Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is literally the first year of my life the Red Wings will not have made the playoffs.
Not that I've been a hockey fan that long (or could have been as a baby)
As fun as it is to poo poo on the Wings because gently caress any team that isn't mine that is pretty profound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Suddenly realized what team he's playing for.

Maybe wait to make sure he's not had an aneurysm or some poo poo before making light of a man collapsing on live television

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, at least Jack Johnson Sportgame worked tonight:

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/848690491529076736

:laffo: Tom Wilson getting schooled by Jack Johnson

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

League conspiracy to protect Crosby's legacy against these new young upstarts.

But seriously gently caress Bettman, I hope they all go anyway because what's he gonna do about it.

And I strongly suspect this was pushed hardest by Melnyk and Jacobs so an extra "mega-gently caress-you" to those old bastards, too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Your 2018 team Canada captain, Tom Kostopoulos

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Ugh, I went back to the 94 tournament to see who the leading scorers were and man this is gonna suck:

code:
	Name				Games	Goals	Assists	Points
1	Slovakia Zigmund Palffy		8	3	7	10
2	Slovakia Miroslav Satan		8	9	0	9
3	Slovakia Peter Stastny		8	5	4	9
4	Sweden Haakan Loob		8	4	5	9
5	Italy Gates Orlando		7	3	6	9
6	Sweden Patrik Juhlin		8	7	1	8
7	Czech Republic Jiri Kucera	8	6	2	8
8	Austria Marty Dallman		7	4	4	8
9	Finland Mika Nieminen		8	3	5	8
10	United States David Sacco	8	3	5	8
11	Sweden Peter Forsberg		8	2	6	8
I'm legitimately bummed. The 98 Olympics are one of my earliest solid hockey memories. They really helped solidify my love for the sport (Marc Crawford's bonehead decisions aside). I just can't get excited for a glorified World Championships.

Maybe they can ask Palffy to play then. He can probably still put up the points

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Would not at all be surprised if this spurs a bunch of players to "retire" to the KHL this offseason.
gently caress you very much, Bettman et al.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Goddamn that is terrible news. I guess we can't win the cup every year though (and it's not entirely off the table but eh, Letang is the 3rd pillar of our offense and I just don't think Schultz/Daley/Maatta can fill that void when the games get close)
Let's see Crosby get the Richard/Hart at least

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boy do I hope Canada/the NHL cares more about sexual assault/rape than Americans appear to because that is loving disgusting

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Leafs will win the cup - however Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all suffer career-ending injuries along the way.

Somewhere, the last finger curls up on a withered paw.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone's getting a really good coach this offseason. And Sutter's getting paiiiiiiid.

Seriously put him on a team with offensive talent. I want to see what he can do when Dustin loving Brown isn't setting his tempo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Benning, pick up the phone now!!!

It's nice to dream but...

Come oooon.
It would have to be Babcock money to get a guy with his record to sign up for pushing that boulder up the hill every year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Suspicious posted:

I have this odd aversion of Sutter because every time the camera's on him, it looks like he's sucking his face in as hard as he can.
"Don't you get it LA, it's over! You lose! Now if you'll excuse me, all this talk has made me hungry."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

He's a okay manager who won a stanley cup, so a canadian team of some sort, maybe winnipeg?

Vancouver if the owner has any goddamned sense at all

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jim Rutherford was only supposed to be around for like a year at the start so maybe he's ready to step down sometime soon? Maybe that's all been long-forgotten now that he's a success again and everyone kinda loves him save for the fact that he indirectly murdered Despres

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

I thought he was keeping the seat warm for the AGM over there in Pitt? Is he still around?

Ah right, I suppose Botterill is still kicking around. I kinda figured he bolted a ways back since they never really write about him as much as they did in the Shero days.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

So the Minnesota Timberwolves have a new logo

https://twitter.com/conradburry/status/851862845427986434

and while it looks like some SBNation team page logo, boy that also looks suuuuuuper fuckin' familiar...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fits posted:

stars hired hitchcock :laffo:

also isles make doug weight official head coach instead of just interm

You really want a coach who will get the most out of Cody Eakin while stifling any offensive creativity from Seguin or Benn

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pens should bring in Amanda Kessel for the preseason next year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If Price gets tossed somewhere it has to end with MAF as a Hab, it just has to.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

We should start taking bets on how many goalies/coaches vancouver is going to have over the next 10 years.

I'm gonna guess 9 lead goalies, 6 head coaches.

I am shocked they didn't end up with Bylsma. Gotta figure he's got at least one more team worth of cup-fueled good will to burn through.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Blackhawks fired Rockford's head coach, Ted Dent.

That man is almost a palindrome.
Tned Dent.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

Travis Green is thrilled to be the next head coach whipping boy of the Vancouver Canucks.

