Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Gonna be honest, I was a little disappointed the beast titan wasn't chucking horses at the tower instead. Dude seems to just hate horses for some reason. Based on the opening, also looking forward to seeing him summon a whale, a giraffe and a dinosaur apparently. Over the 4 drat years since the last season I absorbed a vague awareness of some of these plot twists but not enough to rob them of their impact so far.

And thanks for the flashback to Blood-C, guys. Turns out that's actually painful to watch when you give a poo poo about any of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm really impressed how fast season 2 is moving. Getting the castle utgarde arc (and the next arc) done in 12 episodes is exactly how it should be. A lot of on-going mangas do a chapter per arc and it just doesn't translate well to moving picture. I cringe at the one piece anime's pacing and, while I crave extra episodes, I'm so glad Attack on Titan is taking the time to condense the paper version to a proper show.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think they're doing alright, everything is moving along and not spending a ton of time on recaps/filler like season one did

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm also liking the supporting cast from S1 who had barely any screentime (Christa and Ymir in particular) getting a lot more development, and it's a nice touch of keeping the whole Annie disaster just hours earlier completely separate from the bunch that got stuck at the castle. Connie still thinks her a comrade.

Granted, it's not like they have any way of knowing at the moment, but it's just nice to know a whole world of stuff is going on that the main trio don't really have any involvement in, at least not yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So there's no breach in the walls and yet there are a shittonne of titans.

Is it unreasonable to think that the titans came from within the walls?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
After watching a clip from last season, I overlooked a small detail that might be relevant to this week's episode.

In episode 23, when Annie is confronted at the mouth of the tunnel, she mentions "I failed to become a warrior."

As we saw in this week's episode, Reiner said to Conny that saving his rear end was "the normal thing to do. Because we're soldiers.", followed a moment later by Bertholdt saying, "No... In the past, Reiner was more of a warrior."

That probably means Bertholdt is a titan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So there's no breach in the walls and yet there are a shittonne of titans.

Is it unreasonable to think that the titans came from within the walls?

If your working theory isn't "the humans inside the walls turned into titans" by now then you've not been watching the show. The show may not have been explicit about it, but it's been nudging and winking in that direction ever since Sasha got to the village where she saved the little girl.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

We still don't know why some titans can move at night, do we?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

In any anime that has established rules, those rules are there just to be broken.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Maera Sior posted:

Moonlight, maybe?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Moonlight, maybe?

But then there was Ymir in the blizzard. Maybe their batteries are usually running low by the time the sun goes down?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah that's the stuff.

Also, good job Eren (finally) and congratulations to Christa and Ymir on their upcoming nuptial.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
drat that was a good episode.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I don't feel interested in Christa and whatever is going on with her but it was cool when titans were killing or being killed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I don't feel interested in Christa and whatever is going on with her but it was cool when titans were killing or being killed.

She is possibly the best character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the part of christa im interested in is the part where she makes out with ymir

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
put that in tags next time please!!!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Endorph posted:

Ymir's account spotted.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Endorph posted:

Not if Reiner has anything to say about it!

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Something Eren said in this episode stood out to me, he was celebrating his first titan kill. I never thought about it before but was that really his first titan kill using ODM gear? The poor guy spends years of his life training to fight only to get constantly sidelined.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 30, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hommando posted:

Something Eren said in this episode stood out to me, he was celebrating his first titan kill. I never thought about it before but was that really his first titan kill using ODM gear? The poor guy spends years of his life training to fight only to get constantly sidelined.

Yeah that surprised me too, but thinking back on it I think that's right.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I totally forgot about it in the middle of all the other stuff but that was a nice touch. Poor Eren spent so much time being a titan he never got to use the cool toys.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
He also hosed up the landing which was hilarious. You know if not for his ability he'd be back home sweeping floors.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
So is Ymir dead or sleeping or what?

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

He also hosed up the landing which was hilarious. You know if not for his ability he'd be back home sweeping floors.

Well, no, if not for his ability he'd be super dead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
He did almost get a killshot on the colossal if not for the fact it dematerialized in front of him. Eren is plenty talented, he just has a habit of loving up under pressure.

It's the biggest argument against accusations of the series being fascist apologia. It keeps emasculating and belittling Eren. Even total badasses like Levi are poncy clean freaks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some spoilers were here...no spoilers!!! - matoi

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 30, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think you got the anime and manga threads confused.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 30, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So is Ymir dead or sleeping or what?

No, she just lost an arm and a leg, but remember that Eren survived being maimed a few times now, like how his teeth grew back after Levi kicked the poo poo out of him in his court martial.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sorry got mixed up. Apologies.

GiantDutchman
Dec 14, 2013
I'm really enjoying how creepy they made the end credits.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

No, she just lost an arm and a leg, but remember that Eren survived being maimed a few times now, like how his teeth grew back after Levi kicked the poo poo out of him in his court martial.

She also had some guts hanging out. She might have been pushed too hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

:vince:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I keep on having late-night thoughts about Attack on Titan, but I can never remember them the next day.

However, here's something that bothers me. Ymir reads the can of herring and the audience and Reiner cannot. What's that exchange of looks? He doesn't know she's a titan, so it's not an "I'm onto you"/"I'm gong to kill you if you tell anyone" exchange. In fact, she seems rather blase about the can when she finds it and tosses it over, so does she not know that other people can't read it? Does she not care if people consider her suspicious? Is she testing Reiner and her glare is the "I find you suspicious" one in the exchange?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
the answer, my friend, is in the basement

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I keep on having late-night thoughts about Attack on Titan, but I can never remember them the next day.

However, here's something that bothers me. Ymir reads the can of herring and the audience and Reiner cannot. What's that exchange of looks? He doesn't know she's a titan, so it's not an "I'm onto you"/"I'm gong to kill you if you tell anyone" exchange. In fact, she seems rather blase about the can when she finds it and tosses it over, so does she not know that other people can't read it? Does she not care if people consider her suspicious? Is she testing Reiner and her glare is the "I find you suspicious" one in the exchange?

I think Reiner was suspicious because she could read a foreign language, and as far as we can tell there's only one language within the walls. Ymir I guess didn't realize it wasn't the common language when she read it. Presumably, for Ymir, her ancesty/people was meant to be a secret, but she unintentionally revealed it. I'm speculating that she might have come from a group of people who are entirely aware of humans' ability to transform into titans and are capable of controlling it to some extent, which explains why they wouldn't want to reveal that.

They were about to argue over it, but HOLY gently caress THERE'S TITANS.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I think Reiner was suspicious because she could read a foreign language, and as far as we can tell there's only one language within the walls. Ymir I guess didn't realize it wasn't the common language when she read it. Presumably, for Ymir, her ancesty/people was meant to be a secret, but she unintentionally revealed it. I'm speculating that she might have come from a group of people who are entirely aware of humans' ability to transform into titans and are capable of controlling it to some extent, which explains why they wouldn't want to reveal that.

They were about to argue over it, but HOLY gently caress THERE'S TITANS.

Yeah, he was surprised because she unintentionally revealed that she's from outside the walls (the language has to be from outside, with everything unknown being forbidden), but why did she glare at him? Was he not supposed to say that?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I figured that was her "the jig is up" look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can't talk about it myself (yet) but please do continue to speculate.

• Locked thread