Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think Wideman has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the suit but he does have enough to present a "my head was scrambled eggs" defense.

But he still won't win, he skated just fine for 60 feet, then blacked out and hit a ref? Yeah not gonna cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all are dickheads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that the $10 million a year contracts are for services rendered more than for continued production, but drat it would be nice if Toews and Kane looked like they gave half a poo poo out there.

The well is running dry and spending 27% of the salary cap on players that only occasionally perform like $10 million dollars is not gonna help anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Don't worry, one of them will be a Ranger in 2 years when they really fall off a cliff.

Pro tip: go for Kane.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bowman is REALLY MAD GUYS

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/22/an-angry-stan-bowman-says-changes-coming-to-blackhawks-after-unacceptable-playoff-exit/

quote:

General manager Stan Bowman met with the Chicago media on Saturday and did not paint a rosy picture of the Blackhawks’ postseason performance.

Bowman opened his media session with a blistering assessment of the postseason, using the world “unacceptable” three different times, and calling it a “complete failure” in his one minute and 57 second address.

“I am completely, completely disappointed, it is unacceptable to be where we are today,” said a visibly angry Bowman.

What's he going to do about it?

quote:

So the specifics of how we are going to change things into next year are not really meant for this forum. But I can promise you we need to be better. Joel is our head coach. he will continue to be our head coach. Joel and I are going to work together to make sure this never happens again.

Oh okay, that answers everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Adding a 40 goal scorer doesn't add 40 goals to your team total, it adds whatever the difference is between them and the top line player they're replacing. It's the whole limited ice time -> diminishing returns thing.

Hmm so the lesson here is only sign players that can skate 60 minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canadian hockey fans are just the real world hfboards. None of them deserve happiness until they fix their attitude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SAS is fine, just being bewildered by elite players being run off teams for stupid bullshit reasons. Like having some personality or brown skin or not single handedly carrying their team to a cup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ummagumma posted:

Mark Lazerus is reporting that the Blackhawks have fired assistant coach Mike Kitchen, who was in charge of the defense and penalty kill this season, I believe.

I'm actually rather stunned by this - Kitchen is a close personal friend of Q and that was pretty much the only reason he was on the staff. I figured he was untouchable.

I guess producing mediocre defensive numbers when you got names like Seabrook, Keith, and Hjallmarsson on the roster might be enough to veto the friend card.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Claims that Kitchen's firing were a surprise to Q:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blackhawks-coach-joel-quenneville-upset-assistants-firing-report-221533261.html

quote:

Multiple league sources told the Tribune the decision to fire Kitchen did not originate with Quenneville and that Quenneville was upset and surprised by the move. Kitchen’s firing is likely to re-ignite conflict between Quenneville and Bowman and the rest of the front office, conflict over coaching and personnel that existed before the Hawks won Cups in 2013 and 2015, two championships that helped maintain peace in the organization.

Sources said Bowman likely fired Kitchen to re-assert authority over personnel in the Hawks organization and send everyone a message, including Quenneville, going into next season. Bowman said Saturday Quenneville, who has a contract through the 2019-20 season, would return as coach.

Bowman’s decision to fire Kitchen was also likely a move in self-preservation to pacify a demand for change coming from the upper reaches of the Hawks organization, such as President John McDonough.

DRAMA!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is just filler until he starts messing with the roster anyways. That's when things get interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Toews is such a powerful captain he has +10 to his effective age when it comes to leadership, which plants him solidly in the veteran leadership category.

One could argue that because of Toews they actually need less leadership and a little more cannon fodder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now post the recapture penalties for Hossa.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL will someday learn that if you leave a loophole in anything it'll get exploited.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't disagree with any of his points. I approve of a system where games don't count unless the Blackhawks win.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"hmm, instead of getting a tarp printed with the canucks logo to hang behind team reps during interviews, how about we buy a bunch of 45 inch televisions and do the same thing as a wallpaper? this will surely tell the world how eco friendly we are."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So am I the only one that finds it hilarious this ad started showing up only after the Blackhawks were eliminated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1ElUAI9dA

Curious about the logo usage too.. they got rights to both the Blackhawks and Blues logo, I guess because Gatorade has a deal with the NHL?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sucks to see him go but hopefully he does well somewhere, as long as Crawford doesn't turn into a pumpkin he'd never get serious ice time.

