Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Man the hiatus really destroyed a large part of the audience for this show, huh? The 1st season thread would get poo poo tons of posts. I'm sure some of the reduction is due to the forums dying, but still.

Honestly I don't see a lot of people talking about it anywhere. I only knew to start watching it because a friend told me it was running again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man the hiatus really destroyed a large part of the audience for this show, huh? The 1st season thread would get poo poo tons of posts. I'm sure some of the reduction is due to the forums dying, but still.

I mean it's probably mostly the forums death tbh

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That, and also I assume most people who really wanted to know what happens next just went on to read the manga. At least that's what I did.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean it's probably mostly the forums death tbh

The jojo anime thread still gets a lot of posts, idk maybe the jojo fans stuck around this forum while all the AoT normies left.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The jojo anime thread still gets a lot of posts, idk maybe the jojo fans stuck around this forum while all the AoT normies left.

Jojo has also been running steady for years. AoT s1 came out 4 YEARS AGO. Most of the hype has died off, and its meme status has degraded significantly. There's probably not a lot of people waiting for this show.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Why'd they squander the hype after season 1 and delay season 2 for so long? Was the manga not very far along or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpartanIV posted:

Why'd they squander the hype after season 1 and delay season 2 for so long? Was the manga not very far along or what?
At the time there wasn't really a super good point to stop a full season at. Then they wound up just putting out a half season instead and called it a day, and in this case there's a good place they will definitely stop at barring horrible directing decisions. If they do another season of the same length, there's another point they will likely end at specifically. And then from then on we go straight up to the current stuff and the basement, which would likely be the finale for a fourth full length season or fifth half length season.

The advertising for the new season hasn't been very good either it seems.

It's a shame really since the series has definitely gone places since where the first anime season ended, and even explains pretty common questions such as why (minor spoiler) the enemy human titans didn't just smash the wall itself down and instead just kicked in a gate as well as The Basement, despite being the Fishman Island of AOT, being totally worth the wait and setting up some crazy potential for the future of the series.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SpartanIV posted:

Nah, at the time the manga was past where this season will probably end.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

in addition to the unreasonably long show-hobbling hiatus, each new season of jojo is fresh and unique. the first three episodes of aot have been the some of most boring of the series.

also being on crunchyroll has to limit the audience, too. most normies dont subscribe and torrents aren't accessible as they were four years ago. jojo's audience is pretty weeaboo-heavy

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

At the time there wasn't really a super good point to stop a full season at. Then they wound up just putting out a half season instead and called it a day, and in this case there's a good place they will definitely stop at barring horrible directing decisions. If they do another season of the same length, there's another point they will likely end at specifically. And then from then on we go straight up to the current stuff and the basement, which would likely be the finale for a fourth full length season or fifth half length season.

The advertising for the new season hasn't been very good either it seems.

It's a shame really since the series has definitely gone places since where the first anime season ended, and even explains pretty common questions such as why (minor spoiler) the enemy human titans didn't just smash the wall itself down and instead just kicked in a gate as well as The Basement, despite being the Fishman Island of AOT, being totally worth the wait and setting up some crazy potential for the future of the series.

Telling us that we don't get there till the hypothetical season 4 is a spoiler you know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Saagonsa posted:

That, and also I assume most people who really wanted to know what happens next just went on to read the manga. At least that's what I did.

I was going to say this, but to use Jojo as an example again some of these anime threads have been spoiled for years, so idk.

I kinda get the impression that Attack on Titan turning into this massive global cultural phenomenon was completely unexpected and they didn't know what to do other than crank out merch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

jojo also had the advantage of having a crew that made a very unique product,with their, animation color and music choices.Also each jojo arc is a self contained story, not a long continuous one. When a jojo series ends you aren't stuck in the middle.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I gotta say I find S2 confusing as gently caress so far. It's probably because I haven't rewatched S1 since it aired and haven't looked into basically anything since S1 ended, but I only vaguely recall anything beyond the major plot points.

I have no idea how any of the people we've seen so far ended up where they are at the moment, with the exception of Erens group maybe because that was the big season finale thing. I gotta admit I even have trouble remembering who is who and if I've seen them before or not. Some characters I recognize, some seem to be completely new to me but they're somehow there? It's like they appeared out of thin air or I missed like 5 episodes of poo poo in between seasons.

It all just feels very jumbled and disconnected to me. As I said, most likely a personal problem because the last time I watched or read anything to do with AoT was four years ago, but it's certainly making it harder for me to enjoy S2.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i think it would work perfectly fine if watched immediately after s1

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Basically, after finding out that Annie is a titan, the upper management thinks there may be more titans in their rookie class. So they've been de-militarized and watched carefully by armed soldiers. Eren and co are being kept separately since Eren is a major unknown factor and worth studying.

That's where things begin for season 2.

