Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He isn't getting 9.7m? What a weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nill, you need defenders. Do something.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hahaha, noiiiice. :10bux: says nmc.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

You guys are nuts.

The caps are a win now team. They have a 2-3 year window. Oshie at 5.75 is amazing during that window. (e: amazing considering Oshie was a UFA.)

Bad contracts can always be moved.

Tru, but he's realistically a 20g 25a guy for those two years then poo poo for ages. I'm sure they could have found someone less expensive to fill the gap and chip in similar numbers.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

I would say that they paid market value.

He hasn't been on pace for 45 points since he joined the league.

Last season was a fluke and, albeit with injuries, he's scored more than 20 3 times. Plus he's gonna get slow and old.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I think he's a 20g guy. More like 30-35a though.

Yeah eventually he'll get slow and old. For the next few years though the caps are getting a bargain on a player who is actually good.

I think this is about philosophy though. I think teams who can afford it should always give old guys extra term if it saves them cap hit (and if the players are worth signing on the shorter deal). His contract in 5 years is irrelevant, because the team 5 years from now will be a different team and those contracts are moveable.

Obviously you don't want to ruin the future with a ton of bad contracts, but planning for 5 years out in pro sports is nuts.

Yeah, fair enough. I still think it's a dumb move because although he is still good I don't think what he brings is particularly unique. Recent cup winners have shown that paying the big stars and banking on your guys for your depth is the easy to go, so in always leary of giving old guys bank.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Chad Sexington posted:

I love Oshie's two-way game so I'm just going to be happy about that deal for how it makes the team look for the next 2-3 years or so and willfully ignore the rest of the term.

I mean, who even knows if I'll be watching hockey anymore in 2025? Maybe I'll be dead.

gently caress it, sign em all forever. Nuclear hellfire could very well take care of all those bad contracts.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Alternatively, following the Dallas blueprint. How'd they finish again?

Right. Guess d matter?.. At least in the reg season or whatever.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Uh, what's an internal move? Handing out more NMCs? Making sure the young guys don't get playing time? making GBS threads on perfectly serviceable players because... ?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just cause trump lost doesn't mean we have to overlook Hilary's flaws.

Oh, right, darkest timeline.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just pick a new team. It's alright and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just a fourth line swap. Usual business. Happens a hundred time a season. Just exchanging marginal players one for one. And a first round pick. NBD.

• Locked thread