Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So, season two of Attack on Titan came out today and eager to discuss the mind-blowing poo poo I just saw I spoiled myself going into the Attack on Titan thread. This is a place where we can talk spoiler free about AoT.

Rules:

Spoil tag poo poo that hasn't been shown in the anime. If you think you spot some foreshadowing and want to theorycraft as a first time view but please manga readers don't do us dirty.

Legal ways to watch:

Crunchyroll
Hulu

If I need to make this post better and add pictures and a show description or whatever just let me know or someone make a less bad OP.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I totally forgot my thoughts and questions. Derp.

I really loved the new opening and the animation was sweet. I really liked when the titans in the forest started sprinting. I can't wait to find out the secret of the titan in the wall. I can't wait to find out who the beast titan is. It's interesting to think there may be a city of human-titans out there. Also the ending was horrifying and amazing and I had no idea the episode was over until the credits.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like that they didn't gently caress around for too long to get poo poo started again, and things immediately went all to hell in that trademark Attack on Titan fashion

only 13 episodes, yes, but they look like they're gonna be PACKED

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Shouldn't that rule have a "Don't" at the start?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Shouldn't that rule have a "Don't" at the start?

I meant spoiler tag. Good catch. Thanks for making my OP less bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got to the end of the ep and went 'yeah that sure is Attack on Titan alright'.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I stopped reading the manga quite a while ago so I don't remember a lot of stuff but this episode was really good, and hopefully I don't remember why I stopped reading anytime soon.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I loved the scene where Reiner and Bertholdt are playing chess while Sasha and Connie look forlornly out the window and reminisce about home. Really great visual characterization.

EDIT: Reiner, not Jean. I don't think Jean was even in this ep, which was a bit odd

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 2, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is my favorite arc in the manga, hope you anime-watchers enjoy it. I'm the weirdo who liked the second Attack on Titan opening more than the first, and I like the third opening more than the second, so they've got a good thing going here.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Got to the end of the ep and went 'yeah that sure is Attack on Titan alright'.

:same:

It is getting a little predictable though. The author's hate boner for confident characters doesn't seem to be pointing to anything except as shock value.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Opinions: There was a dinosaur in the opening.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Izzhov posted:

EDIT: Reiner, not Jean. I don't think Jean was even in this ep, which was a bit odd

That's because he was part of the operation to capture Annie, which was happening at the same time as this episode.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's an actual link to the crunchyroll page for AoT, CR's such a mangled mess these days.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I totally forgot my thoughts and questions. Derp.

I really loved the new opening and the animation was sweet. I really liked when the titans in the forest started sprinting. I can't wait to find out the secret of the titan in the wall. I can't wait to find out who the beast titan is. It's interesting to think there may be a city of human-titans out there. Also the ending was horrifying and amazing and I had no idea the episode was over until the credits.

In regards to the Wall Titan, a small spoiler: they will not get to it this season. Maybe not next season either, if it's another 12-episode one. There's a lot to cover between now and where the manga's at, seriously. Also, "don't google anything about AoT especially not character names" still very much applies, moreso now than ever.

Terper posted:

This is my favorite arc in the manga, hope you anime-watchers enjoy it. I'm the weirdo who liked the second Attack on Titan opening more than the first, and I like the third opening more than the second, so they've got a good thing going here.
I'm more of a 2-1-3 fella. 2's real good, 1's almost as good and certainly more iconic, but I like the more bombastic nature of the second one. This third one's not really doing it for me, really just sounds like "let's try and bottle the lightning of the first OP again".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, it's true that it starts off very similar, almost a combination of the visuals and audio of the first two openings, but around 50 seconds in I feel it becomes its own thing. Sasageyo~ is super catchy, the baby's hand grasping the adult's thumb is a great shot, but it's the action scene that really stands out to me. The instruments and the acrobatics makes it seem more like a circus act, more playful and fun than anything we've seen and really brings a new kind of energy the previous openings' action scenes haven't focused on. Replay 1:04 a few times and it's actually kinda comical the way Mikasa is matched to the music (not to mention the blink and you'll miss it shot of Sasha freaking out). And once we get back to ye olde AoT chanting we have some great imagery to close it off. I legitimately love those stupid advancing giants shots.

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 2, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If an OP takes 50 seconds before nailing it though, I think it's failed. The original and second are both good all the way through. Also your link doesn't work.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't think the first 50 seconds are bad or anything, just "standard Attack on Titan OP" which is anything but bad (and a pretty deliberate way to reconnect to the audience after 4 years), and after it's done that build up what's left is strong enough to stand on its own. There are parts of the first two OPs that I feel are weak ("weak") enough that the highs of this OP makes it stand out more to me.

And the link works for me, so :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

In regards to the Wall Titan, a small spoiler: they will not get to it this season. Maybe not next season either, if it's another 12-episode one. There's a lot to cover between now and where the manga's at, seriously. Also, "don't google anything about AoT especially not character names" still very much applies, moreso now than ever

Question for the manga readers: does the comic stay good? Or I guess I should say, if I'm the type of person who really liked the first season, flaws and all, does it maintain, or does it go off the rails or start to drag? I mean, I'll stay the course regardless because the show's spiderman-sword-fighting makes for some of the coolest action in an anime but I'd like to regulate my expectations accordingly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There are reveals that will happen this season that are really, really good, and they're not even as good as some stuff later on. There's an arc that's a bit divisive, but I ultimately enjoyed it.

Also, the basement was totally worth it. Not a joke.