They never would have been able to sign him under the cap anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Kruger tops the list, yes. I think the hawks can't afford him under the cap anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How does that happen with a hard cap?

Because rookies want to be on teams that win.

Look at what the Blackhawks are doing.. they dangle the cup wins in front of some young hotshot, hand him a budget contract and get a couple years of play before they get a "real" contract and get shipped out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canucks are taking the throne of the Oilers of the past 7 years so have fun with that. Eventually everyone will be mad about you hoovering up first picks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/leahysean/status/859508026860081152

:downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parents that insist on trying to give their child a completely unique name on a planet with 7.5 billion people deserve endless ridicule.

Especially when their grand plan is nothing more than adding vowels to make the spelling different without actually changing the pronunciation. Congratufuckinglations on condemning your crotch fruit to spell out their name to every single person they meet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like this idea of playoff do-overs. I bet team owners would be into it too, think of all the extra ticket sales they could make!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

So a couple of years ago I met a guy who was a professional skating...instructor, or something. He said then that McDavid was already one of the best skaters he'd ever seen, and this was when he was still in juniors. I assumed he was exaggerating and playing into McDavid draft hype, etc.

Now...I think he was right, and McDavid is probably the best all around hockey skater I've ever seen.

I'd love if one of these dudes would put a detailed analysis online somewhere. Not that anyone could really make use of the information, but getting the insight from people who have actually skated or trained at NHL levels would be a fun read.

"He's the best" or "his edgework is insane" doesn't really inform much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teams are obligated to make players available to the media and players are obligated to not embarrass their team. There is literally nothing else they can say but "if we work hard we can do this" type bullshit.

Don't blame the players, blame the media machine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

What the Caps need is a loving team psychologist or something. They need therapy.

Yeah, Ovi's only 31 and has a ton of grey hair. Dude aged more in 8 years than Obama did.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Milwaukee not getting a team makes me sad and has resulted in me hating Chicago sports even more than I did already.

Not giving Wisconsin a team is a giant travesty.

The Packers/Bears rivalry (when the Bears aren't busy being a poo poo team) is one of the best things in the midwest because the Wisconsin/Illinois rivalry is hilarious and the NHL should do something to cash in on that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

The thing is, the Hawks are the only Chicago team without a Wisconsin rival. They do not want to lose that,which is probably out never happened.

Meaning they would likely lose fans to a milwaukee team

With upper bowl tickets selling for $200 I think Chicago can afford to lose some fans. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Patrick Kane in the news again, but this time for something positive? Too little too late, but it is a nice change!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasn't there a Verizon commercial several years ago where someone scored on a deflection off the beard?

Maybe that's Burns' life manual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can we get Australian Mook back in here just so we can make this his avatar?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft no one uses IRC anymore, it's either slack or discord.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which makes no sense to me.. don't clothing manufacturers make money by selling stuff their customers want? If a team asks for 15 different jersey styles, why the hell do they get to say no? Just send a quote for the cost and let the customer decide if they want to pony up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you never say anything into a microphone, ever. :v:

The value of the quote is a lot different once you know it was made while Scott was still in the league, and not post retirement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Every single decision the NHL makes is intended to make it's current owners richer in the immediate short term.

Why would they consider the long term? They're all basically fossils right now and having a plan beyond 2 years carries a significant chance they'll never see the end of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think Chicago would give a poo poo if there was a team in Milwaukee. We've already got two AHL teams, one of which I'm pretty sure is the only AHL team that actually sees a profit, and our NHL team is in bandwagon mode with a huge sellout streak and nosebleed seats are north of $100.

There's also already decent comparisons in the area.. we got two baseball teams and they both benefit from a rivalry. Plus the whole Bears/Packers thing.

Maybe under dollar bill there would have been grumbling. But now? They'd probably look at the Bears/Packers rivalry and see dollar signs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Well, I think part of the problem for Chicago back then, especially under the old ownership, was that they felt entitled to the Milwaukee market. 90 minute drive isn't a bad deal for NHL games. Hell, we've done it to go see Badger games.

Pfft, 90 minutes. You're looking at 2 hours or more once you factor in traffic. :v:

Getting to the united center is a loving chore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good news is that Pronger is a UFA next summer, be interesting to see if any teams scoop him up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can Bryz replace Don Cherry when he dies?

• Locked thread