Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I love the effort that the gabdrop translator put into it, but there were some really weird overly-localized things. "Hit a homer, why don't you" comes to mind.

Also the frequent shoehorning of angel/devil related phrases that weren't in the original text.

The translator was obviously trying to make it a fun translation, but maybe they were trying a bit too hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Missing Name posted:

Recommend a thing to watch

The sunrise.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Help chat thread, I can't decide which waifu I want to marry in Stardew Valley.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Leah? Yeah, she seems cool.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I think I messed up by giving her a geode though.

Note to self: Girls do not like geodes.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm a geologist. Can refute: cool girls like geodes.

Well admittedly it is a pretty lovely gift in the world of Stardew Valley.

"Here's a round rock. It might contain a sweet mineral, or it might contain three pieces of coal. Please pay 25 gold to your local blacksmith to find out."

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

its not really recurring. there are like three cut-in gags where the big-boobed dragon absentmindedly smothers the kid with her boobs but theyre like 10 seconds long and stupid. also the other elementary school kid continues to have a crush on the girl dragon but it just becomes a tired gag not really too weird. the supporting cast stuff is all pretty lacking except maybe fafnir and his otaku friend

Yeah, the contrast between the main cast and the supporting characters is pretty stark. The worst one is Elma, who shows up two thirds into the season and then proceeds to do absolutely nothing, and whose entire character can be summed up as "likes food".

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

homeless snail posted:

if you use flash player in 2017, I am going to hack your computer and brutally destroy you

Please destroy Crunchyroll.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm watching Hanasaku Iroha, and it's good so far. It doesn't really feel like the same genre as Shirobako and Sakura Quest, since it's much more SOL-focused and the main cast are all kids, but it's a nice mix of comedy and drama with a large and varied cast, and the art is really pretty in places.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

God it's really gorgeous when it's trying to be too

In every episode so far (five or six episodes in), there's been at least one shot that really caught me off guard. Like when they're talking about the lanterns, and suddenly there's a nighttime shot of a trail of lights climbing the mountain and then rising into the sky... They didn't have to create that shot, since it is not part of the plot, but they did anyway. I just now learned that this was their 10th anniversary project, and it's shots like that one that really make it feel like a labor of love.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I will say it's a good bit disheartening being dismissed out of hand by the same dickish friend literally every time.

I try to play music as we hang out, she always unplugs my phone. When she's not there, my music plays and everyone enjoys it just fine.

People want suggestions for movie night, no one has any ideas. I suggest a ghibli movie - I'm sure everyone will like it. Who doesn't like ghibli movies? Even my parents like ghibli movies. Nope, complete, laughing dismissal.
Tfw one of your friends is a jerk.

she's just being tsundere

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

RME posted:

free grape-kun

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

El Burbo posted:

Why is this allowed

What happened to Zoglin anyway? I haven't seen him post in months.

Anyway, I'm going to take a break from Dansan Joshi once I'm done with volume 3, and City's high on the list of stuff I'd like to work on, so I might take a stab at it soon-ish.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

First episode of Sora No Woto/Sound Of The Sky was extremely good, will definitely be watching more. It's got a tone that's a little tough to describe but is 100 percent my kind of poo poo.

It's really good.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Oh you mean the one with the cute girls

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Uggghhh, so I spent the last two weeks translating Arawi Keiichi's CITY, 'cause it seems like zoglin has dropped of the face off the earth, and the manga's way too good to go untranslated.

So finally I'm almost done with chapter 2, and I go to bookmark the comic's page on batoto so I can upload it tomorrow, and it turns out someone else uploaded the exact same chapter less than 24 hours ago. Nine months since the last update, and I get beaten to the punch by one day.

The worst thing is that the other group's version is way better than mine. I don't know where they got their scans, but they're much better than the e-book I got off Amazon, and they clearly put a lot of effort into redrawing and typesetting.

So uh, suggest another project, I guess? Or I could go back to Dansan Joshi.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Polsy posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from buying manga on iTunes, it's that legal digital scans are likely to not be very good, and you or someone else needs to get it off paper where practical.

