Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Colossal Titan wasn't hand drawn at all, it was CGI all the way. The armored titan was the one who was hand drawn. Honestly this is what made it weird for me, that one was CGI and the other wasn't in the same scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like I said, that is totally something they'd fix for the blurays.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
How was the quality of the blurays for the first season? I remember the animation really becoming crappy at parts due to time constraints.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nephthys posted:

3. Ymir ate Reiner and Berts friend. This is probably the reason she's a pariah. She may have lost control when in Titan form and stumbled across them without knowing about them and then got banished for it, being exiled to the human world.

A small detail which may or may not support this: The titan in Reiner's flashback is slightly different than what we see of Ymir now. Flashback Ymir had typical titan teeth and looked more emaciated, whereas titan Ymir had sharp teeth and more defined musculature. There's just enough difference here to suspect it was a different (perhaps related) titan, but that doesn't rule out the possibility Ymir spent time as an uncontrolled titan.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Any chance you have it bookmarked?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416034&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post407560601

This was the earliest accurate speculation in the manga thread (page 37 is where the corresponding manga chapter drops so obviously don't click more than a few pages past that if you're anime-only)

A lot of the foreshadowing discussed there was kept in the anime I think

Elotana fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 7, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Elotana posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416034&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post407560601

This was the earliest accurate speculation in the manga thread (page 37 is where the corresponding manga chapter drops so obviously don't click more than a few pages past that if you're anime-only)

A lot of the foreshadowing discussed there was kept in the anime I think

Huh... the linked manga chapter there (Ch15, pp.9-10) is another interesting bit of subterfuge by the author of this thing. On the one hand, you show off all the characters who had seen true horror on the battle field... and then you completely make people forget about it with the "ImoOnna Incident").

I'm not sure I'm going to stay anime-only for much longer. I read that it was better to wait until after this week's reveal to start reading the manga, but I've been meaning to rewatch S1, and at that rate I might as well go through the original source looking for better hints, right?

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.
The whole flashback to Titan Ymir eating Reiner and Bertholdt's friend raises a lot of questions.

1) If the dude who got eaten was friends with them wouldn't he also have titan powers? Why didn't he (or Reiner or Bertholdt for that matter) turn into a titan to prevent being eaten? Was this before they got their powers? Is it like the problem Eren was having in season 1 where he couldn't turn into a titan at will?

2) How did they even get from their home to the walls? They had no horses or movement gear in the flashback, so what exactly was their plan for dealing with Titans along the way?

3) Why wasn't Annie with them? Well obviously that would spoil the reveal that Reiner & Bertholdt were titans as well, but it also indicates Annie probably arrived at the city separately. This makes sense since the Female titan wasn't involved in the initial attack and Annie wasn't as close with Reiner or Bertholdt as they were with each other. Kinda makes me wonder why Annie would be sent separately, and whether her mission might have been different than the others.

The other thing I want to talk about is the whole Beast Titan deal.

I remember Reiner and Bertholdt looking terrified when they were in the castle and when they saw the Beast Titan. It could have just been "what's another Titan Shifter doing here?!", but it seemed to me like they recognized it. I think the Beast Titan is from the same home as them and is higher in the totem pole based on their reactions to seeing him.

If my hypothesis is true then the fact the Beast Titan doesn't know about ODM gear confirms that Reiner & Co haven't been able to communicate anything back to their group, and are simply carrying out the mission they were given to destroy humanity; though I don't know why their plan involved waiting three years to destroy the next set of walls after the first attack. If Reiner is telling the truth then Eren's appearance changes things; but Reiner & co have no way of relaying that message, so their group would have no idea why the destruction of the 2nd wall was aborted.

Since they don't know what's going on, they send the Beast Titan in to see what's happening. If the Colossal Titan is the only one who can break the wall, then the Beast Titan's ability to climb it may be their only real option of getting inside. He takes the opportunity to retrieve some ODM gear to bring back with him, but I don't think this was his main goal. I think he wanted to create some havoc to send a message to Reiner & Company. This would explain why Reiner & Bertholdt are suddenly so eager to head home; they need to explain what happened before things escalate further.

