Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Schlesische posted:

My favorite part is the reminder that less than 6 months ago we all believed Carey Price getting injured again was the only long-shot way Therrien was getting fired.

Turns out we were wrong. He just had to have a solid month and a half of sub-.900 goaltending.

:tinfoil: He went from something stupid like averaging .949 to .898 and I think in March (after Therrien's dismissal) he was back at .949-ish numbers.

Some brilliant planning and execution on that one by Price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Please someone give Ovechkin a Stanley Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPd7IWaYus&t=69s

Ovechkin gets sucker punched by Anderson, then gives Anderson a bloody nose and chirps him about it.

For any non-Russian speakers, FYI, it might be worth your time to find someone who does understand it and have them do a running translation, because that poo poo was at least as entertaining as anything on the screen. My general view of American play-by-play - in any sport - is that I'd rather watch the game/match on mute, except then I wouldn't be able to hear the sound of play itself.

But I've seen games where I'd have preferred just listening to these guys relate it, instead.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

To clarify: the NHL will not accommodate the Olympics in their schedule, but individual players can still go if they choose and are able to work poo poo out with their club?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Schlesische posted:

I only started watching hockey because people kept telling me it was the only worthwhile thing to watch at the winter olympics. Like I straight up wouldn't be a hockey person without the Olympics.

The IOC can burn in hell, but they won't have to be drinking buddies with every majors american sports league commisioner and 80% of team owners.

Whoever gave Melnyk his Kidney or whatever it was should ask for it back.

Unfortunately the transplant contract contained a limited No-Take-Backsies clause - the original donor can't reclaim the kidney, but they can submit a list of 8 other potential recipients, of which Melnyk must pick one to re-donate the kidney to.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

N: hey, an update on Thronton and Couture, let's see how things ar-

quote:

Couture spoke about his ordeal immediately following his injury, when a deflected puck knocked several teeth from his mouth in Nashville on March 25.

“Right when it happened I went to the Nashville room and their doctors and dentists did a great job trying to basically save my teeth,” he said. “They had to move a lot of them around obviously from the impact of the puck. They were all shifted in my mouth. They did a great job at that time to try and save them. 

“I went to Vanderbilt hospital, and they brought a guy in there to put what is called an arch-bar on my teeth to try and save them. …It wasn’t really a surgery, it was just kind of a procedure that they did.”

The damage to Couture’s mouth was not localized to his top or bottom teeth.

“They’re all damaged,” he said. “A lot of these teeth are going to be taken out at some point once the season is over. They’ll have to remove a lot of them from my mouth.”

“It’s basically temporary to have some teeth in my mouth. That’s pretty much it. If they took them all out now then I would be almost toothless.”

Couture’s timeframe to return wasn’t anymore specific than the one offered by DeBoer, as he hasn't skated yet. The good news is he said he hasn’t lost any weight, and he is again able to eat some solid foods, although he has to chew his back teeth only.

V: :cry:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

JawKnee posted:

he's gonna get sweet fake implants and never have to worry about cavities again!

Yeah, buddy! That's uh...the uh...ticket.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

JawKnee posted:

well okay, no need to be a sharks poster

You mad your team is one of like two the Sharks can still beat?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

JawKnee posted:

not really?

Oh. :smith:

Well, can you pretend? I really need this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sharks have Lucic a hattie.

gently caress you stupid Sharks.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

If nothing else, TMac vs Sharks is a somewhat interesting storyline for them to pitch, and we get to see four games of McDavid.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

2016-2017 LA Kings: 55.0%CF. 98.3 PDO

e: Maybe Sutter caused them to have the worst shooting percentage in the league this year?

Actually, if you look, LA has maintained a remarkably consistently terrible shooting % during his tenure, so there's an argument to be made that his system, which suppresses his team's offense generally, also suppresses shooting %ages.

Edit: ah, I see now D C pretty much beat me to this. Tbb, this is basically the same system and effects thereof that Sutter ran in SJ, and which worked well to elevate a mediocre team, but tended to depress good teams. I largely agree with the analysis someone wrote up recently on the Kings getting hot and/or lucky enough at the right time en route to their two Cup wins. Deano has also made some dumbass moves (the Doughty holdout, eg). I don't think LA is going to be hurting as a result of the firings. And you can expect Doughty's production to balloon next season.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 11, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Powershift posted:

At least make it their respective animals.

I dig it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Zeff Jaktoff bahaha

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

gently caress the Sharks

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Matt Martin was an integral part of a great energy line that was easily the Leafs most consistent,

I can't tell if this says more about Martin or the Leafs.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

I love this forum of neckbeards that never played speaking authoratively about a sport they don't understand at all. You guys are all smarter than Mike Babcock, Lou Lam and Shanahan.

Woah, woah, woah - just because I haven't trimmed along the beard line for two days doesn't mean you need to whip out the long knives, pal.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Could they pull two skaters and play with three goalies?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Been thinking about a protected list for the Sharks and I just don't even know.

A year of Thornton
Couture
Pavelski
Hertl?

Burns
Vlasic

Jones

Good lord.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

seems pretty easy to pick to me:

Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Karlsson, Tierney, and then either Hansen or Boedker

Burns, Vlasic, Braun

Jones

For one, I wouldn't protect Karlsson, or probably Tierney (only reason I'd consider it is he's 22), over Donskoi, who had had a down year and missed considerable time with an injury. I kinda feel like if it could be said to be easy, it's in part in the sense that after the first 3 or 4 forwards, it doesn't even matter, and in part because some of the people we'd want to protect are exempt anyway. But it's hard to look at the team over this past season and, beyond that first handful, see any player as being of particular importance, or an improvement over 3 or 4 others.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

This jersey reveal spoiler bullshit reminds me a lot of the Scott Walker presidential campaign logo reveal spoiler bullshit, and while it's unlikely to be that scale of total disaster, the similarities alone should be concerning.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I said the Sharks protected list would likely be a crapshoot - turns out even more than I thought:

quote:

Protected players
Ryan Carpenter (F)
Logan Couture (F)
Jannik Hansen (F)
Tomas Hertl (F)
Melker Karlsson (F)
Joe Pavelski (F)
Chris Tierney (F)
Justin Braun (D)
Brent Burns (D)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic (D)
Martin Jones (G

Didn't expect to see Marleau, but Thornton's absence is conspicuous. They're protecting what...2 of their top 6? Interesting.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yaya posted:

No sense to protect somebody who's a UFA in two weeks

Yeah, you're totally right. For some reason, I thought they still had a year left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

grack posted:

Doan was investigating the team for ties to Russia?

I knew it...Burmistrov!

• Locked thread