Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Twin Cinema posted:

Matthews has a real shot at scoring 40 goals this year, only needed 2 in his last 5 games. Only 14 other players have ever scored 40 goals in their rookie season, and Matthews would be the first since Ovechkin to do it (Crosby was close with 39 in the same year as Ovechkin). Before Laine and Matthews this year, the highest previous total since Ovechkin was Grabner with 34.

Personally I think Matthews should probably be top 6 in MVP discussion with McDavid, Crosby, Kucherov, Marchand and Bobrovsky. The guy has had an awesome year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress yeah. I hope the Caps let all their players go and get medals. The Washington Capitals will not be good for 6 or 7 games without Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Orlov, Johansson, Oshie (assuming he re-signs), Grubauer (assuming he's not snagged by LV) and maybe Vrana but who cares. I hope they put everyone on short-term IR and use the extra cap money to make some crazy UFA acquisitions. Let's see - who will be a UFA in 2018?

Tavares
Nash
Little
E Kane
Fowler
Hornqvist
Backlund
Turris

A boy can dream.

If the Olympics were today, and assuming all the likely Olympics participants from the Caps are allowed to participate, the lines during the Olympics would probably look something like this:

Brett Connolly-Lars Eller-Justin Williams
Chris Bourque-Travis Boyd-Andre Burakovsky
Daniel Winnik-Jay Beagle-Tom Wilson
Paul Carey-Chandler Stephenson-Riley Barber

Karl Alzner-Matt Niskanen
Brooks Orpik-Kevin Shattenkirk
Nate Schmidt-Taylor Chorney

Pheonix Copley
Vitek Vanacek

Looking at it like this makes the 2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins that much more impressive.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

"I'm a Washington Capitals fan"

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My 4 year old kid is in a class with 20 other kids. Here are some of the names off the top of my head:

Jayden x2
Kayden x2
Aiden
Braden
Grady
Owen
Oliver
Xavier

Other than Grady and one of the Kaydens these are all Asian kids. I barf in my mouth every time I see these names on the sign in sheet. LIke who is going to be the bully in this group? These are all names of kids who get beat up, not of kids who administer beatings.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

I am utterly baffled the Capitals managed to turn 3-1 into 3-3 given how bad they were getting beat those first four games.

They really weren't though. They probably carried play at least 70% of the time in those games but were susceptible to Pittsburgh's speed and counter attack - which are lethal. Also didn't help that Holtby let in some weak ones and they had a couple of bad bounces. Tomorrow should be more of the same. Game 7 should be all about Holtby and MAF and whether the Pens can create odd-man breaks.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Dear Jesus, let me wake up tomorrow as the fan of any other hockey team.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/MartyBannister/status/862483125422698497

Seriously though, are there people who still question the guy's desire to win? Look at him after he scores literally every goal, you can't fake that.

:ohdear: can you?

There's no doubt at all that he wants to win. It's just that he also wants me to be unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Slappy Pappy posted:

Dear Jesus, let me wake up tomorrow as the fan of any other hockey team.

Well I woke up today and it turns out I don't like hockey at all.

• Locked thread