I probably didn't need to use a spoiler since I haven't read the manga, but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Capn Combustible fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 7, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
gently caress yes, I was right about the factions. Here's what we know:
(not gonna bother spoiling since the episode's out and this is all speculation/already shown)

Titan Factions:

1) Annie, Reiner, and Bertholt's village: They come from a village of human-titans. It's not yet clear whether the village as a whole wants humanity dead, but at the very least those three do. Why? Still unclear. I am not certain that the whole village wants humanity dead since it seems clear that Ymir may have come from their village, or at least from a similar one. Going back to the scene with the canned food, my guess is that Reiner can read the label, but was surprised that Ymir could since that would indicate that she is another of his kind. I forget the exact wording and I can't seem to find the scene now but in the Ymir/Christa flashback she talks about how she's an outcast of sorts too, so it may be that she left or was forced out of the village in some way, and Reiner/Bertholdt didn't know about it. This may be related to her eating Reiner/Bertholdt's friend in that flashback. Either way, I believe those four come from the same group.

2) MONKEY TROUBLE and co.: Not much to say here other then they are a distinct faction from the previously mentioned one. Otherwise Reiner and Bertholdt would know what's going on. He' s also a very different type of titan given his ability to speak and by some unknown mechanism control the weaker titans.

3) The Wall Titans: Still no info on these guys except that they're the ones that made the walls. They may be connected to the human wall-worshiper faction.

Human Factions:

1) Bog-standard normal humans

2) Wall-worshiping humans: so their exact faction scope may be much broader than just that but at the very least we know the cult knows about it and they have a connection to the Riess noble family. Likely connected to the wall titans as well.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

Huh... the linked manga chapter there (Ch15, pp.9-10) is another interesting bit of subterfuge by the author of this thing. On the one hand, you show off all the characters who had seen true horror on the battle field... and then you completely make people forget about it with the "ImoOnna Incident").

I'm not sure I'm going to stay anime-only for much longer. I read that it was better to wait until after this week's reveal to start reading the manga, but I've been meaning to rewatch S1, and at that rate I might as well go through the original source looking for better hints, right?

I went back and read the manga from the beginning after finishing season 1 of the anime, and I really hope you end up reading the manga from the beginning like I did. With each arc that I've read, the early scenes have layered double, triple, and more meanings. For instance, in that iconic scene of The Colossal Titan looking over the wall, the first time you see it and you're like, "Holy poo poo, what is that titan?" At the end of season 1, you look and you're like, "Holy poo poo, that's a mega-titan most likely controlled by a human", and after this episode, you look at it like, Holy poo poo, that's Reiner and Bertholdt, and they're loving CHILD SOLDIERS acting under orders." Watching season 1 with friends, there are times I've had to cover my mouth with my hand during fairly innocuous looking scenes, so as not to give away that something was amiss. There are things I can't mention here, and I know people who are further along in the manga can see even more. I think there was a guy in the manga thread who was watching with friends paused right on Bertholdt's face when his friend asked, "But where has the colossal Titan been all this time?"

Also, while the anime is an incredibly good adaption (and my preferred one), there are some scenes that are manga only. Most notably, the training arc was paced very differently in the manga. The part where Eren got eaten was chapter 5 and episode 5, but in the manga, the training arc took place afterwards in a flashback, and was much longer, with more detail. Annie and Eren's relationship was more nuanced, with her being someone who trained him in hand-to-hand combat on a more regular basis., making Eren's horrified realization that the Female Titan had the same fighting style as Annie even better. And of course the bonus chapter between chapter 18 and chapter 19, Ilse's notebook, in volume 4, was made into OVA, ending very obscure for the average anime user to know existed, much less to find.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm thinking like 1% of the population has a gene that let's them become titan-shifters when they get eaten like Eren did. Maybe another percentage of the population turns into mindless titans and the majority just turn into titan poop?

I also haven't had this much fun watching an anime since Mob Psycho 100

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2017

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Like I said, that is totally something they'd fix for the blurays.

I don't think so. I feel it was active choice, they've been using CGI for a lot of titan stuff this season.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Asuron posted:

I don't think so. I feel it was active choice, they've been using CGI for a lot of titan stuff this season.