The face of a man who just got demoted to the NHL

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Who's he making GBS threads on here? Filppula? Callahan?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Apparently Bill Guerin is interviewing with them lol

Guerin is such a wonderfully goofy man that I want him to succeed in spite of all the evidence indicating that he should not come within a country mile of any sort of organizational work

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This list really is a who's who of career backups - just the sort of goalie the Flyers love to give giant contracts and expectations to

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if I like KOEN or BODE better. They both look like names Taylor Hall should have.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Guys, you are forgetting that this is Stanley Cup winning goaltender Scott Darling.

You can have 2-time winner MAF for just a bit more. That contract is stupid-bad. 8+million for a Ward/Career-Backup pairing is bad GMing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, I wasn't serious.

No worries - not an indictment of you unless you're Ron Francis. (I was just continuing your joke, didn't mean to come off harsh.)

(Nice av)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Blues lost David Backes, Troy Brouwer (lol), Brian Elliott, and Kevin Shattenkirk, were without Robby Fabbri and still made it to the second round. Next year they should be back that far and probably to the WCF, especially if they can replace Bortuzzo and/or Gunnarsson with one or multiple of Jordan Schmaltz, Jake Walman, and Vince Dunn.

Only thing they need to work on is finding a scoring center, right? Parayko is already a stud and is going to be scary good if he's got another level to him and somehow Pietrangelo is only 27 despite seeming to have been in the league forever so the defense is plenty young.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

That's awesome and long overdue.

Avs and Flames gotta ditch that Reebok poo poo

They're probably the last holdouts for truly lovely jerseys in the league which is a shame because they both have franchise history for great jerseys.
The Avs could even just go with that "C" logo they've using for their alts and have that be a step up and the Flames will never do better than the orange ones.

Also the Caps need to go back to the classics. That weird maroon poo poo they're rocking right now is sad. And Columbus to a degree though I would say they don't really have a good jersey to draw from.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

Fancystats breakdown on Couturier

short version: Coots is spectacular on the PK and does great at 5v5. He really needs to be yanked from the PP because that's just not working. He's not a top line guy but that sure as hell doesn't mean he isn't useful.

He is and always has been a Jordan Staal-lite. That's a fine thing for a player to be but you certainly have to tamp your expectations of that sort of player accordingly.
If nothing else his contract is appropriate and he's likely got a long-rear end career in front of him because players of this ilk tend not to break apart/degrade as quickly.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So he's famous, but at the expense of being associated with the LA Kings. Sounds about right given his family name.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bring back those goofy-rear end wide blue lines they tried during one of the preseasons a few years back.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Well that is a nice comparison contract for Colton Parayko. Parayko's obviously better, but I was worried he'd end up over $6M.

I can see him getting the Seth Jones contract, though Jones was obviously younger I think that's negated by the fact that he's probably a bit better/has a higher ceiling than Parayko at this point. He's not playing #1 minutes so long as Pietrangelo is on the Blues so I don't see him getting much more than that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They already sniped Botterill, it seems only fair they should take Tocchet as part of the exchange. Also I thought Martin has repeatedly said he has no desire to be a head coach again.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Agreed, but he seems like a cool guy by all accounts. Might just be doing them a solid by not making it a huge deal, which is dumb from a financial standpoint I guess, but sentiment can be a powerful thing.

He might also have aspirations to be a part of the organization down the line and he doesn't want to burn bridges right now. Sure he's giving up some cash but he also has a life after hockey to worry about where he could make up the difference if he so chooses.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

I won't try to defend Matta this post season because his performance was indefensible. That said, he's gone through a lot in the past two years. Not just injuries, but surgery to remove malignant tumors as well. Prior to this year, he has actually been pretty good.

I think with an off season of strength training and conditioning you could see him rebound. Not saying it's certain, but I see more potential upside in Maatta than in Hags at roughly the same price. The more I think about it though, the less I'm sure of my own stance.

If the story about him still needing to figure out his thyroid meds is true then I'd be willing to give him a pass. That said I still don't know even if he rebounds to where he was that his style is necessarily the most benefit to our system. I still think you put him in a system a bit more slow and deliberate and you'll be reading story after story about how he miraculously rebounds.
Plus I think you get more out of a trade dealing Maatta than you would Hagelin.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And it's funny that you guys are talking about Nurse who is 21-22 because I feel like Pens fans forget that Maatta is also 22 and he had loving cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

It's not so much that people are underating Josi. I think he's well rated an well regarded now, but now it's a casualty of 'Well actually PK is not a top pairing D' which has people mad at MSM. Anyway, if Nashville goes 4-4-1, it means that you will lose one of Jarnkrok, Sissons, Aberg or Neal. I don't know how Salomaki rates.

Jarnkrok is a tempting piece with that contract but Neal would be a hell of a quality player to get for an expansion team.

• Locked thread