Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

That's still not settled. At this point in time, they could be in 2nd, facing tampa bay in 3rd, with ottawa in WC2 facing washington, and toronto fans on suicide watch.

Why would Toronto fans be on suicide watch? It's year two of a rebuild. Leafs fans should be happy even if they don't make the playoffs (but they're likely to make the playoffs anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Disappointed with the game tonight. That third period was really awful. But I'm proud of the rookies (and some of the other guys) no matter what happens so that's cool. I think their only hope is beating the (if they're still injured?) Pens because the Leafs are brutal on back to backs this year.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Interesting how everyone else other than Leafs fans are making a big deal out of this. Considering the schedule it's very possible that they don't make it and that's absolutely fine. Season was a huge success already.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Crazy fans are ridiculous. Thankfully I'm not a crazy fan.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 8, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I guess I was wrong, some Leafs fans here do care about making the playoffs this year. I'm still of the mind it's fine if they don't but I might be in the minority apparently. I think they win tonight though.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
It would be hilarious if Kessel scores to help eliminate the Leafs from playoff contention. Would rather that didn't happen but I admit it would be funny.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Playoff sweep still means playoff experience for the kids, so it's cool. Just don't lose 10-1 four times in a row I guess.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya post season games are like double xp and the rookies will level up faster

Funny but you don't think playoff experience means anything?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, not really. It's just another one of those things the talking heads and Old Time Hockey guys think is a real thing that matters and predicts success.

I don't think it guarantees success but I think there's value in a player going through the playoffs. Doesn't mean it overtakes talent when comparing players but I think there's at least a little truth to it being beneficial. But I've been wrong before and will be again.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

Don't worry the meltdown is just delayed for a little while longer.

Repeating 2013 again is gonna be great.

I can't imagine too many people melting down this year but I guess it's possible. If you have a taste of the playoffs you might get carried away. I think the full meltdown will take place 2 years from now when the Leafs lose game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

A good chunk of the fanbase actually believe they'll win the Cup this year.

Really? lol. I don't read comment sections or listen to radio shows (and Leafs fans I know aren't saying it), so I have no idea but I find that really hard to believe. People need some loving perspective if that's actually true.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

Do you not leave your house? I can walk down any street in the GTA and meet rabid delusional Leafs fans thinking Matthews makes McDavid look like a 3rd liner and that the team is built for a back to back to back Cup run starting this year.

Also the delusion gets worse the further into the burbs you go. By the time you hit Barrie.. well, lets not look into that abyss. :cry:

I guess I just haven't met that many people that think that way. I don't live in Toronto and no one at my work thinks that way, none of my friends think that way, none of my immediate or extended family members think that way and I haven't talked to strangers about the Leafs so I guess I'm blissfully unaware.

Edit: Met not meant.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 9, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I'm a good smart fan who appreciates a rebuild and doens't get angry when my team loses :jerkbag:

I still get annoyed when they lose or play lovely but then I get over it quickly because I'm aware it's a rebuild. Like I was nervous tonight even though I was fine with them missing the playoffs, so of course you get into it but what's wrong with a little perspective?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Koopa Kid posted:

Andersen passed concussion protocol but won't play today, meaning it's McElhinney on back to back nights baby!

Hello, Washington Capitals.

I think I'm more confident with a pumped up McBackup tonight than a possibly groggy Andersen, so it might be ok.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

whatis posted:

nonis as team pres
pierre as GM

badda BING

Therrien as coach

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Leafs done good. I'm pretty pleased with how they played. They did get lucky with lack of injuries this year, and other teams who were expected to be better in the division under performing, and I worry about the potential sophomore slump for some of the rookies (if that's even a real thing), but if they can improve the D I think they'll do well. Matthews is a much better player than I thought he was earlier in the season.

lol that's great

Duke Chin posted:

Go Nashville v. Caps

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Initially I was under the impression that Martin could score a little to go with his hitz but he's done jack poo poo for the Leafs and yea, just wastes a roster spot. His one year with NYI scoring 10 fooled me (and Lou apparently).

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Once Ben Smith was banished and Boyle and Kapanen were on the Fourth, Martin was easily the worst player on the team. Boyle, Kapanen, Kadri, Soshnikov and Komarov all hit quite consistently and contribute in other ways. Martin falls down a lot and sometimes loses a fight. His contract makes him look worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I don't think I'm smarter than management, just think the Martin contract was a mistake for what he brings. Sharing opinions means I think I'm smarter than Lou now? Ok. What are we even doing here then? What's the meaning of even posting? LOU IS A GENIUS! LEAFS NATION BABAAAYY!

• Locked thread