Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I'll leave it up to your imagination if this is an edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Then there are his titan powers. He was injected with something, probably with something like what Ymir was injected with, but he's not just a titan, he's a titan who can control titan minds. Like Reiner said, he's the worst possible person. I don't think that's coincidence.

This is the part that interests me, because there are two possibilities, the choice of which dramatically changes what came before.
1. Anyone who got shot up with Grisha's special sauce would become the controller. This explains why it was Eren of all people who got the ability... the guy who just happened to be the son of the biochemist (or whatever you want to call him) that rediscovered titan serum.
2. Titan powers are a built-in sort of thing, and the serum is only required for the sake of unlocking the ability to shift. This means that Eren was special even before his powers manifested. If this is predictable, it would, to some degree, explain why Bert and Ernie were infected at such a young age, to capture Eren who had not yet been infected, and why things are happening NOW, after 100 years of a stalemate.

The weakness to theory 2 is something Reiner says in the most recent episode, "Of all the people who possibly could have gotten the Coordinate, it had to have been Eren. He's the worst guy in the world to have it" or something along those lines. That could potentially be resolved through some sort of weird prophecy or titan ability to know everyone else's titan abilities, but neither of those is terribly convincing.

I'm also still curious to know why Mikasa wasn't likewise subjected to Grisha's titan serum, but I can't imagine that that will ever be answered (unless she was and has just been holding back).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Nice

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Erwin speaking for the masses here

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm also still curious to know why Mikasa wasn't likewise subjected to Grisha's titan serum, but I can't imagine that that will ever be answered (unless she was and has just been holding back).

Mikasa isn't Grisha's family. If Grisha had a limited amount of serum, or wanted to be very careful with who got that power (especially if that was what gave Eren the Coordinate as well), it makes sense to exclude Mikasa and give it only to Eren. Keep the absolute power in a controlled environment...if Grisha was still around, that is.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do titans smell like?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Blood and tears

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Mikasa isn't Grisha's family. If Grisha had a limited amount of serum, or wanted to be very careful with who got that power (especially if that was what gave Eren the Coordinate as well), it makes sense to exclude Mikasa and give it only to Eren. Keep the absolute power in a controlled environment...if Grisha was still around, that is.

That theory doesn't really work for me, for a couple of reasons. 1. In one of the S1 episodes, Grisha gives a speech to Eren with regard to "Be strong for Mikasa's sake" or "Protect your sister" or something along those lines that suggests that he considers Mikasa just as much a part of the family as Eren himself. 2. If he cared about Eren so much, would he really stab him with a needle full of random poo poo he was hoping would do something awesome? He has to either have a decent supply of it, or be able to produce it, solely for the sake of testing its efficacy and dosage before he risks his son's life by shooting poison directly into his bloodstream. You only get one chance to not kill him, better make sure it's going to work.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Snuggle fabric softener.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That actually has an answer. :psyduck:

Bessatsu Magazine 2014-11 posted:

Q: Mike smells all kinds of things, how does a titan smell like?
A: The special smell of a hot spring town!

(Mike Zacharias was the squad leader from the Survey Corps that got interrogated by Moneky Trouble and then killed)

Also, hilariously,

Bessatsu Magazine 2013-11 posted:

Q: In vol. 5, Mike met Eren for the first time, and sniffed him. What did he think and felt after sniffing him?
A: Mike felt that he’s more alpha than Eren.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Kytrarewn posted:

Mikasa is a 1.7m class titan.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Mikasa certainly is special in some way. Remember her hulking out as a kid? We get the weird image of her brain and muscles zapping with titan transformation-like lightning effects and then her grip shatters a wooden knife handle and she kicks off the ground so hard she breaks the floorboard, as like an 8 year old kid.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 22, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

Mikasa certainly is special in some way. Remember her hulking out as a kid? We get the weird image of her brain and muscles zapping with titan transformation-like lightning effects and then her grip shatters a wooden knife handle and she kicks off the ground so hard she breaks the floorboard, as like an 8 year old kid.

Well, ninjas are asian, so since she's the last asian maybe it's like when there's only one ninja that makes her stronger than a hundred asians combined.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

That theory doesn't really work for me, for a couple of reasons. 1. In one of the S1 episodes, Grisha gives a speech to Eren with regard to "Be strong for Mikasa's sake" or "Protect your sister" or something along those lines that suggests that he considers Mikasa just as much a part of the family as Eren himself. 2. If he cared about Eren so much, would he really stab him with a needle full of random poo poo he was hoping would do something awesome? He has to either have a decent supply of it, or be able to produce it, solely for the sake of testing its efficacy and dosage before he risks his son's life by shooting poison directly into his bloodstream. You only get one chance to not kill him, better make sure it's going to work.

Eren would have died several times over without regeneration/turning into a Titan. Injecting him was risky, but he was pretty much facing certain death.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The first season had serious pacing issues, and this season made one of the better manga arcs even better. I hope s3 isn't a disaster like it was in the manga.

I'm on board with loving Attack on titan again.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I don't really know how you could call the next couple arcs a disaster, tbh

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I really enjoyed the pacing of this season and how it gave alot of focus on minor characters and the Titan Fights felt like watching a giant robot mma fight.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

I don't really know how you could call the next couple arcs a disaster, tbh

They were a pretty strong tonal shift and were alright. They'll be better animated I figure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Next arc is a lot more talking and a lot less Titan. Make of that what you will.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Season 3: A Talk on Titan

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

HenryEx posted:

The show becomes a real life mockumentary of people living under the threat of titans.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

The show becomes a real life mockumentary of people living under the threat of titans.

