Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just read that Edmonton drafted Taylor Chorney (who is form my hometown, bless his heart) over Kris LeTang back in 2005.

Yikes. No wonder they took so long to get their poo poo together with stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is literally the first year of my life the Red Wings will not have made the playoffs.
Not that I've been a hockey fan that long (or could have been as a baby)
As fun as it is to poo poo on the Wings because gently caress any team that isn't mine that is pretty profound.

I turn 34 on April 26th and they've only missed the playoffs three times since then. Oh and their solution to missing in '82? Drafting Steve fuckin' Yzerman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Every team passed on Letang twice.

Yes but some of them got real tangible value instead of a 7th defenceman.

Calgary was uh, not one of those teams. They drafted a guy who played 17 games in the 1st (Matt Pelech), didn't have a 2nd rounder, and drafted two guys who never played in the 3rd.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I definitely prefer Flames v. Oilers to playing the Ducks. I mean we'll probably break that road losing streak eventually but I feel like Calgary needs one more significantly talented player to be able to beat them with any regularity in general. We've only beat them once this season, and we'll probably lose tomorrow, since it's on the road.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Some team like Winnipeg is gonna win the lottery despite having a 4% chance of doing so.

I'd be okay with that. If my team can't have the magic ticket (and they can't), I want the lottery to be interesting at least.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
ThinkTank is the best NHL poster. May he be blessed with a new GM.

So is Tony Stolarz playing well just small sample size or is he putting it together?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which is considered the tougher league historically to score in, the WHL or OHL?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

That's not even the worst trade involving the Habs shipping out a current top defenseman.

Waiting for them to send Jeff Petry to Calgary for Emile Porier or some poo poo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quote:

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled goaltender Jon Gillies on an emergency basis from their AHL affiliate, the Stockton Heat.

Gillies, Calgary's third round pick (75th overall) in the 2012 NHL Draft, has played 38 games for Stockton in his second pro season and has a 17-14-1 record with a shutout, a 2.95 GAA and a .909 SV%. The 23-year-old leads the Heat goalies in games played and wins as the club is currently tied for a playoff spot in the AHL.

I was hoping his numbers'd be better by now but hopefully he steps it up in the NHL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Carver posted:

In regards to Riley Sheahan, I really don't understand how you can play an entire NHL season as a forward and not score a goal

Really. Even Jordin Tootoo has 2(too) this year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

It really hurt him to miss most of last year. Tough to adjust to being a pro and having to deal with that at the same time. I think he's still one of the top goalie prospects in the league.

At least as a goalie nobody expects him to be an impact guy right away. If he were a forward this would pretty much be his career (with Calgary) on the line at this point.

True. Goalies are sorta like lefthanded pitchers in the NHl, they get a lot of chances because it's hard to find one that can deliver consistently. I mean, if you look at Hasek's #'s in Chicago, they don't suggest "future GOAT", yet he is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Those of you whose teams are in the race for Patrick (I assume CS still has him#1): are you actually excited for him? Or is it more of a "Yeah I guess he's pretty good" kind of thing?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

Patrick and Hischier are the two prospects that are decent but neither are really conventional 'top 2' talents. Wouldn't be surprised to see both back in junior next year. Apparently after that it's pretty much a jumble of average prospects down to about ~10 and then another drop off. It's a really bad draft year

If that's true I bet this is one of those years where a 3rd rounder on nobody's radar ends up being one of the most productive players

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gio posted:

i was reviewing the past few years 5th-10th pick to see what the wings will likely get and well looks pretty bad!

The Flames picked 9th-10th a lot in the 90's and it rarely worked out. My condolences.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Looking at Sinsalo's stats, dude would make like 7m/yr if he put some of those years up now

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

"We might have to let Dennis Wideman play at some point"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Oh, for sure. That's why I used the "jaws of victory" metaphor. They basically have to go 0-2 and then one of NYI or TB have to win out. It's not super likely, but the schedules and the cosmic irony are not in favor of Toronto.

They also have to go 0-2 in regulation. They lose in OT or Shootout, they're in, I believe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Iodised QQ posted:

In the hypothetical of the isles winning their last 2 and the leafs picking up one point, the isles get in over them. They'd have one more ROW than the leafs in that scenario.

If the isles lose a game and it's just Tampa vs Toronto for the last spot then Toronto picking up one point in any way is enough though.

Ah okay, I didn't know they had the tiebreaker.

