Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Something Awful Turkish Referendum Straw Poll
Evet
Hayir
View Results

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I thought the turkish military/deep state were in shambles and ataturks beautiful dream of secularism and armenian death was dead and buried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean outside of some sort of bizarre clone scenario...

he was a kemal fan at heart it's clear....

he went and found, a kemal hair!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

shovelbum posted:

I thought the turkish military/deep state were in shambles and ataturks beautiful dream of secularism and armenian death was dead and buried

it's islamism and kurdish death now

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

have the secularists ever actually won an election in turkey

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

shovelbum posted:

the deep state may be gone, but as long as there is a turkey, armenian genocide will never die

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
no third option?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

have the secularists ever actually won an election in turkey

most presidents before Erdogan were secularist because Ataturk was heavily influenced by the French and their "church and state should be as far apart as possible" policies. plus, if anyone got a bit too Islamist the army would step in, because they believed themselves to be the true guardians of Kemalism.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

The sad part is how so many Turks seem to be on board with Erdogan. I guess that rhetoric about "restoring the Ottoman Empire" is really appealing to poverty-stricken Turkmen.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

most presidents before Erdogan were secularist because Ataturk was heavily influenced by the French and their "church and state should be as far apart as possible" policies. plus, if anyone got a bit too Islamist the army would step in, because they believed themselves to be the true guardians of Kemalism.

yeah but almost none of those guys ever won an election

if you go back and look at turkish elections, the ones that were actually free and fair were almost always won by islamists (who may or may not then be couped later)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

yeah but almost none of those guys ever won an election

if you go back and look at turkish elections, the ones that were actually free and fair were almost always won by islamists (who may or may not then be couped later)

Are you just basically limiting free and fair to "elections won by the Democratic party" or something? (also even the democratic party wasn't so much islamist as it wasn't as hardline secularist as CHP)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

of the ones i see where chp wasn't the only party, they won: 1946, 1961, 1973, 1977 (all three with with a small plurality)

they haven't come anywhere close to winning an election since 1977, unless you count dsp as a continuation in which case they "won" by getting 20% of the vote in 1999 (chp actually got 0 seats)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Alienwarehouse posted:

The sad part is how so many Turks seem to be on board with Erdogan. I guess that rhetoric about "restoring the Ottoman Empire" is really appealing to poverty-stricken Turkmen.

From what I understand, Erdogan has been good about distributing aid and infrastructure to rural areas of Turkey [except for the parts where Kurds live]. He really is a classic populist strongman, with everything that comes along with that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PleasingFungus posted:

From what I understand, Erdogan has been good about distributing aid and infrastructure to rural areas of Turkey [except for the parts where Kurds live]. He really is a classic populist strongman, with everything that comes along with that.

be glad that trump seems to be an extreemmely moronic strongman instead of being a competent one

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

be glad that trump seems to be an extreemmely moronic strongman instead of being a competent one
nothing "seems to be" about it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Alienwarehouse posted:

Thats how this stuff usually works. The more desperate the people, the more they go along with strongman bullshit 'lets make our land great again'

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezi_Park_protests

this started because erdogan was going to bulldoze a park to put in a luxury brand shopping mall. he of course also bulldozed the protestors too

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezi_Park_protests

this started because erdogan was going to bulldoze a park to put in a luxury brand shopping mall. he of course also bulldozed the protestors too
what is it about islamists and creating big monuments to consumerism? i know that erdogan isn't a wahabbist but it's the same end result as what the saudis have done with mecca

less than one week before turkey shoots themselves in the foot btw

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The saudis demolished the house of Mohammed's wife so they could install bathrooms.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
christian fundamentalists talk a big game, but it is literally impossible for them to desecrate the holy places of islam any better than the House of Saud already does

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They're just combating idolatry.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

PleasingFungus posted:

christian fundamentalists talk a big game, but it is literally impossible for them to desecrate the holy places of islam any better than the House of Saud already does

I feel like the wahhabi desecration of Mecca is a good view of how horrible it would be to have evangelicals in charge of Jerusalem.

Also their deep desire to destroy Mecca and Medina is something that goes way, way far back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The saudis demolished the house of Mohammed's wife so they could install bathrooms.

I'm an atheist and this enrages me.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm an atheist and this enrages me.

Ever seen any pics of Mecca lately? It's the textbook definition of "Gauche"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Its gonna make some kickass video game levels when oil crashes and it starts getting reclaimed by the desert

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

Its gonna make some kickass video game levels when oil crashes and it starts getting reclaimed by the desert

You're thinking of Dubai. Even if there's a near extinction event, people will still be making the Hajj.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yeah but they still got that big black and gold techno cube afaik, that thing loving rules. it's like a magic macguffin from dead space or some poo poo

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

get that OUT of my face posted:

what is it about islamists and creating big monuments to consumerism? i know that erdogan isn't a wahabbist but it's the same end result as what the saudis have done with mecca

less than one week before turkey shoots themselves in the foot btw

insanely brutal right wing religious extremists are worshippers of a god very unlike the one they claim

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fullhouse posted:

yeah but they still got that big black and gold techno cube afaik, that thing loving rules. it's like a magic macguffin from dead space or some poo poo

The Kaabah is the ritualistic heart of Islam itself. It's everything surrounding the Masjid-Al-Haram mosque that will make you lust for Saudi death.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Aren't mosques the opposite of haram?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Volcott posted:

Aren't mosques the opposite of haram?

Haram or haraam have two different pronunciations that mean different things, in this case "haram" means sacred, not forbidden. They're written differently in Arabic.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Has Köksal Baba weighed in on this yet?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Nanomashoes posted:

Has Köksal Baba weighed in on this yet?

https://twitter.com/nurten31126848/status/849385857945677824

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I had a friend visit from Spain last week and he asked if "Evet" was the name of the guy on the posters around town (Erdogan). He later asked me if sultans are still real.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They will be after the referendum.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Well I'm convinced, let's have a new Ottoman Empire.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Thread needs more of Erdogan's taxpayer-funded billions-dollar vanity palace.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

asaf posted:

I had a friend visit from Spain last week and he asked if "Evet" was the name of the guy on the posters around town (Erdogan). He later asked me if sultans are still real.

Only these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pa9x9fZBtY

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Kaabah is the ritualistic heart of Islam itself. It's everything surrounding the Masjid-Al-Haram mosque that will make you lust for Saudi death.

you could show that picture to someone, say it's part of the Las Vegas Strip, and they'd believe you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Troy Queef posted:

you could show that picture to someone, say it's part of the Las Vegas Strip, and they'd believe you

Gaudy eyesore in the middle of the desert? Checks out.

• Locked thread