Actually it's a buddy-cop comedy starring Levi as Jackie Chan and Hannes as Chris Tucker.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

HenryEx posted:

We can't let that cringey-rear end Crunchyroll Segment get meta!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I was reading the manga chapter that had to do with the last episode of this season to see if reading the manga was actually an option for me. The writing and/or translation is pretty :downs:. Not many of the pages made sense and I was often confused about what characters were talking about. I think I'm going to stick to the anime.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Reading a mangapanda translation is your problem friend

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Green Tea Erotica posted:

We can't let that cringey-rear end Crunchyroll Segment get meta!

??? What we talking about here? I'm out of the loop, probably because I watch it on hulu.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, that's just a bad translation job. The official ones make more sense, although Crunchyroll's earliest chapter is 56, sadly.

BrainDance posted:

??? What we talking about here? I'm out of the loop, probably because I watch it on hulu.

Crunchyroll did a video series called A Talk on Titan where they discussed each episode of season 2. It was kind of cringey.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Use Crunchyroll's translation if you wanna read the manga. Recommended to use the mobile/pad reader 'cause their browser one sucks.

e: oh, didn't know that. Well ganbatte.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hahahahaha, that fan-translated page is hilarious! It's already terrible, but were you reading it left-to-right, too? That would make it even worse, as manga is read right-to-left.

If I recall correctly, the official translation is done by Kodansha Comics. Personally I buy the chapters on Amazon for $1.99 each, but the most inexpensive option is to go to Crunchyroll which has chapters 58 - 94 (latest, June 2017 chapter). The cost is $6.95 a month, and there's a free trial for new members here:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/freetrial

Most of what you can get for "free" is fan translations, and the quality of those is generally you get what you pay for.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Catalina posted:

Hahahahaha, that fan-translated page is hilarious! It's already terrible, but were you reading it left-to-right, too? That would make it even worse, as manga is read right-to-left.

If I recall correctly, the official translation is done by Kodansha Comics. Personally I buy the chapters on Amazon for $1.99 each, but the most inexpensive option is to go to Crunchyroll which has chapters 58 - 94 (latest, June 2017 chapter). The cost is $6.95 a month, and there's a free trial for new members here:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/freetrial

Most of what you can get for "free" is fan translations, and the quality of those is generally you get what you pay for.

Oh poo poo its right-to-left? Well that helps a bit.....

Here's some more banter from the same translation that frightened and confused me.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 23, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

^^^^^
I'll read it left to right for maximum hilarity enjoyment.

Hahahahahaha, that's a really funny situation. One that I'm sure most of us have been in. Here, I took some small screenshots from my copy of chapter 51 to show what the real translation looks like, to show a helpful comparison:

Catalina fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 24, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

First off, there's his temperament. Even as a child, he's a ball of rage that attacks bullies, stabs adults in cold blood, and if he'd physically been able he would have gone after the titans when they invaded the first time. At the beginning of the show he talks about the soldiers being too complacent and humans being cattle and being trapped within the walls. It's like he talks about it the way his parents would talk about it, but from what we saw of Carla I don't think it came from her. It feels like Grisha may have been pushing Eren to at least join the military without saying so.

i think that language comes from armin's parents, not eren's.

child eren is really righteous and has a Never Give Up shoenen attitude, which got mixed up with armin's "we can't be complacent with what we've got, there's so much better stuff being kept from us outside the walls" child-pseudo-philosophy stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm in the middle of watching season 2. All I want to know is, is Season 2 finished yet? As in are all the episodes available on Crunchyroll?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm in the middle of watching season 2. All I want to know is, is Season 2 finished yet? As in are all the episodes available on Crunchyroll?

Yeah, season 2 is finished and everything is up on Crunchy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, season 2 is finished and everything is up on Crunchy.

Thanks. I get the feeling that it will end on a cliffhanger and I will have to wait another three and a half years for a new season.

Why did season two take so long anyway? Time to animate or were they just waiting on the story from the manga?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks. I get the feeling that it will end on a cliffhanger and I will have to wait another three and a half years for a new season.

Why did season two take so long anyway? Time to animate or were they just waiting on the story from the manga?

Closer to latter.

But now they announced S3 for next year, and by the time that's over the manga will have either ended or be very close to it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished Season 2. Why was Ymir worshiped like a Goddess exactly? I mean it shows that she was a homeless kid and then they start treating her like a royalty.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Closer to latter.

But now they announced S3 for next year, and by the time that's over the manga will have either ended or be very close to it.

Fantastic.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finished Season 2. Why was Ymir worshiped like a Goddess exactly? I mean it shows that she was a homeless kid and then they start treating her like a royalty.

The implication is that the priest just grabbed some random kid from the streets to prop her up as a figurehead leader (this child comes from a royal lineage!) for a persecuted sect/cult.

You know, like how some monks grab a tibetan kid and announce he's the reincarnation of their departed leader.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

The implication is that the priest just grabbed some random kid from the streets to prop her up as a figurehead leader (this child comes from a royal lineage!) for a persecuted sect/cult.

You know, like how some monks grab a tibetan kid and announce he's the reincarnation of their departed leader.

I see. Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It seemed more like a cult con job so they could live in relative luxury instead of abject poverty. Mutually beneficial for the hapless Ymir and her conmen handlers.

• Locked thread