Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh so there is a S2 anime thread! Hello everyone!

Manga reader here. I'm not very good at keeping up to date with the manga, usually reading 2-3 chapters in batches whenever I remember it exists, but the S1 anime has always been a favourite of mine.

Just dropping in to say that the Reiner/Berty reveal scene was really well done and I was super happy to see it done well as opposed to how the manga did it. The manga reveal wasn't terrible (and I actually liked how low-key it was) but the anime made it a lot more relevant how important the reveal was to everyone involved. Also Eren's bad acting is always fun to watch in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, Wit Studio have Mahou Tsukai no Yome and a second season of Kabaneri lined up, so expect at least a 3, maybe 2 year gap depending on what other projects they decide to take on.

Oh poo poo, really? Or are you just referring to the prequel OVAs? If that manga's actually getting a proper adaptation then I am incredibly excited. To google!

e: I should have known better. Oh well, hopefully the prequel OVAs spark enough interest to result in a proper adaptation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Genocyber posted:

Oh poo poo, really? Or are you just referring to the prequel OVAs? If that manga's actually getting a proper adaptation then I am incredibly excited. To google!

e: I should have known better. Oh well, hopefully the prequel OVAs spark enough interest to result in a proper adaptation.

There is literally a 24 episode adaptation scheduled for October. Feel free to get hype.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

There is literally a 24 episode adaptation scheduled for October. Feel free to get hype.

Double poo poo, I got dismayed after the initial results in my search just brought up the OVAs. Now Dorohedoro just needs an anime adaptation and my life will be complete.

Oh, uh, titan chat. Gonna agree with all of you that the way the anime adapted the reveal scene was pitch perfect. I actually looked up reaction videos of that scene and so many people either just miss it or do a massive double take, it's so good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anime only watcher here. I thought the Berthold and Reiner reveal was some kind of loyalty test that they had contrived.

Didn't think that things would be at the degree they are.

I'll probably ask what chapter to pick up the manga on once S2 is over.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that the season is going to end at chapter 50. Possibly 51. (there are currently 93 chapters)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ymir casually reads it, forgetting nobody else could, and while the reasons for Reiner's shock can be guessed at given recent reveals, what he says is simply point out that she just read a language the people of the walls couldn't.

Which makes Ymir realize she just gave herself up as an outsider or otherwise possessing secret knowledge.

You should look at my previous post, there may be a hint that changes the context of this scene.

Mordaedil posted:

We wanted to know this for years now. How do you anime watchers feel knowing that the face of the franchise is loving Bertholt, a guy most of you forgot existed before the new season started and probably never realized did anything in the first season?

Because it gave the rest of us a bit of a headscratcher.

It made sense to me, I guess? I mean, once we suspected Annie was a titan, it made sense that those two were also undercover. Yeah it's pretty weird to have your main cover baddy not be the main antagonist, but this show makes a good case for it. Someone that huge and powerful needs to be one of THE least suspecting ones.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Bertholt was always one of the huge ones, but his one notable proficiency was sweating profusely...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

MJP posted:

Anime only watcher here. I thought the Berthold and Reiner reveal was some kind of loyalty test that they had contrived.

Didn't think that things would be at the degree they are.

I'll probably ask what chapter to pick up the manga on once S2 is over.

That's the downside of the thread. Because of group participation, we got that image of Bert trying to bite his wrist from episode 4, and so there was never any doubt in my mind about what was going on. This thread has generally been pretty good, but based on things I've heard I'm going to avoid the episodic Reddit threads like the plague (even if the mods are apparently being extremely conscientious about instantly removing posts that have even the hint of a spoiler in them).

Really, the reason I'm not reading the manga is because I enjoy the thread participation, but if thread participation is going to adversely affect the experience of watching the show, it's a bit of a catch 22.

As far as my feelings on Bert being THE showcase antagonist? Well... considering that the previous episode I referred to him as "that blackhaired guy"... yeah, I was quite surprised and just a little bit annoyed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, actually while you bring that up, I'd really freakin' appreciate it if people didn't bring in off-board speculation in here, because of the nature of the Internet, you're likely being trolled by people who know what is going on and are actually about to spoil it for everyone else.

Bertholdt almost biting his hand is almost certainly someone trolling the reddit thread, sorry to tell you guys. Just stick to what you find in the thread inside of the thread.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm real glad Ymir isn't dead because I thought she was dead and I was pissed they offed her after the lesbian reveal. Also what the gently caress this series is nuts

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Bertholdt almost biting his hand is almost certainly someone trolling the reddit thread, sorry to tell you guys. Just stick to what you find in the thread inside of the thread.

The problem of group internet discussion is, it might be, it might not be. I've read thorough the manga thread to see reactions to scenes like this, and people were noticing and speculating on Bertoldt desperately biting his hand before Chapter 42 - Warrior even came out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Now Dorohedoro just needs an anime adaptation and my life will be complete.

I doubt there is any animation style that can Dorohedoro justice. The art is as unique as everything else in there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Catalina posted:

The problem of group internet discussion is, it might be, it might not be. I've read thorough the manga thread to see reactions to scenes like this, and people were noticing and speculating on Bertoldt desperately biting his hand before Chapter 42 - Warrior even came out.

Which is why I'd like to keep the discussion local forums only, because we aren't going to be trolling you here. If you read something off-board, leave it to someone else to speculate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

trucutru posted:

I doubt there is any animation style that can Dorohedoro justice. The art is as unique as everything else in there.