And the horse-riding.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Very few things get 'touched up' for the blurays unless it's due to severe production issues, which so far this season hasn't had. CGI is expensive so it's usually final.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

man that escalated quickly

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Demicol posted:

I was waiting for how to anime was going to do the big reveal, it was everything I was hoping for. I was watching it with a friend and he actually missed it.

Here's the scene in the manga if anyone is interested.
http://i.imgur.com/UZX2MlS.jpg
I actually think the anime version is funnier. The continued pan across as the Scouts walking on the top of the wall, like the camera hasn't figured out that there's something more important it should be covering.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

I actually think the anime version is funnier. The continued pan across as the Scouts walking on the top of the wall, like the camera hasn't figured out that there's something more important it should be covering.
Yeah, it's almost like a Robert Altman move or something. Really good.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

God drat it, I should have known this was going to happen if I broke down and watched the new opening and ending. You can't just have the Beast Titan running with a bunch of whales and dinosaurs and what-not and NOT have me want to know what that's signifying.

Brilliant bastards.

PS to anime-only users: I cannot overstate how much you should protect yourself by not googling ANYTHING. EVER. Not even a minor character's name. Finding the right volume of manga on Amazon, there were giant loving spoilers on the pictures of even the covers of the volumes, one of which made me really mad, as it was the first picture that popped up when you searched for attack on titan manga.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, can someone remind me how long ago the Titans first appeared? And when the walls were built too, for that matter.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mordja posted:

Hey, can someone remind me how long ago the Titans first appeared? And when the walls were built too, for that matter.

The titans devoured everyone and the walls were promptly put up ~107 years ago, according to early narration found in chapter 2 of the manga and probably around episode 2 of the anime too. Maybe in one of the information cards or something.

Or, 107 years ago from when they were graduating military school on the eve of the Trost attack, so the initial Colossus Titan attack was 102 years after the walls were made.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 8, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Catalina posted:

PS to anime-only users: I cannot overstate how much you should protect yourself by not googling ANYTHING. EVER. Not even a minor character's name. Finding the right volume of manga on Amazon, there were giant loving spoilers on the pictures of even the covers of the volumes, one of which made me really mad, as it was the first picture that popped up when you searched for attack on titan manga.
Are these ebooks something that can be read on a mobile device? Or pretty much just PC/10" tablet or give up?

Re: Spoilers... I've learned my lesson never to google anything. I was watching Code Geass R1 and became interested in the backstory of a certain character, and googled her because I wanted to know about her backstory, she being about the only sympathetic power-holder in the show. So, I went and googled "Euphemia li Brittania" and obviated the next 8 episodes or so for myself.

No longer do I google things like that until I'm done with a given show/manga/whatever.

EDIT: Still anime-only at this point, talking about AoT:

What do Armin and Mikasa know that we/Eren do not? It was pretty clear that they think that he's a lot more important in the grand scheme of things than we do, just like Bert and Ernie do. I know he's their buddy, and he's necessary to fix the whole in the wall or whatever (though with Ymir presumably joining the party, that importance is slightly diminished), and he's the only shifter that they can say is indisputably on their side... but the reaction to "Oh gently caress, poo poo is starting, get out of here and let us all die" seemed like a bit more than just that.

This also plays back into my suspicion that Mikasa is a shifter also- Eren's dad requested that she protect him. That the little Japanese girl who happened to be good at fighting protect the kid who could turn into an effective superweapon. Doesn't it make sense that she would have superpowers too? Granted, I guess it's possible, or even probable, that his goal in indoctrinating Mikasa was to avoid Eren having to transform himself and deal with the politics before strictly necessary, but it would be even more safe to say "OK, this is something you should never, ever do" and give her the ability. Again, though, wouldn't she have tried it during the apparent protagonist-swap in S1? Argh

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The best part about googling "Reiner Braun" for the last couple years used to be that the first results plus thumbnailed image results were just the Armored Titan. It's been fixed somehow, though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

Are these ebooks something that can be read on a mobile device? Or pretty much just PC/10" tablet or give up?

The most economical way is to pay for a month of Crunchyroll and read all the manga volumes you want. I've been able to access that from my internet browser on my PC, and they also have an android and ios app.

The ones I've been reading are ones from amazon at aproximately $8 a volume, and can be accessed by any device that can use a Kindle app...I've used android, PC, and ios for Kindle before.

