Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Years back when the chapter this episode ended on came out, I made a really lovely edit because this fella reminded me of someone.

Hopefully now there is video someone can actually do it justice. I'm poo poo with video

Izzhov posted:

Oh, really? Did you predict a titan loving talking?

Didn't we already learn that? Or did the anime not include that scene with the compulsive diary-writer and the Titan who was like "sorry Ymir's people?" I know the anime re-arranged some things and changed outright others but I can't recall if that was one of them.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who were those characters that were waiting in the house? Don't remember them
Wait, you mean to say you don't even remember Potato Girl Sasha??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
My favorite part was how Ymir gave Krista poo poo for abandoning her real name to take up a fake one and play pretend while she, Ymir, chose to continue using her name when given her second lease on life

and in this episode we find out Ymir is her fake name

dat Ymir for ya. :v:

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
It honestly might be my favorite exchange in the series: "!? Yeah, I wouldn't expect titans to say anything like that! They'd be too busy trying to eat me!!" "Every--everyone has a fault or two, right!? If you can just ignore that bit, they aren't so bad!"

There are a lot of top contenders, though.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Mordaedil posted:

I urge everyone to rewatch season 1 to get totally mindfucked over all of the hints that there were that you missed the first time over.

Because there's a ton of them. You didn't even notice them the first time.

My favorite is one I didn't notice until now, happening from a whim to re-watch the training episodes.

And Eren was like "woah, she looks really pissed." Huh, I wonder what happened when they came here.... Ah, right.

holy poo poo Reiner

E-flat fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 20, 2017

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think the anime's version focuses on themes of personhood. Its focused more on the social and ethical dimensions of what it means to be a human, Eren's use of rage and anger in the fight overcomes Annie's cold rationality. Which one is in fact more monstrous? I think there is something to be implied here about the relationship of emotions and one's humanity, that, in a way, calculated killing is the most dehumanizng than Eren's monsterous, emotional form. Annie - supported by her father - becoming the ethical ubermensch, beholden to noone, whose moral 'good' is only a relational property between individuals (" I'm glad I could be good to you Arwin") , is more monsterous and inhuman than the mindless titans or Eren's all-encompassing, generalizing rage. I think the show is trying to develop a conflict along these ideological lines of detached moral reasoning and more involved, first-person perspective on practical reasoning. Their fight can be seen as a conflict between these ideologies of personhood and I think Eren's victory, and the way he comes about this victory, is an endorsement of the latter ideology as being the more naturally human (not necessarily 'good', one thing I appreciate about this show is it steers clear from straightforward good versus evil narratives. I think it's more interested in playing with frameworks than moralizing.)

I think you have a good idea here--Armin's character arc so far has been realizing you need to sacrifice parts of your humanity to succeed (see: his approval of Erwin's rather cold plan to draw out the suspected other titan shifter(s) sacrificing tons of survey corps members to do so, and his 'what would best emotionally destroy Bertolt' moment in this season), but I wonder about Annie's "cold rationality." Certainly, she tries to be like that, but... general sweatiness and lack of initiation aside, Bertolt was honestly the most 'successful' warrior in terms of keeping his emotions from interfering with their plan(s?). His biggest mistake was probably not re-injuring Ymir to be on the safe side and ensure she couldn't pull any shenanigans on their escape from the survey corps rescue, which she did. Reiner completely mentally dissociated, and Annie had her own moments of unnecessarily risking herself saving people during the Trost arc. In fact, in the flashback Reiner has where Marco's eaten, they're all there, so we can assume they all had a hand in killing him, or at least share responsibility. Reiner and Bertolt have wet eyes, but Annie is the one trembling, fiercely trying to hold back crying. And the one brokenly apologizing to some random dead mook in the aftermath of Trost. (At least I'm pretty sure that wasn't Marco.)

To be fair and to your point, Annie totally does completely remorselessly and brutally kill the survey corps members (really, swinging a guy by his 3DM gear like a toy?) as the female titan... well, those she didn't personally know. In her own way, she even tried to persuade Connie and Armin from joining the survey corps (whom she knew she'd have to slaughter her way through to get to Eren)--even Armin says as much during that scene. (In fact, I'd argue Armin being in the top ten isn't because he has "the devil's own luck," but because he's smart as hell. He picked up on all that 'foreshadowing' we missed and surmised Erwin's secret plan before we were told it, after all.) Because she couldn't kill Armin when she had the chance (twice!), and because she was glad that she could be a 'good person' to someone who was her enemy, she as herself says had failed as a warrior. Her using those terms "be a good person to you" is her just parroting Armin's line. If anything, Eren acts more how you describe: he unilaterally decides what's the right thing to do, such as calculatedly killing two grown men as a nine-year-old, for example, or that everyone--military and civilian leaders--should just shut up and put their trust in him and let him do everything, and Levi even says the monstrous thing about Eren isn't his titan powers but that no matter how you cage or try to suppress him Eren will never submit.

