Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Something Awful Turkish Referendum Straw Poll
Evet
Hayir
View Results

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

have the secularists ever actually won an election in turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

most presidents before Erdogan were secularist because Ataturk was heavily influenced by the French and their "church and state should be as far apart as possible" policies. plus, if anyone got a bit too Islamist the army would step in, because they believed themselves to be the true guardians of Kemalism.

yeah but almost none of those guys ever won an election

if you go back and look at turkish elections, the ones that were actually free and fair were almost always won by islamists (who may or may not then be couped later)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

of the ones i see where chp wasn't the only party, they won: 1946, 1961, 1973, 1977 (all three with with a small plurality)

they haven't come anywhere close to winning an election since 1977, unless you count dsp as a continuation in which case they "won" by getting 20% of the vote in 1999 (chp actually got 0 seats)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Alienwarehouse posted:

So this referendum pretty much confirms that Erdogan's rhetoric about joining the EU was all bullshit, right?

I saw a tweet about Turkey having a referendum on their EU application, which seems like the international relations version of "you can't fire me, I quit"

• Locked thread