Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Something Awful Turkish Referendum Straw Poll
Evet
Hayir
View Results

• Locked thread
cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I'm going to vote no. I suggest taking the polls with a grain of salt; outside certain circles it is likely that people are hesitant to admit to leaning no. The government t is doing everything it can to suppress "no" propaganda, and with so much greater access to all the funding and equipment they need, they have no problem flooding out the oppoganda in even the most anti-akp districts.

Still think yes will win & turkey will continue to get worse. As for myself, I will be going to the USA anyway. Looking forward to getting away from populist totalitarian regime & experience real freedom again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

Ps, my take on the coup attempt: a kernel of truth that was intentionally allowed to snowball

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

I had a friend visit from Spain last week and he asked if "Evet" was the name of the guy on the posters around town (Erdogan). He later asked me if sultans are still real.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

voted no. gently caress

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

I pass as white thsnk allah

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

Ammanas posted:

This has nothing to do with America and everything to do with turkey. loving Americans want to make everything about themselves I swear

I do blame Europe and America a bit for their support of erdo as a figurehead for moderate Islam. He wouldn't have gotten this far without their tacit support , which lasted until gezi more or less. It can be argued that tge emergence of erdo can be attributed to the 1980 coup, which some claim was supported by the USA as a gladio thingy.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

hakimashou posted:

We should have shot down his plane during that coup if we didn't want this to happen.

There's no point in hand-wringing about it now.

I waited the whole night for that to happen

cancelope has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

Turks in Europe are statistically more likely to be poorly educated and highly religious, and also highly nationalist (last 2 are in reaction to their environment kinda). Turks in those other places tend to be wealthier, better educated, probably not living in those places for life, and they have a clearer picture of religious/nationalist authoritarianism from where they stand.

• Locked thread