Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Duckman2008 posted:

Nashville Predators could do it.

So could the Wild or Sharks. I'm not sure if any team actually will (the Hawks are still pretty good), but the Hawks blue line is starting to show its age a bit.

That said, the Hawks have only lost one series where they've had home ice advantage since Q has been coach (2014 to the Kings). He'll be able to mask their weak points more easily with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Number19 posted:

I haven't watched a lot of hockey lately, but have vaguely paid attention. Are the Hawks simply a team that has played too much hockey over the years and ran out of gas? Or is there something else going on? Is Nashville that good? That series result is a real shock.

On one end, some key players are getting up there in years and Nashville's speed clearly gave them fits all series. Some of the rookies who played pretty well in the regular season and made the top seed possible, on the other hand, looked pretty overwhelmed in their first playoff series (Hartman and Schmaltz).

And the fancy stats crowd did point to Nashville being a lot better than their regular season record, so it's not all smoke and mirrors with them, I think.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Thufir posted:

I feel like in the past, Chicago had a great top 6 and good depth. This year their depth didn't produce and their top 6 got shut down. Part of it was Nashville really clicking at the right time and getting good bounces but the Hawks never really looked like they would win the series.

Heck, they usually could count on 3 scoring lines and then use the Kruger line to flip the ice. They usually had a lights out top 4 blue line, too, but I think age has taken its toll on some of those guys.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

hifi posted:

could chicago have kept teuvo and bickell?

chicago didn't really make any deadline deals either. people poo poo on the vermette trade a while back because he sucked in the regular season but he put up 7 points in 20 goals, which is looking better than the hanzal deal right now.

it's been thrown around but it really does feel like we're in a new age of hockey now that chicago lost and LA didn't make it

They did not want to get rid of Teuvo, but the Canes wouldn't accept Bickell (and his awful contract) without something to sweeten the pot. Bickell's play had been declining since 2013 (for reasons which are now quite understandable but not known at the time). I think they were determined to move him to free up some cap space for the Campbell signing. They didn't have much to offer in a deadline deal after getting Ladd/Fleischmann/Weise for the previous year, and given how none of those worked I imagine they were a bit more gun shy. They certainly could have used Teuvo and Danault this year.

They did have a first round pick, but all the beat reporters indicated that the ownership told Bowman that was not in play because they are hosting the draft this year.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

hifi posted:

1 year 4 million left isn't really a terrible deal. I wonder if the hawks knew that bickell had MS then they could have forced him on IR with the promise that he could play in the playoffs, if he could.

I think with the Kruger extension and Panarin's bonuses they had to move him right then and there, in addition to really wanting to get blue line help (Campbell).

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Emetic Hustler posted:

Love the "gently caress the Hawks" posts, doesn't change the fact that they have more Cups the last couple of years than your team has. :smugdog:

Hawks are in rebuild mode and might need to re-structure their team more than usual (it's a given with the Panarin bonuses eating the cap next year again). I am not ready to write off the core just yet, but some probably need to get used to a diminished role or get busy off-season training. I blame Toews decline on being on that Joe Rogan shilled Onnit crap. Go back to whatever he was doing before that and it should be fine.

Whatever happens, I've seen my team win two more Cups than I had hoped they would win in my lifetime, s'all good.

I don't think having Teuvo would have made a difference. I am still on the fence if the kid will ever develop to his potential, there's been grumblings of him not being too keen on off-ice training and just relying on his talent.

They won't be in full rebuild mode for quite some time, I think, not after giving Panarin the six million dollar extension and all the NMCs they gave along with their other big contracts. They're going to have to rely on their draft picks on recent years to give them cheap, quality depth. They might be ok at forward now that Hartman and Schmaltz have a season under their belt, plus Hayden and Debrincat are intriguing prospects. Unfortunately, the blue line will be harder to address. I think both Keith and Seabrook (especially Seabrook) would benefit from some easier minutes if they can find someone else to absorb top line competition, but there's no one in the pipeline remotely close to being able to do that. Forsling has a lot of potential, but he's only 20 and it might take him a while to figure it out, if he ever does. No one else in their system inspires much confidence, either. The cap makes it hard to find that guy in free agency, too.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Mark Lazerus is reporting that the Blackhawks have fired assistant coach Mike Kitchen, who was in charge of the defense and penalty kill this season, I believe.

I'm actually rather stunned by this - Kitchen is a close personal friend of Q and that was pretty much the only reason he was on the staff. I figured he was untouchable.

Ummagumma fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2017

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

xzzy posted:

I guess producing mediocre defensive numbers when you got names like Seabrook, Keith, and Hjallmarsson on the roster might be enough to veto the friend card.

Oh no doubt there was cause to fire him, but if you believe another beat (Christopher Hine), this wasn't Q's call and he's mad that Kitchen got fired. So there might be some interesting behind the scenes drama with the front office and coaching staff.

Guess it will have to do for Hawks fans after the early exit!

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Blackhawks fired Rockford's head coach, Ted Dent.

Bowman's purge continues, I see. This move doesn't really make all that much sense, though. The Ice Hogs had their worst record ever, but that was mostly due to the fact the big club needed nearly all of the prospects this year. Most of the Hawks prospects have turned out all right, too, relative to their draft position.

Man ,if Bowman has the knives out for the minor league coach, imagine what he's going to do to the guy who handed out NMCs like they were candy!

e: As if on cue, Christopher Hine at the Tribune posts another article with an explanation. Apparently it had less to do with how he developed players than actions considered insubordinate, like apologizing to fans on Twitter when the Hawks traded away AHL superstar Spencer Abbot.

Ummagumma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 25, 2017

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Hawks got a decent return for a guy they had no chance in retaining, I think.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

RC Cola posted:

Does this mean the hawks can switch and protect Kruger?

Scott Powers is reporting that Kruger is "expected to still be with the Hawks" now.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

i am the bird posted:

Saad is younger and locked into 6m whereas Panarin will probably get more in his next contract, and it's possible Chicago might win the rest of the trade. I guess?

Saad is a better two way player, I suppose, and the Hawks might feel they need that with Hossa's LTIR banishment? That said losing Toftbo will erase any defensive benefit Saad brings, as it's a pretty sharp dive from him and Keith to anyone else on that blue line.

At least it's better than the Butler trade!

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

xzzy posted:

Yes this plan will work perfectly, ship out all the young talent that are the future of the team and keep all your overpaid deadwood.

I mean...the overpaid deadwood is kind of impossible to move given the NMCs Bowman handed out like candy. Figured Kruger be the only one going (if that) after Hossa's unofficial retirement.

Because I agree, Toftbo leaving and Seabrook staying leaves the Hawks defense in demonstrably worse shape than last year, and it wasn't all that great last year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm guessing the agent also got that clause to extend to his on-ice play as well?

Given how he's looked the last few years...yes, I think so!

• Locked thread