Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched Tekkonkinkreet last night and it was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I finally finished the last two Cowboy Bebop episodes. Up until the music kicked in as Spike left the Bebop I was pretty sure it was going to be a happy ending because I'd bought the film which meant their must be after the show. As Spike was going up the elevator I realised Ed and Ein never came back and they were on the film's Blu-Ray cover. It was only then that I realised the film must be a spin-off of some random adventure they had at some point rather than a sequel. Then I remembered that Champloo had a pretty sad ending too and I realised my emotions were about to be hosed.

Is the film good?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am watching Hellsing Ultimate and it's so loving dumb and gory. It's great.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I used to read/watch Naruto and stopped reading it at some point during the Great Ninja War feeling like I was too old and mature for it, I think I was 19 or so at the time. Last year I got the itch to just rewatch Gaara VS Rock Lee and enjoyed it so much I ended up watching the pre-skip anime and it was actually really great fun. I started watching Shippuden tonight (I have a filler guide open!) and I heard the ending is pretty bad where they fight the god of Chakra or w/e but so far it's smashing. I really like that Gaara became an insanely chill bro.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Endorph posted:

the ninja war arc sucks but the final sasuke vs naruto fight is insanely good

That's good to hear! The original series had some really nice fluid animations that I was surprised by for example the short fight between Orochimaru and Sasuke in the Chunin exam. Naruto and Sasuke's first fight at the Valley of the End was incredibly good and is still one of my favourite animated fights and stands head and shoulders above anything else in the series so far. Naruto punching Sasuke so hard into the water a vacuum was left behind ruled and the super Shadow Clone chain whipping Sasuke around also ruled. So I'm very glad to hear the climax of that narrative is badass.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Deidara's method of beating Gaara. I remembered it being that Gaara had to defend the village but actually that was only part of it. Deidara had a really smart plan that turned Gaara's Ultimate Defence into a weakness and it was a really satisfying win.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello, pals, I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I saw the Tekkonkreet film and loved it so I bought the manga with some birthday money. It arrived today and reads left to right instead of right to left like I'm used to. I assumed the publisher just did a simple image flip but all the pictures with drawn text etc. are still the correct way around. Then I theorised that maybe they just swapped panels from side to side but then I realised that would mean the text boxes would still have to be read right to left but they are also correctly flipped. Any thoughts on how they did this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a kitten posted:

Here's a look at how they localised the Akira manga the first time that might offer some insight.
https://www.comicsgrid.com/articles/10.16995/cg.59/

Good god, what a lot of extra work went into this stuff back in the day.

This is a super interesting article and I suspect it's the correct answer, thanks so much! I'm trying to work out when it was first translated by VIZ here because normally they don't mirror and it seems like a recent translation. Weird!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

It was first localised as 'Black & White' in Viz's long defunct Pulp magazine in the early 2000's when flipped manga was the norm.

Extremely late thanks for this info!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm just finishing up the end of the first season of Stand Alone Complex and it's extremely good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just finished it and it was supremely good though the ending was a little weak in execution. Aramaki's scheme was fine and good but the way it was hidden from the viewer was pretty lazy because it relied on "oh just after what we showed you he said all this too". I was going to watch the OVA for The Laughing Man even though it's the same story but it's literally just the [C] episodes back to back with recast voice actors for some reason (in the dub at least). Starting Individual Eleven now and it seems like it'll be an interesting season.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Netflix live Death Note spurred me to watch the original anime. I watched it when it was airing originally but dropped it when L died. I watched a bit past that but then it became clear it wasn't a ruse by L and they just replaced him with Near(?). He just seemed like a less good version of the same character. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did when I was 16 or so and a lot of the cool moments are still cool now. I remember my stomach dropping during the "why do you Leto starting at your watch?" scene so I hope it still has that oomph this time around.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I can't remember huge amounts of how Light out maneuvers L but I remember being dissatisfied. Lights plan to forget things etc. is great but considering he had all the knowledge of Death Notes he just had such an advantage. When I was a teen I thought that way too and now right from the start it's obviously he's a ruthless poo poo immediately. In the episode I just watched L says Kira has a child's understanding of morality and it nailed exactly how I'm feeling.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stexils posted:

yeah the whole thing with near felt like the author wrote themselves into a corner and that was how they got out of it. there are also complaints that light becomes an rear end in a top hat but i never got that because he was obviously a ruthless sociopath from the beginning, scenes like that one make it extremely clear.

I'm home from work so I'm going to respond to this with a few more expanded thoughts :shobon:

When I was younger I think I had the default assumption that he was the hero because he was the main character and he slowly became more and more twisted whereas now it's super clear he is a psychopath from the start. He kills people hunting him immediately without hesitation. It struck me as I was walking home that Roy Penber the FBI agent is the most screwed person. Light makes him kill his colleagues by writing in the Death Note but he doesn't know he killed them so that's not the problem. Ryuk tells us using a Death Note means you can neither go to heaven or hell so Penber's soul is screwed over simply because he hunted Kira. The writing feels very clever however I am watching it multiple episodes at a time and i am very dumb so maybe it's just good at seeming smart. However it feels like the deductions make sense as well as how Light experiments with the rules and how he applies them in interesting ways. Considering I know what's happening later there are things that seem like Light really benefits from providence e.g. Misa when L is clearly better :saddowns:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Higashimura was on Ursawa's (Monster, Pluto) show where he goes to visits other mangaka and sees how they draw. In the episode she's drawing that manga among other things.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m4fvy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The one with the author of I Am A Hero is my favorite. The Higashima one is great because Urasawa is so impressed with her speed. The Fujita episode is good too because that guy does the roughest drafts ever then straight into inks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stexils posted:

misa isn't beneficial for light, shes introduced to specifically handicap light and throw a wrench into his plans because otherwise he would have too much of an advantage over L. she gets herself caught through her own incompetence and he has to bail her out without killing her because of her shinigami. i dont think she herself actually manages to help light a single time in the entire show.

That's fair, I googled and it aired 11 years ago so I was 15 an my memory is pretty hazy. I don't remember so much how things happen so much as I remember specific scenes and events like Light restoring his memory to kill L, Misa getting the eyes but then blackbagged by L before she can reveal it, Near being introduced but then pretty quickly there's a riot outside his building, a guy called Mellow(?) who might be a baddy, Light's dad having a heart attack, L freaking Light out when he shows up to do exams, L and Light wrassling after being chained together because L is always so sus of Light. I think in my head I was like "well he meets a girl with another Death Note and friendly Death God so that must have been a huge boon" but forgetting the actual details. I'm super hype to watch more though and I'm actually excited to see what happens after the "just according to keikaku" events as opposed to being put off like last time. the "why do you keep checking your watch" episode was loving great even now, the moment he snares her leading up to that moment was so loving rough.

also I just saw this on twitter lol

https://twitter.com/avpdrey/status/901609893840478209

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I always direct link images from other sites if it's a bigger site that gets way more traffic than SA. I think websites prevent hotlinking so I pop it on imgur in that case.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm watching the Shippuden dub even though apparently it gets really bad at the end with the god of chakra and whatever. Is Boruto good if I watch it afterwards?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought the anime was seasonal? Also I'm guessing anime over manga then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aurora posted:

naruto is good

:yeah:

I am still salty Gaara lost but Deidara's plan was pretty smart.

• Locked thread