The inciting incident that breaks that new status quo was discovering that there are titans inside of Wall Maria. So now the suspected scouts have to be recruited to help scout and evacuate the endangered villages.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Here's an overview from the manga, only lacking the ruined Castle Utgard in front of the suspected, non-existent breach in Wall Rose where the two scout teams holed up for the night.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
That scene where Connie apparently hears that Titan talking to him was really creepy and well-done. Definitely my favorite part of a really good episode.

That scene also reminds me of a thing I quite like about AoT characters, is that they seem to learn from experience and make intelligent suppositions. That soldier dude who was thinking to himself was remarking how unusual it would be, that if everyone in the village evacuated, why the Titans would go to the trouble of smashing up the place, I liked a lot. It's like how in S1, when the 57th expedition started and the Female Titan was spotted, Armin reasoned to himself someone must be piloting it, and it must be an existence similar to the Armored and Colossal Titans.

It's something I can really appreciate from the characters, that they are generally able to pick up on things before the audience is explicitly shown something to be true.

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.

abraxas posted:

I gotta say I find S2 confusing as gently caress so far. It's probably because I haven't rewatched S1 since it aired and haven't looked into basically anything since S1 ended, but I only vaguely recall anything beyond the major plot points.

I have no idea how any of the people we've seen so far ended up where they are at the moment, with the exception of Erens group maybe because that was the big season finale thing. I gotta admit I even have trouble remembering who is who and if I've seen them before or not. Some characters I recognize, some seem to be completely new to me but they're somehow there? It's like they appeared out of thin air or I missed like 5 episodes of poo poo in between seasons.

It all just feels very jumbled and disconnected to me. As I said, most likely a personal problem because the last time I watched or read anything to do with AoT was four years ago, but it's certainly making it harder for me to enjoy S2.

I'm just a viewer rather than a manga reader so my explanation may not be 100% correct but I'll do my best.

The end of season 1 had Erin, Mikasa, and Armin inside the inner wall as they confronted Annie and ended up fighting her in titan form; Jean was sort of there too since he was being a decoy Erin or something, which is why we haven't really seen him in season 2. The day after Annie is captured a messenger arrives informing everyone that the outer wall got breached and Titans are coming in from the South.

We then go back in time 12 Hours to follow the rest of the new Scout Regiment Graduates who were absent from the finale of season 1. At about the same time Erin & Company are capturing the Female Titan the Scout Division, who were being kept on lockdown because of the suspicion there might be spys among their ranks, find out there are titans inside the wall. It's given a really rushed explanation, but basically they're split up into four groups and split up to evacuate nearby villages before the Titans show up and kill everyone. Since then they've caught up and are now in real time so from episode 3 on it seems to be pretty much linear timeline again.

Sasha (Potato Girl, Brown Hair) is guiding a group going North evacuating villages, but aside from the Lone Titan she fends off in episode 2 it seems like that group didn't really run into issues and she ends up returning to the Scout HQ with Erin & Company at the end of the last episode.

Connie (Small Guy, Short Hair) is guiding a group South towards his home village, the directions the titans came from. Reiner (Big Guy, Blond Hair) and Bertholdt (Quiet Guy, Black Hair) are also in the group because Reiner had promised to help Connie sneak to his village and Bertholdt is BFF with Reiner; if I'm remembering season 1 I think they were both survivors from the same Village that got hit by titans three(?) years ago when the Titans first broke through. Their group didn't run into any Titans aside from the one trapped in Connie's house, and then decided to follow the wall to try to find the breach.

Ymir (Black Haired Girl, one who claims to be only out for herself) and Krista (Small Blond Haired Girl) were a part of a group that went west. They apparently Evacuated all the villages in the area without trouble and then headed South to find the breech. They were both in the 1st season, but didn't have much screen time; and when they showed up were always together.

There was apparently a 4th team, which presumably consisted of all the background scout trainees who don't have names or lines. They presumably disappeared into the ether and will come back when new redshirts are needed.

Anyway the groups that ended up searching for the hole in the wall have now met up without finding any breech, and wound up staying in a castle overnight since they needed to rest their horses. They were awoken to a whole horde of Titans showing up and attacking, so things look pretty bleak for Connie, Reiner, Bertholdt, Ymir, and Krista given that they don't have any gear. They have a few soldiers with them (I think the group leaders names are Gerger and Nanaba), but those guys are even more screwed than the rookies since they're going to try to fight off a million titans by themselves.

Meanwhile Erwin, Levi, Erin, Mikasa, Armin, and possibly Sasha and Jean are a part of the main scout force group that are heading to the Castle as well, but it's unclear when they'll get there.

Anyway I hope this helps explain why the characters are where they are. There's obviously still a lot of unanswered questions like why can some of the titans talk, how did all these titans show up if there's no breach in the wall, whats the deal with Krista suddenly being important and Ymir being shady, etc...

Capn Combustible fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think it's a combination of it jumping the shark and the long hiatus. People who were casually in to it forgot about it, people who were really in to it read the manga and realised how dumb it was.

If you're going to directly compare it to JoJo, the majority of the JoJo thread are people who have read the manga and primarily are watching the anime because they enjoy the characters so are happy to see the anime's take on them. AoT is more about uncovering the mystery than the characters, so once you know what happens there's not much reason to go back and see it again.

