Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aurora posted:

The last time they got more than 100 points the loser point didn't exist

Don't bring me down, man.

They're 46-26-9 this year(with a game left), 86-87 they were 50-24-6. That's also the last time they had more than 45 wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

They had what, 8 top 3 draft picks in the last 10 years? Would this really qualify as immediately?

This is why i laugh at Leafs fans saying "so what, it's just the rebuild year"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fits posted:

the last time the detroit red wings missed the playoffs, the edmonton oilers won the stanley cup

The last time they beat the Flames 4 times in a row, the edmonton oilers won the stanley cup.

What worries me is the only teams currently in the playoffs that have ever knocked them out are the Flames and Blackhawks, both of which they'll probably have to go through.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

the last time the oilers were in the playoffs, their red-hot goaltender was obliterated by marc-andre bergeron and they lost the cup

That's different, they fought up from 8th.

This year they could go in as #1 in the division, the last time they were #1 in the division, they won the stanley cup.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a shame Nashville couldn't beat winnipeg to kick the flames over to the other half of the bracket so the oilers and flames could meet in the western finals.

Once again, the jets disappoint hockey fans.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

It's been a while since I've looked this up, but I seem to remember that the Oilers were legit one of the best teams in the league, and it had just been masked by running a Conklin/Markkanen pairing for most of the season. They were definitely a much better team than Carolina.

Then they traded Pronger and, well, the same thing happened that happens to every team that loses Pronger.

They were pretty middle of the road. If you look at all their top scorers were Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, Torres, and Pisani all peaked in that regular season, none of them ever matched their point total from that season, even the ones who escaped the vortex that was the oilers management of that time.

Even roloson barely had a winning record in the regular season.

e: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...s,goals,assists

Their top scorer was 34th in the league, behind 4 red wings, 3 thrashers, 3 senators, 3 sharks.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 9, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, they weren't completely terrible, but nobody on the team would be on the first line of the real contenders. It was a group of average players who clicked for a season, 2 goalies who suddenly got hot, and 1 who bet on the Hurricanes.

Use that same tool for GAA, Roloson is 18th at 2.73, Conklin 22nd at 2.8, and Markkanen 40th at 3.13. Get into the playoffs and suddenly Roloson goes 2.33 at .929, gets injured, and Markkanen goes 2.16 at .905. Conklin's stats accurately reflect his play, at 0.667 and 10.71 GAA.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wippersnapper posted:

Everyone seems to be forgetting that today Vancouver will light up the Oilers for a dominating win, destroying Edmonton's confidence and probably injuring McDavid's feelings so they get blown out in a 4 game series. More importantly Vancouver will go from 29th to 27th and lose the lottery to draft 7th, and trade said draft pick for some under performing 23 year old high draft pick or maybe just tough guy and strong playoff performer Michael Ferland.

Who is president in your timeline and how are you posting in ours?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

To my mind a reasonable GAA combined with a piss awful save percentage is indicative of a team that's pretty darn good at limiting shots against.

But the difference between Conklin's and Roloson's save percentages and GAA suggests either there was a different team in front of them, or they were in very different games.

At the end of the day, for the team, GAA matters more than save percentage, and is a better indicator of team performance, where Sv% is a btter indicator of goalie performance.

Talbot has a poor GAA, but every once in a while the team completely leaves him out to dry.

Back to the original point, in 05-06, Carolina was 2nd in the east, Edmonton only beat out the Canucks for 8th by 3 points because the Canucks only won 2 of their last 8 where the oilers were able to win 4 of their last 8. They only had 41 wins to the Canucks and Kings 42, but made the playoffs thanks to 13 overtime losses.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

St. Dogbert posted:

Good news: 2016-17 will be the highest-scoring regular season since 2010-11.

Bad news: The intervening years had totals of somewhere between 5.3 and 5.35 goals per game, and this year will finish somewhere around 5.45.

Unless my calculations went haywire somewhere, there are 6650 scored right now, 6565 scored last year. 9585* more goals.

Last year, the oilers and leafs had 391 goals combined, this year they have 486 combined. A difference of?

95 goals.

On behalf of the Oilers and Maple Leafs, you're welcome, hockey.

*my calculator is now informing me that i can't do math in my head

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 9, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's two.

two goals up, 2 D down. It doesn't take a genius to predict toronto is going to finish this game down by 4 without any defensemen

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jesus loving christ, oilers, what are you doing to Iiro Pakarinen

Where'd his smile go?
Where'd his hair go?
Where'd his color go?

He's only 25 years old :negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

his hairline is already disturbingly thin in the first picture so he was always going to getzlaf

What bothers me is that if he had a ring that could turn him invisible this whole time, why hasn't he used it to help the oilers?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

toe knee hand posted:

most of those really suck honestly, no historical or regional rivalries.

The kings cost us Battle of Alberta, battle of California. The Leafs cost us the battle of Ontario.

Except for the Flames, none of the Oilers rivals made the playoffs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Jesus Christ he's fast

Toronto apparently went 14-5-1 to make playoffs so maybe they won't get completely destroyed by Washington?

I hope they continue to inject a sense of humour into the league

Weird coincidence, The Oilers also went 14-5-1 over their last 20, the difference being they clinched in march.

The Golden Knights cant lose their sense of humor, it's all they have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Relegate the avalanche.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's what you get for challenging a goal for offside in a meaningless game 82.

That's what you get for ruining Iginla.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think this plan will work.

It worked with Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic and wayne gretzky.