Annie's thing with Marlow--that dude in the MP who was like Eren, trying to go against the flow and act righteously to correct wrongs in the system--says a lot too. Well, I think the anime may have changed it a bit, but her gist was that people like those guys, who'd 'go against the flow' and fight corruption/whatever just cause they advocate are rare, special; that most people would just go with the flow, going along where they see injustice, put their personal well-being above 'doing the right thing.' She even says that she agrees with Marlowe that the latter are scum/trash, certainly not righteous, (herself included) but that isn't doing the latter 'what normal people do?' and says she just wants those too weak to do what is right, not what is easy (:v:) like her to be considered people too. That doesn't scream ethical ubermensch to me. (Annie's 'going with the flow' being, of course, whatever mission the warriors' hometown sent child soldiers warriors to do, which whatever it is/was, necessarily would involve killing a lot of people.)

Like I said, I think you're right with the general idea, the show's themes involve the concept of personhood, humanity, monstrosity, etc, but I think it's a conflict of ideology on a more general level, or at least within, rather than between any of the protagonists and antagonists. All struggle (or importantly, don't--and so far, it's those inside the walls who've been more successful throwing away their humanity) with those concepts. Annie is the one who looks horrified after being thrown into the church and realizing she's crushed people (or at least in the anime, acknowledged). Eren didn't give any shits about collateral damage during that fight in either version. But I'm not sure the fight can be seen as that conflict between the conflicting ideologies either, as Annie's desperation to escape during the entire fight was palpable. I'm honestly not sure if or for how long she intended to even still go after Eren after transforming; it's hard to tell where she moved in relation to where Eren's buried under the rubble. Rewatching those scenes, she turns in the right direction to be going after Eren after making sure Mikasa is out of the picture, but the next shot we see her walking we don't see the pile of rubble, and the smoke we see is from her building destruction that took out Mikasa, so she could conceivably have changed direction because Armin wasn't blocking her path, having gone to Eren's rubble. I honestly don't know if it's an anime oversight or if she had already walked by the rubble so it's not in view. v:v:v

holy poo poo this was long I'm sorry. Also, e;fb by someone more succinct aha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

ATP_Power posted:

Yeah, we can all see different themes in a work of fiction. I'm just expanding on what I was trying to get at originally and building off of your frame to do so.

I'd also add that what I'm discussing is purely about what's been shown in the show, even if my reading is colored by knowing what's coming.

I'd like to say same, but I do reference the manga, so I can't with clear conscience, although I do also only discuss things shown in the show, as an aside or because I wasn't 100% solid on how accurate/clear Annie's point was in her lil' monologue to the MPs were (at least re: the crunchyroll translation). My intent was to quibble with your characterization of Annie: I believe she held a substantial amount of sentiment for someone described as having 'cold rationality,' and that I felt the ideological dichotomy of 'cold, detached' and 'hot-blooded emotionality' is present but perhaps not symbolized by that particular fight. And that to my very limited understanding of ubermensch Eren probably fit that label more. No beef. v:shobon:v

Conspiratiorist posted:

Armin wasn't in the 104th top 10 lol.

The thing about his luck is that he's been an inch away from death in every single combat situation he's been in, and saved by the intercession of either Eren, Mikasa, or Annie sparing him.

I am also an idiot who cannot count and has poor reading comprehension, so there ya go :sweatdrop:

But hey, well, I mean there was that one time he uh... uh, well, yeah, what about that time in Trost with the Eren-boulder mission? He, uh.... was saved by Levi. Well, what about that moral victory he had against the bullies beating him up--oh wait, Eren interrupts that. Dammit, armin, you're not helping. ...Well, I guess if you don't consider Mikasa pulling Eren and Armin away from about-to-transform Annie as a combat situation yet, he doesn't need to get saved during that? Oh, oh, he's there as the reinforcements to mop up the remaining titans at utgard castle! I'm pretty sure he participated in that!

• Locked thread