran signings. There is no room for that, either cap wise or in three defensive pairs.

"We don't plan on going out and signing veterans on the back end," said Hextall. "Our kids, it's time to give them a shot, and we're going to do that."

Both Sam Morin, the 2013 No. 1, and Robert Hagg, the 2013 No. 2, have had two years at Lehigh Valley, which will be the norm. Travis Sanheim, the 2014 No. 1, has more offensive ability than either one of the above, and there is no question that the Flyers need another D who can make good transition plays, but Hextall will not eat his young. Sanheim won't be on the team unless he is ready and, in the organization's belief, Morin and Hagg likely are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like that's win-win. Because it gives Ghost time to play, as well as making it show and prove time for the kids. If it doesn't work, you have more cap space ($24M in 18-19), plus the draft is supposed to be super deep next year.

Now he just needs to fire Hakstol and hire a decent coach (I am unsure who that'd be, I don't think Sutter'd be a good fit them).

I get the feeling Hak's on a short leash this coming season. Firing one of his assistants (and I'd be surprised if Ian Lapierriere was still running the PK this coming year) was probably indicating as much. Philadelphia is a lot of things but they haven't really been a team to stick close to any one coach.

That said, Hakstol did seem to find a decent groove in the last 4-5 weeks of the season, even when we were clearly dead in terms of the playoffs. He finally started relying less on the 4th line and on the whole did seem to get away from the idea of trying to play like the Kings, which we in no way are built to do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the problem is now I think they're 100% stuck with AMac until his contract dies. I don't think they can even stash him in Lehigh Valley at this point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's hard to judge the flyers against the standings right now because the caps are in god mode and the Pens were world killers when half the roster wasn't dead

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

And the Devils and to a lesser extent the Canes are butt. How does that make the Flyers anything other than bad?

Philly is basically about 60% complete on a major retooling. Hextall's job was first to do what he could to shed all the poo poo contracts that Holmgren gave him, then build the team back up from the prospect pool, which Homer largely ignored and left to die. There's promise there already in guys like Ghost Bear and Konecny, but it's still going to need another couple years to get them to where they want to be.

E: I mean this year sucked, yeah, there's no denying that, but the long game here seems to be looking pretty good. They knew this and last year were largely write-offs, even if they didn't publicly say it. Hextall stocked draft picks like crazy and is finally freeing up cap space, which was completely unheard of under Holmgren.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 14, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MDZ isn't the worst when he's healthy. He can move play pretty well and jumps up in the rush offensively. He definitely needs a more stay-at-home-minded partner though

Someone should be able to put him to good use next year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anthony Stolarz is confirmed out for the AHL playoffs after he got hurt Wednesday. Alex Lyon takes over and will be backed up by Carter Hart.

BSH posted:

Hart signed an entry-level contract with the Flyers back in October, so there are no contract hoops for him to jump through to join the Phantoms and this won’t affect his slide rule status with the Flyers (his entry-level contract will not begin this year, in other words). Prior to his joining the Phantoms, Reading Royals goalie Martin Ouellette had been backing up Lyon with the Phantoms (he’d just been called up yesterday), so it’s likely that he’ll be heading back to Reading in short order as they continue their own playoff run.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBC's ratings hit all time lows across the regular season, so get ready for literally every game next year to be chicago vs. pittsburgh

quote:

]The outdoor games ratings bump was a bust this season. The Centennial Classic didn’t draw Winter Classic ratings on Jan. 1, and the Winter Classic hit a new low on Jan. 2 for NBC.

I'd like to think this means we'll finally have less of these but lol that's not happening

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spectacular piece on deadspin that lays blame for the Red Wings' malaise directly at the feet of Ken Holland

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thufir posted:

That anonymously quoted dude has to be AsinHowe, right?

That'd be hilarious, but hell it's not as if the Wings' problems aren't clear as day to pretty much everyone, and I'm sure everybody in that organization under Holland knows it as well.

poo poo, a concession stand worker could tell you what's wrong with them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo this is an awesome find, boxc

E: godddd i miss those bowling ball Jofa helmets like Foligno had

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 18, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HA! That's awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's not hard to poo poo on all 4 of detroit's teams when all 4 are a mess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If Yzerman took over the wings a few years ago instead of Holland standing firm and refusing to give up the position, they sure as hell wouldn't be back to dynasty levels but they'd at least be a whole lot fuckin' better off than they are right now. Even if the streak would still be dead (likely), they'd at least have a far clearer path forward than they do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah someone can absolutely still get good use out of Mason. He was great for us when he was the clear cut #1. Then we went to the platoon system and oh god no :gonk:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh drat, I didn't know Murray was on the chopping block too :stare:

E: where the hell does that leave Buffalo at this point?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hey jackets :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that thread title

:discourse:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Exactly one blackhawk player (toews) had as many points as Pekka Rinne

:laffo:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Friendly reminder that Jonathan Toews will make $10.5 million against the cap for the next 6 seasons.

Hey, who are you to insult the only blackhawk that managed to get as many points as offensive juggernaut Pekka Rinne? :colbert:

E: dang

NHL posted:

The Blackhawks are the third team in NHL history to be swept in the first round of the playoffs after having the best record in their conference during the regular season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The 1981 Montreal Canadiens, by the Edmonton Oilers in a best-of-5 preliminary round; and the 1993 Blackhawks, by the St. Louis Blues in the division semifinals, are the others.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 21, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yes because the NHL puts a ton of stock into the literal one-man beat following the team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Philly signed Connor Bunnaman to an ELC and he's headed back to the Kitchener Rangers this upcoming year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How :psyduck:

I know that doesn't make range of motion impossible or anything, but holy poo poo

• Locked thread