I'd agree with you if not for the MP100 anime. Bones showed us that adapting such a distinct art style and doing it justice is at least theoretically possible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when I first heard of this series, I thought it was gonna be something in space, possibly involving giant robots. the name just fits for scifi, y'know? but I stopped being interested after seeing the doofy titans running around and only came back around when I saw the giant bomb quick look for the game because the way the characters get around is cool as hell

this is way more intense than I thought it'd be. they don't waste a second in this show. wouldn't have thought the titans would be at all frightening either but their goofy looks actually adds to it. this is a really good show

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

when I first heard of this series, I thought it was gonna be something in space, possibly involving giant robots. the name just fits for scifi, y'know?

The manga eventually began to use "Shingeki no Kyojin" to refer to Eren as "the Attack/Advancing Titan" (as opposed to the Colossal or the Armored Titan etc). Of course we only found out when it was way to late to change the english title, so we're stuck with that now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ah that makes sense, tho attack on titan is a much better english name even if it doesn't

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tamba posted:

The manga eventually began to use "Shingeki no Kyojin" to refer to Eren as "the Attack/Advancing Titan" (as opposed to the Colossal or the Armored Titan etc). Of course we only found out when it was way to late to change the english title, so we're stuck with that now.

The best part of this is was managing to render Commie's pretentious translation of "The Eotena Onslaught" even more retarded.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The best part of this is was managing to render Commie's pretentious translation of "The Eotena Onslaught" even more retarded.

I wish I could have forgotten that dumbass name, but it sticks with you. I'll take the somewhat awkward, but much better "Attack on Titan" any day.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I remember early in the manga days when it had various names like "advance of titans" or "attack of the giants". Me and my friends used to make up dumb-yet-still-technically-correct translated names for it like "large dude charge" or "entrance of big guys".

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Popehoist posted:

I remember early in the manga days when it had various names like "advance of titans" or "attack of the giants". Me and my friends used to make up dumb-yet-still-technically-correct translated names for it like "large dude charge" or "entrance of big guys".

here come the boys

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My dumb folder is still called "Attack on the Titan", the wrongest name.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the name attack on titan. it's a cool sounding name that sounds perfectly fine until you actually know what it's about, where it becomes kinda nonsense

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

when I first heard of this series, I thought it was gonna be something in space, possibly involving giant robots. the name just fits for scifi, y'know? but I stopped being interested after seeing the doofy titans running around and only came back around when I saw the giant bomb quick look for the game because the way the characters get around is cool as hell

this is way more intense than I thought it'd be. they don't waste a second in this show. wouldn't have thought the titans would be at all frightening either but their goofy looks actually adds to it. this is a really good show

I mean the named titans basically are giant mecha robots, except made of flesh

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

mabels big day posted:

This just makes me think of Titanfall. Now I want an Attack on Titan game that is Multiplayer similar to Titanfall, considering recent developments in the Manga, we may be headed there already.
Lets put Cannons on Armin and a Giant Sword on Eren's Arm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

trucutru posted:

Akira style but utterly filthy

Lovechop posted:

here come the boys
fuckin lol

mabels big day posted:

the term is Meat Mecha.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 12, 2017

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Eren's titan form is totally modeled after Unit 01, right? Just checking here.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

Philip Rivers posted:

Yes and Mikasa is Reí Ayanami, Gendo is Erens Dad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Armin Levi is Misato.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who is the Jet Alone of Attack on Titan?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rod Reiss

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
:geno: "Get in the Titan, Eren."

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tamba posted:

At least that bodes well to where this series is going: Eren shoving his titan foot up every other titan's rear end.

Lovechop posted:

here come the boys

my titan form is a 40k ork

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

That reveal went from the most low key thing to the most intense thing ever. Hey Eren actually we're the biggest deals you in? [cut to why he is not in, cut back] I AM NOT IN. AARRGGGGGHHHH

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

At least that bodes well to where this series is going: Eren shoving his titan foot up every other titan's rear end.

Reiner's greatest mistake will be teaching The Survey Corps the Titans' secret second weakness...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Philip Rivers posted:

Actually it's modeled after mixed martial artist Yushin Okami. The armored titan is Brock Lesnar.

The bodies, at least. The faces obviously not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well I almost forgot all about this show entirely due to the hiatus, and I never got around to reading the manga, so it coming back all of a sudden was a pleasant surprise.

It's so good, man. Like the first season was good, but very much flawed, but this time they're just pulling out all the stops. I think I went "holy poo poo" out loud like 8 times over the last two episodes. The Nanaba death scene is one of the darkest things I have seen in a show ever, jesus christ.

But yeah the way Reiner and Bertholdt were like "oh by the way" was so, I don't wanna say genius, but man what a loving ballsy, hilarious thing to do just out of nowhere. I guess most people had already figured out Reiner, but still.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
At this point anyone who survived season 1 has got to play a huge part in the story. I can't think of a single character from the rookies in s1 that aren't going to be a major player in season 2 anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
One thing I think S2 definitely has over S1 is because this season has fewer episodes, there's a lot less wasted space, I think. There's nothing quite so indulgent as Eren's flashback to the Levi Squad while he was running away from the Female Titan. The closest thing in S2, the Christa / Ymir flashback, only lasted half the episode. I'd be hard-pressed to say which episodes I'd remove from S1 or cut down, but there was fat that could have been trimmed. Seems like it's easier for Production I.G. to work with a shorter season.

• Locked thread