Also, I've caught up with the manga now. I can say that even after 92 chapters...it's so good I ended up binge reading 23 chapters in a row. Also, in a series that slowly reveals information and leaves you on cliffhangers that end up raising 5 questions for every one they answer, I have never, NEVER been disappointed by a revelation.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Two things after rewatching season 1 and being caught up to where the anime is currently-

Part of me wonders if Reiner is making excuses to not invade again. I think he may have gotten attached to his fellow cadets more than he wants to admit. You can see this when he saves Connie and when Bertholdt says that he used to be more of a warrior afterward.

When rewatching season 1, there was a scene where Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt are standing on a roof after they run out of gas. One of them asks if they should do something and another says "not unless they're fully assembled". We don't see Ymir spend any time with them and she doesn't follow Eren around with them. I don't think they had a clue about her.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I think my favorite part about the reveal, at least the way the anime did it (I forget exactly how it plays out in the manga), is that Eren's there, hearing this but none of it seems real, like he's in some weird surreal state. But then the flag snaps off and crashes down the wall, and it completely snaps him out of it, making him think "Yes, he actually just said that".

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hey there, good lookin'

I've read the mangas so I don't have much to contribute other than:
Finally, the anime is back and it's still loving amazing with perfect cinematography that marries beautifully dramatic music with artfully composed scenes. It's crazy how much amazing effort has been put into this series in terms of not only sticking close to how the manga plays out but building upon it to make it even better. gently caress me I really hope they don't stupidly hiatus ever again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DaveKap posted:

gently caress me I really hope they don't stupidly hiatus ever again.

Well, Wit Studio have Mahou Tsukai no Yome and a second season of Kabaneri lined up, so expect at least a 3, maybe 2 year gap depending on what other projects they decide to take on.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I look forward to discussing season 3 with the other two remaining anime-only viewers :v:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SpartanIV posted:

I look forward to discussing season 3 with the other two remaining anime-only viewers :v:

See ya in three years

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, Wit Studio have Mahou Tsukai no Yome...
I'm fine with that.

E:

SpartanIV posted:

:hf:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
As much as I love the look of the show, they might be better off changing studios. I don't even know if they can at this point.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Your Monkey's Paw curls a single finger as the studio behind smash hit Berserk 2016 enters into negotiations with the current license holder.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Or they could have the Naruto studio do it so instead of having a 3 year break we get 3 years of straight filler.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Is the studio who did Attack on Titan: Junior High free?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
you guys

what's the can of herring doing in the credits?

why does it not look like herring? :ohdear:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Good catch. I missed it in the blood orgy of depravation that was the rest of those moving images.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

Good catch. I missed it in the blood orgy of depravation that was the rest of those moving images.

So if Reiner can't read it, it's not a language that's used by titans, unless they have multiple languages, which seems a bit weird given that we know that titans and humans speak the language. Alternately, he could he be lying by omission (anyone have an accurate translation of whether he can read it or whether it's merely implied?). He seems genuinely shocked, but that could be a) the realization that Ymir's from outside the walls, b) Ymir must therefore be a titan if she made it in, c) she knows another language and thus must be from a rival faction of titans (since we're looking at several now), or d) he had no idea anyone knew another language and had no idea there was another faction of titans at all.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Ymir casually reads it, forgetting nobody else could, and while the reasons for Reiner's shock can be guessed at given recent reveals, what he says is simply point out that she just read a language the people of the walls couldn't.

Which makes Ymir realize she just gave herself up as an outsider or otherwise possessing secret knowledge.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We wanted to know this for years now. How do you anime watchers feel knowing that the face of the franchise is loving Bertholt, a guy most of you forgot existed before the new season started and probably never realized did anything in the first season?

Because it gave the rest of us a bit of a headscratcher.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

We wanted to know this for years now. How do you anime watchers feel knowing that the face of the franchise is loving Bertholt, a guy most of you forgot existed before the new season started and probably never realized did anything in the first season?

Because it gave the rest of us a bit of a headscratcher.

What's to say? It's *always* the quiet ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That was one of my favorite parts, that Bert and Ernie are the two major sentient antagonists for a large portion of the series.

• Locked thread