Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Why in the gently caress would they protect Matt martin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Horton and Lupul LTIR

I think Lupul is done forever isn't he?

DJExile posted:

Don't they have to include those in the cap total before the year begins though?

The way I understand they work is they include in cap usage but the actual cap gets increased.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

So I noticed that with rookies not needing to be protected in the expansion draft, Toronto has enough slots to protect a total of 18 players. I'm suddenly a lot less worried about the expansion draft :v:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Thufir posted:

Kaeden
Kaedyn
Kaedehn
Kaedenn
Kaed-N
Caydin
Cayden
Caydyn
Caydehn
Caydenn
Cayd-N
Caedin
Caeden
Caedyn
Caedehn
Caedenn
Caed-N
K-din
K-den
K-dyn
K-dehn
K-denn
K-d-N
Caidin
Caden
Kaden
Caiden
Caidyn
Caidehn
Caidenn
Caid-N
Khaedin
Khaeden
Khaedyn
Khaedehn
Khaedenn
Khaed-N

Kill yourself
Kil yourself
Kil urself
Kill urself
Qil u r slef

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

Working as a sub for the school division in Winnipeg I see a loooot of interesting names. I don't think i should post any of the cooler ones, don't want to doxx any kids...

Plenty of x-aiydens though.

Posting random first names with no connection to actual people isn't doxxing

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

My son's baseball team had 4 Liam's on it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kilza posted:

What the hell, how is anybody supposed to tell them apart? Clearly they should be re-named to Liam, Lyam, Leeam and Leeyahm. :colbert:

This might blow your mind but I just put their last name on their name tag instead of their first name

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Thread title wildly out of date

NHL N/V Loser City: Washington fails to Capitalize (again)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Reading some of the comments from the Caps exit interviews today and it sounded like Shattenkirk is pretty set on testing free agency (aka going to the Rangers) whereas Oshie would prefer to stay in Washington.

I'd love for the leafs to pick up a guy like shattenkirk

:cripes:

Why would an all-star d man go to an expansion team

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

The only reason I would be okay with taking Shattenkirk is if he replaced one Hunwick or Polak. If that's not happening then hell no.

I would assume a guy of his talent would at minimum push them down the order

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Shattenkirk is not the type of D-Man Toronto needs, they need somebody who does the defensive part of their job well like Justin Braun or Chris Tanev.

On the other hand, having someone who could add even more to toronto's offensive capability would be ok with me, because offence is more fun than defence.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Lou is never going to die

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Call Your Grandma posted:

Matt Martin actually amplifies Marner's charm:

Marner looks like a kid that's being pressured to try weed by the older kid who's actually a skeezball but seems cool when you're a dumb teenager

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Welcome to your home, Ottawa

Xtanstic posted:

Canada's team is where it belongs

Canada's team got eliminated in the first round. Ottawa is just sort of there.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

There is no Canada's team but it especially doesn't come from Ontario.

CommaToes posted:

Calgary? I wouldn't call them Canada's team.

yellowcar posted:

Yeah Montreal should have put up more of a fight to get to round 2 but c'est la vie. :)

It's hilarious that these are all true to some extent or another, it's particularly true that the Leafs are the best and that Marner meme just makes me like them more

Kilza posted:

This. This isn't like the MLB or NBA where there's only 1 Canadian team, therefore they're defaulted to as "Canada's Team". You can't define one of the seven Canadian teams in the NHL as "Canada's Team". That's not how it works.

It's the Leafs tho

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

eXXon posted:

Who's ready for uhhh Matthews vs Kuznetsov, the next great rivalry?

You mean Kadri v Ovi right

Gio posted:

winter classic was an already stale gimmick that was murdered by league over-saturation. once the novelty of having an outdoor game wore off it was just one of eighty-two boring regular season games.

On the other hand I went to one and it was fun

I wouldn't go to one across the Detroit border again tho because whooo boy that drive back was a fantastic disaster

Thufir posted:

Have the all stars compete in Crashed Ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC635rC_1Us

I'd support this

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I would like to be the first to welcome Nashville fans to the thread

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Funnily enough the Hull thing was the league half assedily implementing a rule to make up for the uncertainty around goaltender interference, just like they're doing here with reviews. If they'd left well enough alone no one would really remember the Stars first cup. I think the chances of a Stanley Cup winner being affected by an obviously blown offside call are far lower than the likelihood of it happening due to the idiocy around a situation like Forsberg's skate.

To do his job correctly, the linesman has to stand on the blueline and would be in front of the camera most of the time. The NHL has them already, but they're generally not a very useful view for that reason.

I found the NHL PR tweet that showed the result of the above offside call. The quality could be a hell of a lot better, that I don't disagree on. I just think they're not likely to solve anywhere near as many issues as people seem to expect.

*Puts on referee jersey*

That image does not show a player that is offside. The key reason is because the puck hasn't actually entered the zone yet. The key decision is actually once the puck has fully crossed the blue line so the next frame, or if the players are moving fast enough, an interpolation between the two frames, would actually be determinative. However,

xzzy posted:

If the nhl spent more than fifteen bucks on their blue line cameras, it would be pretty easy to determine offsides.

But nah, a 0.5 megapixel sensor recording at 3 fps is all we got budget for. Sorry guys!

So they don't have that point in time so we are left guessing.

hifi posted:

I think i'd trade any attempt at fixing the offsides challenge for being able to challenge penalties. Everyone in the NHL repeats the mantra of "well we gotta get it right" and then it seems like every other game there's a slow motion shot of a guy whiffing on a high stick and getting called for it anyways.

You can get a high stick for threatening or carrying in a threatening manner, not just actual contact.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

There was an offer sheet mentioned about Holmgren, but what is an offer sheet in the context of the NHL and why did it make him a crazy man?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Farewell, Dan Girardi. You blocked more shots than a Republican playing baseball.

Oof

Btw, why would someone from Detroit want Girardi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Have the leafs made any good / bad / otherwise trades so far?

• Locked thread