Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its very divisive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

that wasn't true of EoE either btw
yeah I didn't want to draw that comparison before he watched it, but I feel pretty much identically about eoe and rebellion. they're both insanely good epilogues that mesh perfectly with the endings of their series

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I don't suppose they've said anything more concrete than this concept trailer, have they? Any formal "hey we're working on a thing and hope to be done by ____?"
no, they've just alluded to it being the trailer for a new madoka project. its not widely released either, it was just part of a shaft anniversary exhibit. that vid is the first time I've even seen it on youtube, and its just because someone uploaded it a couple weeks ago for an april fools joke

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not everything has to have a message or moral backing, and its not like the original series has a particularly inspiring message at the end. homura definitely didn't think so

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kill yourself and all your problems will go away -kaname madoka

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://youtu.be/j4VGJmgeyCc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Feels as much like a conflict between Madoka and Homura, don't you think? The movie isn't exactly subtle about how brutally hurtful Homura's actions are to her, and I got kinda love-slavey vibes off of some of the ballerina stuff in that concept trailer too. It'd be easier to talk myself into rooting for Homura's side if she were trading various lives for a genuinely happy Madoka - and indeed that's what she spent most of the show trying to do - but the movie gave me every sense that Homura's eventually going to destroy Madoka out of her own selfishness. Hard to root for that, and a story that ends with that seemingly on track...Well, for what it's worth that would give the movie something to say that the show didn't, at least not to the same extent. Even if it's definitely not my preferred tone.
what we're trying to say though, is that homura doesn't need you to root for her. the things she did, she didn't do them out of the kindness of her heart or any kind of heroic ambition, it was the same selfish motivations that she had through the whole series, all she has ever wanted was to do, from episode 1, was protect madoka from herself and be able to live with her again in the same world. you can disagree with that and you can believe her relationship with madoka to be unhealthy, but those are her motivations

also realize, that the world that homura creates isn't a return to the status quo, she realized the world from her dream as a witch where madoka or any other magical girl doesn't have to die for the sake of others anymore. madoka very explicitly created a world where magical girls still sacrificed themselves, and if she had the choice to do it again she probably would, because that's what she believes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sayaka and nagisa were there, and were just Cool Girls instead of being bffs with god

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also I forgot what nagisa's wish was lol
Wish: Unconfirmed. Puella Magi Production Note suggests it was for "one single cheesecake".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like at this point we're down to a mix of confusion over precisely how some of the magic bullshit works when and just my own preference for more aspirational stories. As I saw it, Madoka's wish hurt those around her way less than Homura's did, but if I just completely whiffed on precisely what happened in the ending, and The Law Of Cycles or some equivalent still exists in HomuraLand and dead/exhausted Magical Girls aren't actually condemned to something objectively way worse than what they had waiting for them in MadokaLand, that changes things quite a bit.
I mean, its not explicit, but based on what we have to go on a lot of people are better off. madoka is a girl again, sayaka and nagisa aren't freakin dead, but also kyousuke's hand isn't hosed up, and also kyouko goes to their school now and gets to hang with the girls. its pretty much the evangelion skit where it briefly becomes a romantic comedy and everyone's happy. and as said, she left some element of madoka's wish intact

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

summoning satan into the universe is pretty apocalyptic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/XavierWoodsPhD/status/850167750928543744

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its hard for me to look at johnny quest now and not see venture bros

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

At the top of the hour (10PM Eastern) the Saturday Wheel of Anime spins again. Another mystery of the wheel will reveal itself...

https://cytu.be/r/wheelofanime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the legendary pineapple diet..

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

El Burbo posted:

pleae gift me hentai games, ironically of course
Done.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Wheel Of Anime Will Be Stopping, Momentarily.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

holy crap... its finally happening...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its 2017 and i'm finally watching munto...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Minesweep posted:

this anime season looks pretty bad guys, the little witch academia might be OK but i dont care to find out

also nite crew i just set a new personal best for longest fart
how long was it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Minesweep posted:

6 or 7 seconds
haha better luck next time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

i can't believe i missed this
it was worth the wait, imo. munto is like if makoto shinkai directed a kyoani show

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

munto isn't real
it is. and now that its finally landed on munto, and also no one came so I had to watch munto by myself, I can finally retire the wheel

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

My D&D session was fun. It was the first time in half a year that this group had managed to get together, so it was a bit rough at the start, but we got into it, and it was cool. Then one player fixated on a bridge for some reason, insisting that we destroy it for no good reason for a half hour straight, and the evening ended in acrimony.

:sigh:

Well, "acrimony" is putting it too strongly, but it definitely ended the night.
why didn't you just destroy the dang bridge

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Because we were in the middle of a challenging combat, and had no good way to do it besides!
cast fireball at the bridge, imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Sorry I'm only useful for lore related questions
[record scratch] hector's a secondary??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i shouldn't have posted while trying to think of a name for my tree of savior character, cause now i'm Touhou Secondary :whitewater:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Erg posted:

Tree of Savior is all about hats so it works
i only have 1 hat and it makes me look more like a fate secondary

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status/851213451217313792

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

happy gundam day

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

for chili songs that all the kids are into, check out the sonic adventure ost

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah i use a ʎʇɹǝʍb keyboard layout, whats the big d

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thanks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cool funko

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what's up my n-words [said to my shelf of nendoroids, including Ishtar from Macross II: Lovers Again]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you're one of the good ones, wakko

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

come get me when there's a freakazoid one
I got you, fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007