The CITY scans I was using would've been fine if not for the fact that they were encoded as JPGs instead of PNGs, so they were full of artifacts.

cave emperor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2017

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sharkopath posted:

Renjou Desperado is still untouched.

Knorth posted:

Oh oh, one of the Daisuke Igarashi works that haven't been translated yet like Sekai no Sugata o Kanjiru Mamani, Ten to Ji no Houteishiki or Kyou no Ani Imouto

GorfZaplen posted:

I have a whole stack of raws to choose from. Kouya no Shounen Isamu, Game Center Arashi, Battle Wolf Janki, pick your poison

Mentat Radnor posted:

It's a drat shame that no one has been translating Yukibana no Tora even though I think there are raws for the first 4 volumes. It's historical seinen by Akiko Higashimura (Kuragehime, Kakukaku Shikajika) and the art looks great but I have no idea what the plot is.

I'm going to check out all of these, thanks.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Vargatron posted:

Is Haganai worth watching or does it descend into faux-incest poo poo by Ep4?

I've got a Funimation sub and I'm trying to find a comedy.

it's a really boring and generic harm show, also it's not funny

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I've always wondered, how do idol audiences coordinate their various shouts and glowstick colors and gestures? Are there like YouTube videos explaining what to shout when during what songs? And if so, who decides these things?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Dangerous Person posted:

I've been watching Hanasaku Iroha. It's alright but what I would really like is a version without the author character

His part is super minor after the first arc.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

...of poo poo

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Erg posted:

file names aren't allowed to have spaces you goober

welcome to the 21st century

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

hot gimmick account spotted

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Space Flower posted:

it is just announced as tentative 'new konosuba anime project' thus far

animated konosuba pachinko machine

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Space Flower posted:

centaur has worries

That shot was messed up because the bandage just sort of fades in a second after she hit her head.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

awww

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

By me, I'm the person who's translating it. AMA

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Yes to all of the above.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

Are you really? Awesome, thank you!

I don't really have any questions to ask rn, just glad you picked it up and good luck with it :)

Were you the one who posted it in this thread a week ago? Cause if so, you should thank yourself.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

More chapters, and competing scans!

Yeah, that came kind of out of nowhere. I'm probably going to drop it now, doing redundant work is super demotivating.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

anyway:

the film's absolutely well shot

counterpoint: dutch angles everywhere

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIL2RfzSmj8&t=9s

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i am so over loss dot jpeg

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

especially all the people going HOLY poo poo ITS LOSS every single time

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

well I was always taught to never download an unknown exe file but how can I say no to SSJ3 Goku?

lmao

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

it can't possibly be worse than the current crunchy player though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Space Flower posted:

Moe was, for a very long time, associated with vapid slice-of-life shows about cute girls doing cute things. The release of several Moe shows in the mid 2000s started a sort of Shōjo renaissance, leading to a flood of 'cute girls doing cute things' style shows that were, at the time, a breath of fresh air compared to the endless parade of shonen giant-robot shows and ultra-dark, increasingly contrived seinen shows. However, as these moe shows caught on with a male audience, a change began to take form.

The most noticeable immediate change was in drawing/modeling style. Compare female lead characters from the 90s and early 2000s with characters from today. Compare Black Lagoon's Levy to 2b. Compare Tifa to Pyra (or any of the female characters from Xenoblade, really). The female characters features in shonen and seinen media have grown more exaggeratedly effeminate and adolescent while still retaining their overt sexualization. In other words, characters appear to look younger than they are while still retaining classic anime sexualization.

Yet its' not only in character inception and design that that moe sinks it's vapid, quivering tentacles. I think the much worse and more pervasive way moe has shifted characterization is in animation and how women are animated in games and anime. This is so subtle that I don't even know what to call it, but I find certain animations to be completely stomach churning. The most obvious example is when a female character is suddenly rotoscoped or animated at a much higher frame rate than male counterparts (for animators out there, when characters are drawn on 1's instead of 2's or 3's).

(from back of auditorium) oh for sure my dude

• Locked thread