Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Something Awful Turkish Referendum Straw Poll
Evet
Hayir
View Results

• Locked thread
Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

Voting to end democracy is cool.

All he had to do was call his opponents islamophobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah everyone seems to be doing it these days

I can't wait for the 23rd

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLLlsUhM1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MgBM1NZ9Lg

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Bip Roberts posted:

The middle east has a cool history of that

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

America's role in overthrowing two governments on their southern border—along with funding various paramilitary groups in the vacuum left afterwards—probably made it easier for Erdogan to consolidate dictatorial control over the government by using extreme nationalist and religious propaganda.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alienwarehouse posted:

America's role in overthrowing two governments on their southern border—along with funding various paramilitary groups in the vacuum left afterwards—probably made it easier for Erdogan to consolidate dictatorial control over the government by using extreme nationalist and religious propaganda.

Turkish leadership has repeatedly made it clear that they want Assad ousted. I think they'd be happier had the US actually overthrown him.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It's like every nation around the world suddenly got an urge to own itself.

ya its called globalism :ocelot::grin: and they'll be dragged kicking and screaming towards it

the trick is to drag the tantrum baby towards it quickly, and not let it go into a nuclear meltdown which everyone is too busy hem hawing over~

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It's like every nation around the world suddenly got an urge to own itself.

well that is the basic idea of nationalism so

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lastgirl posted:

ya its called globalism :ocelot::grin: and they'll be dragged kicking and screaming towards it

the trick is to drag the tantrum baby towards it quickly, and not let it go into a nuclear meltdown which everyone is too busy hem hawing over~

Come again?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The margin was only like 2% right? Apparently there was a lot of intimidation from yes, and yes were the only guys with billiards and such.

So erdogan got his result, but the country is still divided

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Peel posted:

well that is the basic idea of nationalism so

I don't think anyone on the left is really opposed to their country being economically self-sufficient instead of leaving it at the mercy of few unaccountable international bodies. Economic globalism (one world market) with no protections for workers or unions (protectionism) leaves everybody who's not wealthy worse off. It's no coincidence that Trump adopted the anti-free trade rhetoric, because he knew it sounded very appealing to the down-trodden working man (unfortunately they got played by a conman). Protectionism and economic nationalism is not the same thing as ethnic and religious nationalism. Unfortunately, we have a massive, corporate neoliberal lobby that deliberately conflates the two in order to crush any opposition to their laissez-faire economic agenda as bigoted.

It's going to be interesting to watch Erdogan in the coming years after this, though. He now has much more leeway in forging new alliances around the world.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Ohlol he could only intimidate enough people to get a two percent victory. Man do MHP and those Nationalist Maoists have his balls in a nutsack now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76hlxowjkr0

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Alienwarehouse posted:

This has nothing to do with America and everything to do with turkey. loving Americans want to make everything about themselves I swear

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNa7aELDcw8

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

The woman in the video thumbnail is bangin'. :quagmire:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Alienwarehouse posted:

The woman in the video thumbnail is bangin'. :quagmire:

Nice dude

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Heh. The Turks realized that democracy is really dumb and voted to end democracy. This is actually woke guys

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
They merely chose to have less democracy, since they had too much

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Ammanas posted:

They merely chose to have less democracy, since they had too much

Do we have democracy bombs ready to go? Like that 21k lbs one we just dropped in Afghanistan?

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

Ammanas posted:

This has nothing to do with America and everything to do with turkey. loving Americans want to make everything about themselves I swear

I do blame Europe and America a bit for their support of erdo as a figurehead for moderate Islam. He wouldn't have gotten this far without their tacit support , which lasted until gezi more or less. It can be argued that tge emergence of erdo can be attributed to the 1980 coup, which some claim was supported by the USA as a gladio thingy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

rudatron posted:

So erdogan got his result, but the country is still divided
considering that democracy is officially dead in turkey, it's a moot point

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

considering that democracy is officially dead in turkey, it's a moot point

The Turkish Republic never really functioned as such. Ataturk's legacy isn't creating a republic, it was managing to avoid colonial rule.

Now they have Islamist Putin.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Agag posted:

The Turkish Republic never really functioned as such. Ataturk's legacy isn't creating a republic, it was managing to avoid colonial rule.

Erdogan is the Turkish Trump, didn't you read the manual? He's terrible at everything except destroying his country :lol:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Brother Friendship posted:

Erdogan is the Turkish Trump, didn't you read the manual? He's terrible at everything except destroying his country :lol:

I'll meet you halfway on this. Erdogan has Trumplike tendencies and basically sucks, but Trump will leave office in 4 or 8 years, or sooner if he gets really bored. Erdogan (like Putin) isn't going anywhere without major bloodshed.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

So this referendum pretty much confirms that Erdogan's rhetoric about joining the EU was all bullshit, right?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Alienwarehouse posted:

So this referendum pretty much confirms that Erdogan's rhetoric about joining the EU was all bullshit, right?

He did want to join the EU until they made it clear that they'd never accept Turkey.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Agag posted:

i've heard the term "illiberal democracy" thrown around regarding Turkey, but now it looks like it's not gonna even be all that democratic. so yeah, it'll be Russia with a "moderate islamist" bent

they are for some justice and development

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Alienwarehouse posted:

I saw a tweet about Turkey having a referendum on their EU application, which seems like the international relations version of "you can't fire me, I quit"

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Alienwarehouse posted:

For sure.

But to be fair, the EU was bullshitting that they'd ever let Turkey join. I guess part of the appeal of authoritarians is that they cut through the (neo)liberal bullshit.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've heard the term "illiberal democracy" thrown around regarding Turkey, but now it looks like it's not gonna even be all that democratic. so yeah, it'll be Russia with a "moderate islamist" bent

they are for some justice and development

Its such a great name for a party that wants to jail or disappear all opposition, and "develop" economically along Russian lines and socially along Saudi lines.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

how hard of a shift has turkey gone in terms of "morality?" it gets lost in the shuffle about erdogan's overall dictatorial tendencies, but i know he said the national drink of turkey was ayran instead of beer or whatever liquor ataturk liked, and kissing in public is a crime of some level

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
We should have shot down his plane during that coup if we didn't want this to happen.

There's no point in hand-wringing about it now.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

hakimashou posted:

We should have shot down his plane during that coup if we didn't want this to happen.

Western powers backing a Sunni authoritarian?!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He did want to join the EU until they made it clear that they'd never accept Turkey.

Erdogan would never have accepted having the ECtHR stymieing him, so EU membership was never in the cards for an AK-ruled Turkey. The biggest pro-Turkey voice in the EU was actually Britain, with France against, but Turkish membership was dead long before Brexit.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

hakimashou posted:

Glenn Greenwald got super huffy about the idea of Western media figures supporting the coup, so I guess the Universal Law of Greenwald Irony obligated Erdogan to declare himself eternal sultan.

Funny enough Turkey has extended it's 'state of emergency' following the vote, an emergency dire enough to suspend the normal processes of government but not bad enough to postpone a constitutional referendum. It's the same state of emergency he used to stack the Electoral Council in his favour.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

does anyone have a rec for a good history of modern turkey

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/17/donald-trump-erdogan-turkey-referendum-congratulations

:lol::lol:

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

hakimashou posted:

I waited the whole night for that to happen

cancelope has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Apr 18, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

Turks in Europe are statistically more likely to be poorly educated and highly religious, and also highly nationalist (last 2 are in reaction to their environment kinda). Turks in those other places tend to be wealthier, better educated, probably not living in those places for life, and they have a clearer picture of religious/nationalist authoritarianism from where they stand.

• Locked thread