Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

They never bettered 102pts over that stretch and managed a stunning 95 in their first cup win year. They genuinely never had a good regular season, and they have more cup wins in their history (2) than division titles (1). They just got hot at exactly the right time twice, but otherwise kinda sucked.

Keep in mind that the first Cup team vastly improved twice through the season, first when they changed coaches to Sutter and then when they acquired Richards. Before the playoffs started, some stats blogger (I think Gabe Desjardins) did identify them as arguably the best team in the league. I think after acquiring Richards they were at a ~120 point pace with >55% corsi. They were also 1 point off being the third seed that year because the Pacific was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Yeah, and the 120 point pace based on ~20 games after the Carter trade isn't really unique. The Flames are on ~140 point pace in their 20, and you had teams like the 2015 Senators, 2009 Blues who went on wild runs to end the season without being anything special.

Oh yeah, Carter was the mid-year pickup, not Richards.

Anyway the first Cup winning team was a team with good underlying stats that matched their results. It's not the equivalent of the 05-06 Hurricanes who had pretty bad underlying stats and are almost certainly going to be the worst Cup winner of our lifetimes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which is considered the tougher league historically to score in, the WHL or OHL?

Historically the W is considered stronger defensively but last I knew they were pretty equal.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fun with tiebreaks:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah Everett beat out Seattle for first place this season by (1? 2? I forget) points by Seattle having way more straight wins but Everett having a ridiculous more amount of loser points it's loving stupid

This one is less stupid, since the first breaker is just games played. It's just funny that Ottawa and Boston have evened up at just the right point in the season where it leads to Boston having clinched but Ottawa not, because Tampa can catch Ottawa for ROW but not Boston.

e:

Aphrodite posted:

Teams shouldn't be penalized for keeping it close, but shouldn't be awarded for failing to win.

See? It cancels out. Kill the loser point.

Kill the loser point, and bring back ties.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

That's different, they fought up from 8th.

It's been a while since I've looked this up, but I seem to remember that the Oilers were legit one of the best teams in the league, and it had just been masked by running a Conklin/Markkanen pairing for most of the season. They were definitely a much better team than Carolina.

Then they traded Pronger and, well, the same thing happened that happens to every team that loses Pronger.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Oh yeah, the Leafs being in the playoffs is really cool. I'm not sure how they're going to do. Aside from obvious first timeness, I think a lot of their offence comes from the powerplay, and those tend to not come around quite as often in the playoffs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

They were pretty middle of the road. If you look at all their top scorers were Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, Torres, and Pisani all peaked in that regular season, none of them ever matched their point total from that season, even the ones who escaped the vortex that was the oilers management of that time.

Even roloson barely had a winning record in the regular season.

It's hard to find because these stats weren't explicitly tracked back then, but I think their estimated possession was in the 54% range, as opposed to Carolina who was comfortably below 50%.

fe: I found this. 53.7% Fenwick, and were suffering through ~.880 goaltending until they acquired Roloson.

e2: Goaltending for 05-06, set to min 18 games (so as to capture all of Edmonton's goalies). Conklin and Markkanen were 56th/57th out of 58 qualifying goaltenders. Mike Morrison at 52nd. Then .905 Roloson put up with Edmonton would put him around 21st.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 9, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

Use that same tool for GAA, Roloson is 18th at 2.73, Conklin 22nd at 2.8, and Markkanen 40th at 3.13. Get into the playoffs and suddenly Roloson goes 2.33 at .929, gets injured, and Markkanen goes 2.16 at .905. Conklin's stats accurately reflect his play, at 0.667 and 10.71 GAA.

To my mind a reasonable GAA combined with a piss awful save percentage is indicative of a team that's pretty darn good at limiting shots against.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

I really don't want the Leafs to face the Caps in the first round. Please don't kill Andersen CBJ.

It's McIlhenney backed up by Sparks tonight, I think.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Leafs' season ended much as it progressed: blowing a lead in the third then losing in overtime.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So, what do the Leafs need most in the offseason? Offensive depth? I kind of don't want them to trade almost anyone they have other than to upgrade Matt Martin to almost literally anyone else

The biggest thing they need are players who can fill the Polak-Hunwick role without actively being bad. There was like a 20 game stretch this year where that actually was Polak but I wouldn't count on him doing that again. After that it's mostly minor stuff. To my mind it's:

(1) Either sign Zaitsev for replace him in the top 4.
(2) See if you can't trade Bozak and then sign someone better for less money to be the 3C.
(3) Try to upgrade on Zack Hyman for the third spot on the Matthews-Nylander line.
(4) Probably find a new 4C to replace whichever of Martin and Boyle get taken by Vegas. Maybe this is the Goat.
(5) Sign a backup goaltender.

The only one of those that I think can really improve the team is if they hit a home run with a Zaitsev replacement (unlikely) or a Bozak one (more likely). Otherwise the team should continue to get better through improvement from the rookies, and I think a top 4 of Gardiner/Rielly/Carrick/Zaitsev is enough to compete.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

DuhSal posted:

Initially I was under the impression that Martin could score a little to go with his hitz but he's done jack poo poo for the Leafs and yea, just wastes a roster spot. His one year with NYI scoring 10 fooled me (and Lou apparently).