I do not like Calgary's chances in 1st round. Considering some of the obstacles in their way though (Elliott playing like poo poo, Gaudreau missing like 10 games at a crucial time), I'm glad we made the playoffs, but losing back to back to the Ducks pretty much murdered our chances since it means the Ducks are now our opponents. Is it weird I'd rather play Chicago or Edmonton? I mean ideally, we'd be playing Minnesota so I could see the Flames live for the first time ever, but it was not to be. However, in interest of not being a broken record, here's some things that were good about this season:

-Backlund stepping up huge and earning himself a possible Selke nomination
-We found a cost effective replacement for Wideman who doesn't suck.
-Speaking of suck, Wideman's deal runs out this year. Halle-loving-lujah.
-Brian Elliott getting his poo poo together
-Gio played a full year! Hot drat!
-Tkachuk is ready now. We could not afford for him to bust, imo, with the way Bennett has stagnated. Hopefully he keeps developing.
-There were times this season where Dougie Hamilton was downright dominant. I'm glad we didn't trade him when things looked bad.
-Obviously a small sample size, but Curtis Lazar has more pts in 3 games (2) then he did in his previous 33 with Ottawa (1). I'll heartifly chuckle if goes all Leon Draisaitl for us.
-Mike Ferland really impressed me in the 2nd half of the season
-21 Million in cap space for the off-season.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Wait was that the Flames?

Some team out there has never lost in the first round

The Flames got eliminated in the 1st round multiple times in the 90's, including the year after they won the Cup.

Also while I don't doubt Edmonton's going to win the series, pretty sure Calgary gets at least a win because of Edmonton's loving shithouse D. It's better than it was a few years ago, still pretty bad though.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 10, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I originally thought Blake had been hired purely because he was a star for the Kings, the fact that he has actual experience is a good thing for the Kings. He might still suck, but maybe he can sucker somebody into taking Brown off their hands.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Part of me wonders if Lombardi was fired as soon as upper management saw his protected player list for the expansion draft and the players he's super "loyal" to were on it.

I mean, they already had justification to be rid of him, but the fact that he might have protected Brown and Martinez could have well been the nail in the coffin. Unless either side publicly talks about it, we can only assume.

Was Lombardi in charge during the Voynov situation?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about Joel Oettinger, since there isn't a lot of info on the #1 euro goalie?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

It's Jake Oettinger but yeah basically the same height, weight and statline as Thatcher Demko at the same age. Freshemen don't usually start for their college team, so he's a good prospect. Like Demko he'll likely play out his career at college and then spend a few years in the AHL. Time will tell if he's cut out to be an NHL starter, but odds are he's at least a pro goaltender and he's trending towards being a good one. Any team in need of a future start would be well served spending a late 1st or early 2nd on him.

Intriguing since I didn't see him in the 1st in any mocks. What do you make of this?

https://thecanuckway.com/2017/01/28/canucks-news-midterm-player-grades-scouting-whl/

Blogger thinks the Canucks should trade down if their pick reflects their record rather than getting #1 or 2

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I feel like that's win-win. Because it gives Ghost time to play, as well as making it show and prove time for the kids. If it doesn't work, you have more cap space ($24M in 18-19), plus the draft is supposed to be super deep next year.

Now he just needs to fire Hakstol and hire a decent coach (I am unsure who that'd be, I don't think Sutter'd be a good fit them).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm curious to see who ends up grabbing Jake Oettinger. Maybe Ottawa or Phoenix with that late 1st they own from the Hanzal trade. Both NY teams'd make sense but #15 might be reaching for him? I dunno. This draft is kind of shallow from the impressions I'm getting so maybe reaching isn't a bad idea.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Del Zotto strikes me as a 4th or 5th defenceman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/854189212920315905

As somebody who thinks Krueger is overrated as a coach, I would very much love this. :getin:

OTOH, he'd have to be an upgrade to Desjardins, no?

Not that he'd have much to work with, the Sedins refusing to accept a trade would handcuff them even if their GM was competent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thufir posted:

That anonymously quoted dude has to be AsinHowe, right?

I mean, if it were, he's not wrong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Man I'm not even mad the Flames are done. Just relieved.

What a stupid series.

I thought this might happen. Hopefully, we learn the correct lessons from it and nobody with authority panics. I don't think we should re-sign Elliott, though. He slipped into the same bad habits that plagued him at the beginning of the season.