Superstar players make the best coaches.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Where does Lombardi end up?

He's a okay manager who won a stanley cup, so a canadian team of some sort, maybe winnipeg?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Vancouver if the owner has any goddamned sense at all

So not Vancouver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What's that have to do with Blake being the GM?

I'm bad at reading :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

grack posted:

Iginla tied for the team lead in goal scoring in LA post trade deadline.

Yeah, but he was traded to have a shot at the playoffs.

He had 6 goals in 19 games, if The rumors of him going to the oilers came true, he would have been 6th on the oilers with those numbers. 8th with his 9 points.

JawKnee posted:

BENNING HIRE THE RIGHT SUTTER THIS TIME

Ron?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

I wish they had picks.

2015: no pick because of Lucic trade
2016: no pick becaeuse of Sekera trade (yea, thats right, loving Andrej Sekera)

Those are both good players who helped carry their team into the playoffs. Well worth it!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I would take a century of Canucks suckitude for a single cup.

You're in luck!

only 28 years to go!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

grack posted:

Every team in the NHL should switch to some sort of Wolf Howling at the Moon logo.

At least make it their respective animals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I still feel you need some veteran leadership to show the young kids how to play. When your veteran leader is AMac I wonder if that does more harm than good...

The oilers tried this with all their draft picks, but the best veteran they could come up with was Andrew Ference.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

And the Devils and to a lesser extent the Canes are butt. How does that make the Flyers anything other than bad?

Everything is relative. They're not the 2013-2014 avs, but they're not the 2016-2017 avs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

That article mentioned the NBA ratings were down too.

It's so easy to just stream games now whether legally or not. Ratings will probably continue to suck across the board for anything not the NFL.

Yeah, if it's one sport stopping someone from cutting cable, they'll stream it or find somewhere to watch a game here and there.

Younger generations are realizing cable TV is garbage. You pay $100 for a thing that's 35% unskippable ads to watch a show when they say you have to watch it, when 80% of it is free online the next day? naw. hell naw.

pro sports are probably the only thing keeping a lot of people connected, and they can't keep everybody.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Well, better hope a cable company never obtains exclusive rights to the content you want. Though I'm sure there's some kind of commission in place that would prevent such a prevented marriage or interest.

I'm in canada, that's already a thing. The big 4 already own all the stations that license the american content.

Rogers(think rogers center, rogers arena, rogers place) owns sportsnet who has all the NHL games. If you have a cable sub, you can log in with it to watch the games online for free, if you don't, it's $25 a month for streaming of their channel.

It's not bad, you get every single hockey game for your local market, and maybe 50% of the out of market games aren't blacked out, and every single blue jays game. It's $18 to add all those channels to your existing cable package, so if hockey or blue jays baseball are all you care about you can pay $100 less on the cable bill and $7 more for the sportsnet thing.

TSN, owned by Bell(think bell center), still forces you to have a cable sub, but getting somebody with a cable sub to set up an e-mail for you on their account is good enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Don't you have some sort of government agency in place to prevent such monopolistic practices? I assume they don't routinely put execs from BCE and Roger's on their board. That would be too crazy.

:(

JoelJoel posted:

I see. You must have really great cell service and affordable voice and data plans.

6 gigs of data is only $80 a month now, and they no longer charge for caller ID!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

I was gunna say; odd place to start rooting on the Leafs from.

It makes it funnier when that can be quoted later in the thread.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The ref was backing up when the contact occured. By car insurance rules, he's therefore 100% at fault.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also, pretty much everybody at a flames game leaves with shock, anxiety, and depression.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Better idea, oil up!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gio posted:

i think even if its hotbrains, letting a guy off the hook would set a really awful precedent

He wasn't let off the hook, he was suspended for 20 games and fined 500 grand. This is the ref tryin to get paaaaaaaaaaaaaid. The lawsuit failing isn't going to tell players it's okay to hit the refs, it succeeding based on anything other than wideman's intent is going to tell players that they can be sued for any interaction with the refs. Mouthing off Tim Peel could cause emotional distress deserving of financial reparations.

I'm not defending what he did, but both him and the ref decided to stand in a dangerous place doing a dangerous thing. That's why they're both wearing helmets. He should be able to expect that he's not going to be checked by a bonehead, but should also understand that he has taken a job where it's possible it'll happen.

Also, If his brain was scrambled and the zebra looked like a penguin, it's not like he went out and got drunk before doing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DJExile posted:

hey jackets :(

If you'll forgive me for re-using the same joke 2 days in a row. It seems tonight the blue jackets will be a little more blue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Feels like home. :smith:

:effort:

Remember the streak, weren't those happy days?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I'd rather chug pints of phlegmy dog vomit than cheer for the Oilers.

oh, so flames then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hifi posted:

could chicago have kept teuvo and bickell?

chicago didn't really make any deadline deals either. people poo poo on the vermette trade a while back because he sucked in the regular season but he put up 7 points in 20 goals, which is looking better than the hanzal deal right now.

it's been thrown around but it really does feel like we're in a new age of hockey now that chicago lost and LA didn't make it

The mumps almost got rid of the penguins for us, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

At this point I really want to see a new team on the Cup.

Or an American team that would tell Trump to stuff it, come what may. Either way.

But you know, now that Not the Blackhawks is guaranteed, I have no real concerns. I can just enjoy playoff hockey.

Maybe as long as trump is in office, we keep american teams off the cup? :shrug:

Trudeau makes for a better photo op.

• Locked thread