Martin's (valuable) calling card was supposed to be very good shot suppression but I have no idea how that's held up this year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Don't want to let that Tab'Halak shirt at the end pass without comment.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

And the Devils maintain a monopoly on active players taken at 1-1 who have never played an NHL playoff game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thufir posted:

Poor Yak City too, so far

hmm we'll have to gerrymander the fun fact a little more for maximum fun

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also I think it's great that the Avs have one of the worst seasons in NHL history and end up picking fourth in a weak draft.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They finished ahead of Nashville, so wouldn't it be 17th (some reason I thought Toronto had 93 pts and made it, they had 95)? They were WC 1, NSH was WC 2, so....

Nashville's gonna make the conference finals.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fits posted:

the four conference finalist teams get 27th to 31st automatically iirc.

Yeah. Conference finalists are 28/29, Cup Loser is 30, and Cup winner is 31.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

bewbies posted:

how the hell did neither EK nor burns get nominated? hurf durf lets always give the hart to a forward cause they're flashy

Burns is probably the favourite to win it if San Jose doesn't barf a fart down the stretch. As it stands, hard to fault the votes for Bobs and the two best players in the league.

The other near miss who you could make a case for over Bobrovsky is Kucherov, who had a much better season than seems to have been recognized.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Seven years is kinda goofy for Zaitsev. Hope it doesn't bite them but, well, yeesh.

Koopa Kid posted:

He's absolutely eligible for the expansion draft, but this will be his third year with the team and there's no reason to think Babs won't play him. Framing it as a sly way to get around exposure requirements and nothing more is ignoring history.

I'll spend the offseason telling myself that they extended Byron Froese then banished him so hope's not dead.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jeremy Jacobs is firmly against NHL going to Olympics: '[hissssss] Joy must perisssssh'

Arabian Jesus posted:

Seven years for Zaitsev only works if he becomes a top defender so that the team doesn't have to worry about him being due for a big payday around the time Matthews, Marner and Nylander need to be resigned. I don't know how I feel about this deal and won't have any strong feelings on it anytime soon.

It "works" if he continues to be a mildly above average D for the seven years, but to be honest I think that's actually a worse bet than hoping a top D continues being a top D over an extended stretch. Like, if a top pairing guy starts to flag, you can still have an above average player. In an average player starts to flag... the team is faced with fewer good contingencies.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's pronounced as Cruise, if you were wondering.

Is that better or worse than "Chris?"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

So Ville Leino is apparently an artist now and uh... he didn't much care for his time in Buffalo.

I have a new favourite player.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I want to do a vegas draft thing but the protection list only comes out a day or two before he draft.

There is a plan in place :ssh:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Congratulations to the Ottawa Senators for a three week stretch where they, uh [looks at goal differential, scoring chances, and regulation wins] performed almost as well as the Vancouver Canucks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Now that the threat of the Senators three stoogesing their way to a Cup is past, I'm looking forwards to Melnyk and Dorion going all in on this group.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also the last one is "shot suppression." I write this in case anyone else was like me and spent 20 minute wondering what "shots up" referred to.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So my thought is to go like last season, and to keep this thread up until the draft, at which point we'll put up the Offseason N/V and FA thread.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Was it true that journos asked the league if they could give a combined vote to Murray and Fleury?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There are some real-reporters-but-not-trade breakers on twitter saying that Montreal is trying to do something involving an offer of Galchenyuk and a first. One of the reports said they were targeting Drouin, another said they were targeting RNH+. Making the Drouin trade work would probably be pretty solid for the Habs, but I'd still like it, because I am down with every chaos trade.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Not only is this trade good for Montreal but it's also less chaotic than I wanted.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Suspicious posted:

Drouin is alright but this trade sucks because Sergachev is gonna be a stud.

McDonaugh, Subban, now Sergachev. Third time's the charm. Timmens please stop drafting star defensemen.

I feel like if Tampa gets the better player out of this exchange either their scouts have future-seeing magic or they planted a bomb inside Drouin's ankle set to detonate in training camp.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hello where are the trades please

Actively in progress, it seems.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Haha, what?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/876135722666917889

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I don't think people should be so mad during this week, the draft week, one of the best weeks of the hockey season.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah I'm sure it's just a coincidence that he wants to retire now after he's already made 95% of his contract despite having 4 years remaining

It can be related but not a dodge. Like now that his salary's dropped he doesn't feel like putting up with encasing himself in allergy hell for two thirds of the calendar year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Hey I've been out, have we talked about Ryan Suter getting a 2nd place Hart vote yet?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AAB posted:

Hello I am here for the Trades.

I launched ten feet out of my bed as soon as the alarm hit this morning. Give me those loving trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Here comes the good poo poo

• Locked thread