That said, not sure what to do about our goaltending situation. The UFA crop is mostly butts, maybe Steve Mason or Scott Darling? I'm sure both would love to be the unquestioned #1 starter, especially after what that article said the other day about what Neuvirth and Mason thought about platooning. I'd like Chad back though, he helped Calgary back to the playoffs by playing well when Elliott struggled during the season. And it gives Gillies more time to adjust to being a pro goaltender.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 20, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How would Canucks fans feel about Ted Nolan?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

I think there is a case to be made for him not doing anything purposefully at all, especially if he didn't see him until the last second (which I can believe, given that his head was just slammed into the boards like 5-10 seconds earlier). I really think he instinctively raised his arms at the last second to protect himself rather than trying to make contact with him and the video really makes it hard for me to believe the alternative that he set out to deck the guy.

I don't believe for a second it was accidental. He skated with purpose right at Henderson, the only way I'd believe it was an accident is if somebody can prove to me that the hit Wideman took hosed him up so bad that he thought the ref was the guy who hit him. He pauses right before he decks him, too. I'm a Flames fan and I have no need or desire to defend Wideman whatsoever.

For those unfamiliar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4PoDrqv-E

Does that look accidental to you?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 21, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As if the Flames needed another reason to not re-sign Wideman. Lord.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ben-bishop-sits-tops-calgary-flames-off-season-list/

sigh

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That spill Staal took was gross.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Powershift posted:

And even Brossoint is doing drat good when there's a team in front of him.

Talbot's problem is that if he gets scored on by a garbage goal, he completely collapses and lets everything in.

Ben Bishop is a UFA. Montreal should sign him and carry on the proud tradition of LA trading away a good player for someone on an expiring contract who then leaves immediately for a better team. Then trade Price for some functional defense.

Apparently Calgary is hot to trot for Bishop, which I am not pleased about

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/856279551248412672

Oscar Klefbom, who was a top pairing D and only took 3 penalties all season, somehow is not even a finalist. PHWA :argh:

Brian Campbell is the only D to win it in the last 53 years, the last guy before him was Red Kelly. Unoffically, it's basically an award for the most gentlemanly forward. Not unlike how the Norris has sorta become the Art Ross for defencemen.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 24, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Powershift posted:

And everything is relative, sharing the ice with Tkachuk every game, Johnny Hockey looks like a saint by comparison.

In fairness, 4 PIM in 72 games while averaging .82 PPG is pretty drat good regardless. Johnny's gonna make some other team real happy one day. And yes I know he's locked up long-term but if Calgary's lovely plan for the off-season is any indication he's gonna lose patience eventually.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't be pleased. Bishop is a good goalie, he had an off year this season but he still was better than either of Elliott or Johnson. Aside from Matt Murray being force traded, he's arguably the best goalie option out there.

Personally, I'm hoping Fleury gets traded to Calgary for maximum hilarity every game.

But Gaudreau also dives. That's not very gentlemanly. :colbert:

He's 30 and goalies almost always regress afterwards (unless your name is Hasek, Plante, or Roy, then it's showtime). I'm not convinced it's an aberration. And being better than Elliott's Jekyll n' Hyde act isn't saying much, my concern is they'll overpay for him with the significant cap space they have ($21M) and ignore other needs, like shoring up their D. Gio, as much as I love the guy, is starting to show his age and Brodie and Hamilton can't play 60 minutes. I don't expect them to sign Shattenkirk but it's something that needs to be addressed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Andersen's a solid goaltender tho

Typo, obviously defense, dummy

In any case, what rfa d-men are around in the off-season? Is anyone good likely to be exposed to LV?

https://capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/points/all/defense/rfa

My boss is a Leafs fan and thinks they should either go after OEL, or try and make an offer to Minnesota for Dumba or Bordin since one will likely have to be exposed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mike Stone looked like he was still pretty decent in Calgary, so if you need somebody to get the type of minutes you give to your #4-#6, you could probably do a lot worse. The difference between Calgary playing him and playing Wideman was night and day, and I'd actually like them to keep him. I suspect not being in Phoenix, arguably bottom 3 in terms of "Teams that are easy to play for and keep a cool head while staying productive" didn't help his recovery process. I bet if you took DuClair and Domi and put them on like, Ottawa, they'd start reminding people how talented they are.

Boy, it is really weird to consider a hockey player named Domi talented.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Calgary have anything like that? Like are we paying Wideman until 2019 or something even though his deal expires in like 2 months?

• Locked thread