Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Something Awful Turkish Referendum Straw Poll
Evet
Hayir
View Results

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

considering that democracy is officially dead in turkey, it's a moot point

The Turkish Republic never really functioned as such. Ataturk's legacy isn't creating a republic, it was managing to avoid colonial rule.

Now they have Islamist Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Brother Friendship posted:

Erdogan is the Turkish Trump, didn't you read the manual? He's terrible at everything except destroying his country :lol:

I'll meet you halfway on this. Erdogan has Trumplike tendencies and basically sucks, but Trump will leave office in 4 or 8 years, or sooner if he gets really bored. Erdogan (like Putin) isn't going anywhere without major bloodshed.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Alienwarehouse posted:

So this referendum pretty much confirms that Erdogan's rhetoric about joining the EU was all bullshit, right?

For sure.

But to be fair, the EU was bullshitting that they'd ever let Turkey join. I guess part of the appeal of authoritarians is that they cut through the (neo)liberal bullshit.

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've heard the term "illiberal democracy" thrown around regarding Turkey, but now it looks like it's not gonna even be all that democratic. so yeah, it'll be Russia with a "moderate islamist" bent

they are for some justice and development

Its such a great name for a party that wants to jail or disappear all opposition, and "develop" economically along Russian lines and socially along Saudi lines.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

hakimashou posted:

We should have shot down his plane during that coup if we didn't want this to happen.

There's no point in hand-wringing about it now.

Western powers backing a Sunni authoritarian?!

• Locked thread