Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Gonna be honest, I was a little disappointed the beast titan wasn't chucking horses at the tower instead. Dude seems to just hate horses for some reason. Based on the opening, also looking forward to seeing him summon a whale, a giraffe and a dinosaur apparently. Over the 4 drat years since the last season I absorbed a vague awareness of some of these plot twists but not enough to rob them of their impact so far.

And thanks for the flashback to Blood-C, guys. Turns out that's actually painful to watch when you give a poo poo about any of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Way, way back, before the anime was even announced I read roughly the first 12 chapters or so, thought it was really cool and then lost track of it completely. I've considered catching up on the manga more than once, but like JoJo, the anime is good enough that I don't really feel like I'm missing much.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

man that escalated quickly

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Your Monkey's Paw curls a single finger as the studio behind smash hit Berserk 2016 enters into negotiations with the current license holder.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Or until the author goes insane and barricades himself in his studio screaming about how the titans want to eat him. It worked for the YYH author!

I feel like I'd be annoyed if any other show kept breaking up the action with flashbacks like this, but it helps the pacing's pretty brisk otherwise.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You say that, but in the most recent manga chapter you find out the entire setting is the result of residual saltiness from the 2016 primaries.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I dunno, the casual way they decided "gently caress it, just cut off his arms, he'll be less trouble that way" was pretty eyebrow-raising for me.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe this was naive of me but I genuinely was not expecting the titan that killed Eren's mother to show up again. There's nothing in the logic of the story that rules it out, of course--we've already been told titans basically live forever unless someone carves them up. But their vendetta was never framed as a hatred for one specific titan. Why make that callback now? It also didn't seem like one of the intelligent mutants either, so I can't imagine Eren and Mikasa having trouble killing it. (Unless it turns out to be Sasha or something.) I dunno, just seems sort of anti-climatic? Unless that's the point, I suppose.

Still a hell of an episode though. Every time these saps clash with the titans I find myself wincing.

also, jfc Armin what the hell

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I concede the point. I'm too used to straightforward shonen where having multiple broken bones just gets you more fired up.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Middle episodes dragged things out, but that still managed to be one of the best 1-cour series of the year to date. Were we supposed to recognize the dude who was chilling on (and I assumed was previously 'piloting') Monkey Troubles? Someone upthread suggested Eren's dad but that doesn't make sense--they had 3D maneuvering gear years before his dad vanished, and the Beast Titan seemed genuinely surprised by it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't think the spoiler tags are necessary at this point, now that the season is over. Maybe just stuff in the very last episode?

But as to the first, I don't think it's a stretch at this point to conclude there's more than one city left after all. Ymir spent a while as a Titan, but not so long that that everyone currently alive would forget "oh yeah, we used to execute people by injecting them with titan serum and kicking them off the wall, didn't we; what was up with that?" Not to mention the 'hometown' that Reiner and Beartatoto keep referring to. What the scale and nature of the place is like remains to be seen, but I think we can safely say at least one other city exists.

Regarding the second point, I don't think there is any great secret to transforming from Titan to human--I suspect it just takes a lot of effort and focus. The transformation is also likely to be very traumatic, based on Ymir's flashback, and if you don't know changing back is possible in the first place it's entirely possible you might just give up and let the elements cover you the way she did. Eating that guy isn't what changed her back, but fulfilling that directive (which all Titans possess in some form it seems, because they certainly don't need to eat) somehow aided her in regaining her focus/sanity long enough to revert.

What this says about Titans in general is less clear. I'm currently thinking of them as being something akin to an automated weapons system--big fleshy mecha, essentially. Maybe not every titan has a human inside of it, and they're like drones running on auto-pilot. Alternatively, if you spend long enough fused to a titan's brain stem maybe you just get absorbed and lose your sense of self. Maybe that's what happens to almost everyone, unless you have some unique trait that allows you to maintain control. Think about it: the trio of foreign shifters were evidently supposed to wipe out the remnants of humanity hiding behind the walls. So whoever ordered them to do it just sent 3 dudes over the course of 10 years? Gotta be something keeping them from being mass produced, no?

edit: also this seems like a good time to ask whether the ending credits map to anything later in the series. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was thinking specifically of the mural depicting a king looking on as his children(?) unhappily(?) devour someone. But in retrospect, the making a deal with a devil part is also terribly fraught, yes. :v:

• Locked thread