CJ fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 17, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm having fun watching with the blessing of hindsight. :shrug:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, I watched season 1 in full for the first time since getting caught up to the manga recently, and I think I liked it even more when put into the context of future events. Same thing with season 2 so far.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've been keeping up with the manga since before the anime adaptation. I still enjoy watching the animated version. I don't agree there's no reason to go back, because there's a good amount of details that gain new significance after latter revelations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I've kept up w/ the manga and the animated adaptation is super good so far.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh my GOD! I did not see that end coming. Holy poo poo this SHOW IS SO GOOD

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Recent episode:
If you can read the rune(?) language, you're a titan?

Also, the titan that Ymir turned into looked like the one from Reiner's flashback.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad AoT is back to remind be that the disgust centre of my brain still works after years of being desensitised.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I really hope Attack on Titan turns into Titan Squad.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I kind of assumed that was going to happen because of her name.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ugh, I'm watching season 2 as a group with friends, and they decided to wait until all 12 episodes are out, because that's how we watched the first season, and they don't want the suspense of not being able to go to the next episode immediately. I've read up to chapter 70 of the manga (the end of the Uprising arc. And it is loving killing me not being able to see their reactions to this part of the story. The ending of this episode is one of the best :tviv: moments in the whole drat series.

Thank you, Goons, for providing me with some reactions. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to lurking and keeping my mouth shut so I don't accidentally spoil anything that I know.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Brutakas posted:

Recent episode:
If you can read the rune(?) language, you're a titan?

Also, the titan that Ymir turned into looked like the one from Reiner's flashback.

I assumed that language predates the walls/is from outside the walls, so it's an indication that Ymir knows more than the others in one way or another.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't think of another explanation about that language other than it's an ancient one from before the walls. However, there's no way any canned goods are going to last 100 years, so I wonder if someone or some group is smuggling in goods from outside the wall.

Why would anyone do that though?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SpartanIV posted:

I can't think of another explanation about that language other than it's an ancient one from before the walls. However, there's no way any canned goods are going to last 100 years, so I wonder if someone or some group is smuggling in goods from outside the wall.

Why would anyone do that though?

At this point I'm leaning towards the Beast Titan being an actual person like Ymir and Eren and Annie. Maybe there's a little squad of them and that was one of their bases when they were in human form?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm guessing the author is a fan of Hot Shots 2, huh?

EDIT: Couldn't find a better video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxzfMewASw&t=2657s

EDIT2: There's no way I'm reading this thread since it seems the majority has already read the manga. and I'd prefer to be spoiler- and "speculation"-free.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 23, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I remember thinking this when I was reading the manga, but I really love how poo poo keeps happening in this part of the story. I was kind of afraid that the anime would slow things down with constant flashbacks and hogwash like that but, NOPE, just non-stop poo poo-happening

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My theory at the moment is that: Ymir is from beyond the walls. One of the OVA's has a Titan talking about a "Ymir" and judging by how the Beast Titan didn't know about 3d maneuver gear and that he's retreating over the wall he could only come from outside of it I think. I'm betting that Ymir is the same. There may be a whole society of Titan shifters out there.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Nephthys posted:

My theory at the moment is that: Ymir is from beyond the walls. One of the OVA's has a Titan talking about a "Ymir" and judging by how the Beast Titan didn't know about 3d maneuver gear and that he's retreating over the wall he could only come from outside of it I think. I'm betting that Ymir is the same. There may be a whole society of Titan shifters out there.

Oh, he was retreating? I thought he was going deeper in.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
No he's definitely escaping. The castle they're in is right next to the wall they're checking for a hole, which is the outer wall.

At this point I definitely think there are at least 3 groups of titan shifters and that they are not working together. Possibly more. First you have the beast titan group, who are not aware of how the OMD gear works and want a sample. Second you have the group that is comprised of the armored titan, giant titan, and the female titan, which have been living within the walls at least some time and have access to OMD gear without needing to make a scene to steal it. Finally, you have Ymir and probably some of her allies somewhere. Eren is the exception to the others in that his father learned/was part of one of the groups and titanification process and used the serum on Eren. What I think is interesting is that there are different "types" of titans. The beast titan is part beast, while the wall breaker titans had tons of exposed muscle. Finally you have Ymir and Eren who are pretty "normal" looking by titan standards. It could be there are different methods or syrum recipes for titanification used by the different groups.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 24, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Despite having more questions than answers, it's starting to feel like titanism has always been a biological weapon. We're just witnessing the fallout of a century old war.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
When exactly did Levi get 'injured'? Was it in the forest with Annie, when he sprained his ankle saving Eren's rear end or some time else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

When exactly did Levi get 'injured'? Was it in the forest with Annie, when he sprained his ankle saving Eren's rear end or some time else

Yeah, it was when he hurt his ankle when fighting Annie. This is all taking place like the day after Annie was defeated, where he was still injured from fighting her in the forest.

• Locked thread