Also also, magilla gorilla is a faaaaaaantastic character and one of two things I was most looking forward to seeing animated, even if he might not make many appearances this season. Like seriously he might be my favorite character in the entire cast, though there's other great ones too (Jean and erwin come to mind right away).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 2, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This season in particular will cover what I think is many readers' favorite arc. There's way more action and less talky parts, and the talky parts are generally more interesting.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Mordja posted:

Question for the manga readers: does the comic stay good? Or I guess I should say, if I'm the type of person who really liked the first season, flaws and all, does it maintain, or does it go off the rails or start to drag? I mean, I'll stay the course regardless because the show's spiderman-sword-fighting makes for some of the coolest action in an anime but I'd like to regulate my expectations accordingly.

My input: I've become much less interested in the story as it goes on - but not because anything was particularly bad. Where the story goes makes enough sense in the context of the world that this story takes place in, and there's nothing that gets revealed that's so outlandish that it makes you roll your eyes or anything.

My disinterest is probably because of the nature of these mystery stories - once you know all the secrets, it's less fun. The inital draw of Attack on Titan is how loving weird the titans are and having no idea how they work. This arc is the best because it suddenly tosses a bunch of additional poo poo at you out of left field that you didn't expect, and it gets your imagination running with all these exciting theories. But, knowing the answers is never as fun as trying to guess what's happening. Once you know, that initial curiosity that brought you to the series in the first place is gone, and you're just left waiting to see how it's going to end because you've invested this much time in it already.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Freakazoid_ posted:

It is getting a little predictable though.

Oh, really? Did you predict a titan loving talking?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Izzhov posted:

I sure as gently caress didn't I figured if Annie or Eren couldn't no titan-shifter could. Is there an official name for them? I mean, I guess Eren is really stupid so it makes sense he couldn't figure out how to talk and maybe Annie just didn't.

Shame we won't find out about the wall. Will we find out about the basement this season?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Will we find out about the basement this season?

Spoilering just in case Nope. Assuming the pacing of the anime will remain consistent with how it was in the first season, the basement won't come up next season either even if it is a full 25 episodes

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well... those sure were some revelations...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The order of events felt a bit weird, but at least they didn't spend too much time on recaps (the biggest issue I had with season one)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Izzhov posted:

I was expecting that to happen at some point, because I watched OVA episode Ilse's Notebook, where a similar event happened.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
It was cool when that dude got insanely brutally owned by those titans

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who were those characters that were waiting in the house? Don't remember them

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm more of a 2-1-3 fella. 2's real good, 1's almost as good and certainly more iconic, but I like the more bombastic nature of the second one. This third one's not really doing it for me, really just sounds like "let's try and bottle the lightning of the first OP again".

Personally I love all three. I don't think 3 is trying to recapture the feel of 1. 1 was like Eren at that stage of the story, full of piss and hate, starting off super strong to get you pumped to killing some titans. A call to war, I suppose.
In contrast I feel the first part of 3 is designed to build up the tension and give more punch to the rally call in the second part. It haves you recall the events so far and asks you to dig in and keep the fight going. The lyrics (Terper's link has'em) emphasize this too. It's less about aggression and more about devotion. (Well, it literally says "devote your self, devote your heart")

(And 2 has a more triumphant tone, matching the plot as it achieved mankid's first victory.)

Oddly this time there was no german bit. 2 had a lot of german (notably the intro and the title drop), 1 had some (the intro), but this one doesn't have any, even though it does have the customary german song title.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Years back when the chapter this episode ended on came out, I made a really lovely edit because this fella reminded me of someone.

Hopefully now there is video someone can actually do it justice. I'm poo poo with video

Izzhov posted:

Didn't we already learn that? Or did the anime not include that scene with the compulsive diary-writer and the Titan who was like "sorry Ymir's people?" I know the anime re-arranged some things and changed outright others but I can't recall if that was one of them.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wait, you mean to say you don't even remember Potato Girl Sasha??

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Bertholdt, Reiner, Sasha, and Connie? They were all minor characters back in season 1.

E-flat posted:

Didn't we already learn that? Or did the anime not include that scene with the compulsive diary-writer and the Titan who was like "sorry Ymir's people?" I know the anime re-arranged some things

That was an OVA released later on a bit after the anime ended, the actual anime skipped that entirely. If anyone hasn't seen it, they should look up the Ilse's Notebook OVA.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 4, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Minor is a bit much, they're secondary characters behind eren mikasa etc but they're still fairly significant since they're part of eren's squad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i didn't have any trouble remembering the cast, although in fairness i struggled with the manga at first due to the way the author drew characters early on, and conversely i'm now going through this part of the story for a second time

but how could anyone forget the hero of the story, sasha?!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

potato girl best girl

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dropped s1 after like 6 episodes because it was Not My Bag and even I remember potato girl

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This series could use one punch man

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This series could use one punch man

There have been countless pieces of fanart and lovely crossover t-shirts depicting exactly this

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder what Mob's explosion rate would be in AoT.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Well that certainly was something. I'm excited and looking forward to the rest. I never really started reading the manga after season 1 ended, even tho I was really curious. I just, I dunno, I'm a pleb who likes when his pictures move and talk to him and do all the work for me instead of looking ugly, black/white and expecting me to READ... outrageous!

I gotta say I'm a little put off by people saying "Oh yeah that absolutely won't happen in a 12 episode season, and most likely not in the next either even if it's a full 25 episode season!"

I suppose I'm a little burned from this one taking like, what, three years to come out? I can only hope it won't be this long for every season or I'll be watching the AoT anime finale when I'm 70 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
You made your choice.

• Locked thread